Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 very slow playback!

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I edit videos since some years with the same computer, the same hard disk, the same video format. I never had any problem;

But since the new 2020 Version of the Premiere Pro I have big problems: the playback is too slow that sometimes it doesn't play at all.

Please help me to understand what the problem is.

As I didn't change anything in the hardware I think the problem is the new version.

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yara5EF5,

Sorry about the poor experience. Have you tried clearing cache and resetting app preferences to isolate any cache/preference corruption issue that might be causing the app to misbehave? Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem the last few weeks can you take a look at my post here?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/%CC%B6a%CC%B6s%CC%B6k%CC%B6i%CC%B6n%CC%B6g%CC%B6-begging...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

I have the same issue.

I also assume the last update creates problems because before everything was just fine.

Now, by using the same workflow, the playback is super slow. 

I cleared media cache and tried all other tips and tricks to speed up but no luck yet.

My specs are the following:

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Mac Pro late 2013

Processor 2,7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Startup disk Machintosh HD

Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2G

PREMIERE PRO V14.5

PLEASE HELP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a video a few days ago, it said that adobe did move more of the encoding off the CPU and onto the GPU with updates 14.4 and optimizations into 14.5 to for those of us that are CPU heavy and GPU light, things are getting worse for us. With my latest encoding, I found only one thing helps, (I don't know if this applies to you) I was shooting in 4k and putting it in an FHD sequence and rending in FHD, putting my 4k footage into a 4k sequence, and then just rendering in FHD seem to help. Don't know why, but it cut loads of time off my renders, but I haven't yet found if this is repeatable yet. GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your replay!

"CPU heavy and GPU light" could you please explain to me how this relates to my owm computer specs?Simply posting a link with info on this topic would be very helpful.

Would you suggest downgrading to the previuos PP version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, "CPU heavy and GPU light" refers to the relative performance balance between the CPU and the GPU - in this case, too much CPU but too little GPU.

However, all that gets thrown out the window, in the case of your computer: These improvements are primarily based on computers with much newer hardware than yours. Your computer, according to Adobe, is officially too old to properly run any newer version of Premiere Pro because these newer versions require hardware feature support that is absent or poorly implemented in older hardware like yours.

And before you downgrade (or rather retrograde) to an older version of Premiere Pro, be aware that versions that are older than the 13.1.5 (2019) version are now no longer available anymore due to the change in Adobe's older-version availability policy which went into effect on May 8, 2019 that restricts availability to the two most recent major versions of any Creative Cloud software programs. 13.1.5 is still available because the current 14.5 version is merely a point release of the 14.x line (however, the 2019 versions of some other Creative Cloud apps are now no longer available since the 2021 versions of those programs are now available).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365 is right about the more stringent hardware requirements as you upgrade premiere  however I'm running a macbookpro from 2012 with premiere 2019 and 2020 without any serious issues.  However, if I've got demanding sources, I rely on a proxy workflow...  I also make sure never to delete previous versions of premiere so I've also got 2017 and 18 on my system if I need to open a problematic legacy project.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences and/or reseting your workspace?
Reset your preferences by holding shift+alt (or option) when you launch Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you everyone! 

I fixed it by downgrading back just one version.

True that my computer is too old! I will be careful and don't upgrade for now !

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines