Premiere Pro 2020 won't playback and crashes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Premiere Pro 2020 and now all my projects won't work. While playing a sequence it will get stuck immediately and repeatedly display "A low-level exception occurred in Adobe Player (Player:6)" and will then freeze/crash and close itself sometime later after doing nothing. I recently updated my Macbook Pro to MacOS Catalina too. I've tried resetting preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling, ensuring my mac is fully up to date, restarting, etc. I need to work on projects urgently. Is anyone else having this problem?

Only other thing I can think of is when I updated to MacOS Catalina there were many old (pre Creative Cloud) Adobe apps that no longer worked so I deleted them.  As far as I know I didnt delete anything backend that was required for the CC apps.

[Moved from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davidarbor | Adobe Community Professional

It could definitely be format related. While I haven't gotten this error, I've been diving back into Premiere head first on a large project with over 500 GB of footage, most of it AVCHD UHD from a Sony a7R III and I haven't been thrilled with playback. I started using the native proxy workflow today and I'm so much happier: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ingest-proxy-workflow-premiere-pro-cc-2015.html

I have a very beefy machine so I can get away with using the H.264 preset without lag, but I encourage you to look into that. You don't have to do anything other than right-click on a bunch of footage, choose Proxy > Create Proxies, then choose a preset and a location for your files. Premiere will transcode them in AME in the background and automatically start using proxies the moment they're transcoded. There is a button you can add to your Program monitor to toggle proxies on and off. 

A few things to note (this is directly from the linked article):

• When you render Previews, Export Media or use certain Analysis effects (Warp Stabilizer, Rolling Shutter Repair, Morph Cut), Premiere Pro always uses and displays Full Res, regardless of the Toggle/Enable Proxies setting. The only exception is when you have Offline Full Res, but Proxy is Online, then Proxy is used.

So if you're using Warp Stabilizer or other effects your proxies won't be used. Also, if you're exporting you don't have to worry about disabling proxies—your full res media will always be used. This workflow has made me a much happier person today and Premiere is flying. Also, as a side note, I haven't experienced any instability or crashes in Pr 2020. The Premiere team has really made strides in the last year and it's showing.

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro 2020 won't playback and crashes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Premiere Pro 2020 and now all my projects won't work. While playing a sequence it will get stuck immediately and repeatedly display "A low-level exception occurred in Adobe Player (Player:6)" and will then freeze/crash and close itself sometime later after doing nothing. I recently updated my Macbook Pro to MacOS Catalina too. I've tried resetting preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling, ensuring my mac is fully up to date, restarting, etc. I need to work on projects urgently. Is anyone else having this problem?

Only other thing I can think of is when I updated to MacOS Catalina there were many old (pre Creative Cloud) Adobe apps that no longer worked so I deleted them.  As far as I know I didnt delete anything backend that was required for the CC apps.

[Moved from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davidarbor | Adobe Community Professional

It could definitely be format related. While I haven't gotten this error, I've been diving back into Premiere head first on a large project with over 500 GB of footage, most of it AVCHD UHD from a Sony a7R III and I haven't been thrilled with playback. I started using the native proxy workflow today and I'm so much happier: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ingest-proxy-workflow-premiere-pro-cc-2015.html

I have a very beefy machine so I can get away with using the H.264 preset without lag, but I encourage you to look into that. You don't have to do anything other than right-click on a bunch of footage, choose Proxy > Create Proxies, then choose a preset and a location for your files. Premiere will transcode them in AME in the background and automatically start using proxies the moment they're transcoded. There is a button you can add to your Program monitor to toggle proxies on and off. 

A few things to note (this is directly from the linked article):

• When you render Previews, Export Media or use certain Analysis effects (Warp Stabilizer, Rolling Shutter Repair, Morph Cut), Premiere Pro always uses and displays Full Res, regardless of the Toggle/Enable Proxies setting. The only exception is when you have Offline Full Res, but Proxy is Online, then Proxy is used.

So if you're using Warp Stabilizer or other effects your proxies won't be used. Also, if you're exporting you don't have to worry about disabling proxies—your full res media will always be used. This workflow has made me a much happier person today and Premiere is flying. Also, as a side note, I haven't experienced any instability or crashes in Pr 2020. The Premiere team has really made strides in the last year and it's showing.

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a new project with some of the same footage to see if the issue is just with your project? If a new project plays back then I could try clearing your Media Cache: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/FAQ-How-to-clean-delete-or-trash-media-cache-files/td-p/...

******[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]******

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seemed to work fine on a new project for the short time I tried, so I binned the media cache with Premiere closed and restarted the computer just in case. It worked again after that for 5 minutes but then the 'Low level exception occurred...' popped up again and the timeline won't play.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was try everything but adobe not work i was sending 1|0000000 crash report but no way

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you narrow this down to one clip or a specific format of footage? What kind of footage are you working with?

******[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]******

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just done a test on a new project with lots of different video files and it worked fine until I added the specific clip that I was trying to play in the sequence last time. Suddenly the error comes back and Premiere crashes again. Very strange because prior to the update this clip worked absolutely fine. This specific clip is H.264 quicktime format, although Im editing with others of that format too so not sure why this one  suddenly has this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use slog 2 4k sony A7 iii

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have just gotten lucky last time. If this is the only problem clip I would try converting it to something like ProRes or Cineform and working with that instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Working on a 2013 Mac Pro, running 10.15.1 Have tried Metal, OpenCL and Software rendering. All result in a low level exception-Player:56 and Player:63. This was a brand new project started in 2020 version. All footage is ProRes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as well with Premiere 2020. For the time being I have resorted to re-building my current project in Premiere 2019 so I can actually work on it.

On iMac 5K, late 2014, 4 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 4GB graphics and running Mojave 10.14.6.

Footage is 1080p59.94 .mov files from JVC LS300. 

A huge string of the errors pops up in the log and the audio of the current clip that was playing continues while the video remains frozen. The only way to get out of it is to force quit and even that didn't work a couple of times (had to hard restart the whole computer). Also tried clearing media cache but issue persists.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here! @Adobe, how can we fix this? 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0