Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 works annoyingly slow

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

few days ago Creative Cloud was in sale at around €45 so I finally took the chance to upgrade, since I'm using the 2015 version of Premiere and Photoshop since years now. So, Im on the latest version now.

However. Today I tried Premiere Pro 2020 the first time and I can only say I'm kind of upset about the way it works. The program monitor (hope that's how it's called, Im a german user) lags hard, basically everytime I'm playing my footage. You know, in the 2015 version I could play the preview of a project including 2 1080p60 video lines, one of them even with ultra key (facecam). The program monitor could deal with it, even in full quality. Only at some points, when several effects happened at the same time, I had to pause it for a brief moment or set it on 1/2 quality in order to have it running fluently.

Now, in 2020, I can definitely forget about a preview in full quality, which already sucks. It lags extrem, basically you cannot work with that. But even on 1/2 quality, it still lags. Including an ultra key or some other effects, I have to put it on 1/4 quality to keep running, which is just ridiculous to be honest. My hardware hasen't changes since the uprade, let me list my specs for you guys:

CPU: Intel i7-7700k @ 4,2Ghz

RAM: G-Skill 32GB Kit 3600Mhz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti

SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket M.2

As I said, I used completely the same hardware in Premiere Pro 2015. I find my GPU idling while I'm using Premiere but that was just like that in 2015, so I think its normal. CUDA is turned on but doesn't seem to help. Is there anything in 2020 that could be set wrong or something? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Frankly I didn't intend to upgrade my CPU to an i9 yet so I hope there's something you guys can help me with. Otherwise - if this should be normal and Premiere 2020 just uses (way) more CPU than 2015 - I probably go back to 2015, because this is really nothing I can work with..

Let me know if you have any guidance for me!

Thanks ahead!

Regards,

Phil

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try installing premiere 2019 and see if the performance is any better.  2019 has many of the newer features and may perform better.    2019 is the earliest version available from adobe as part of the creative cloud.  worth a shot.  You might also try some of the earlier versions of 2020 that should be available for download.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your files? Sometimes using h264 doesn't make Premiere very happy. If you can upgrade your video card that would help. Other than that, I'd say your computer meets recommendations as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't have a useful reply. Other than to say I fully agree that the latest versions of Premiere have taken a big step backward in usability. Footage that used to play perfectly fine in Premiere just a few months ago is now a stuttering mess. Something is broken in Premiere, I'm going to try a rollback to an older version today I guess. (Something I shouldn't have to do when I pay hundreds of dollars a year for numerous years now). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys, thanks for the rapid answers!

Basically the problem has been solved otherwise. The files are all h264's, yes. Now, that you mention this, Graeme Bull, I guess I always had smaller malfunctions in the 2015 version (sometimes the preview got stuck for a few seconds, stuff like that). Might be because I'm using h264.

@Michael Grenadier: Actually, grading down wouldn't be an option to me. Mostly because of what mandicreally said. If I pay that much money for a software it simply has to work better than its prequel(s), period. If not, I unsubscribe and rather use my 2015 version for which Im not paying a cent monthly.

But, as I said, the problem solved itself. I searched the internet for problems like mine and found a very helpful video on youtube, which suggests to make some changes in the nVidia control panel, which I did. Since then, my cpu usage has decreased by 20-30% and my gpu finally gets used by 10-20% more than before. Let me share the link to the video, might help some others too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIyWXyGY1rw

Thanks again guys, this case is closed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This helped my performance too. Recommended to watch. Essentially it removes all the "auto" functionality that is in there by default and tells your GPU to work harder and max itself out when it can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines