Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2021 99% CPU Usage When Exporting

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

With the latest version of PP (v15.0) I'm getting consistent 89-99% CPU usage when exporting a video file. Normally I'd be happy that PP is finally utilizing more of the system's resources however the export times are the same as they were before it started using all of the CPU so really all it's doing is slowing down my PC for multitasking while a video is rendering.

Specs:

- Windows 10

- Premiere Pro 2021 v15.0

- AMD Threadripper 3970X

-128GB DDR4 RAM

- Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition

- M.2 SSD

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Thank you, that's good to know. Although even before the 2021 update I had been exporting ProRes and the CPU usage never went that high.

Overall I think it was something weird going on between the version of PPro and a GPU driver, I've since updated the GPU driver again and the problem has gone away so far thankfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the encoding setting? Is this set for Hardware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encoding settings are as follows (been using these settings since ProRes was added and never encountered this issue):

Format: Quicktime

Video Codec: Apple ProRes 422 HQ

Quality: 100

Width: 3840

Height: 2160

Frame Rate: 23.976

Field Order: Progressive

Apect: Square Pixels 1.0

Render at Maximum Depth: Yes

Export Color Space: Rec 709

Depth: 16-bpc

Use Maximum Render Quality: Yes

How do I check if the renderer is set for hardware or software? My project playback is set to hardware (CUDA) if that's what the renderer pulls it's export mode from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the color of a timeline render bar, red or yellow? Having near 100% CPU load for a red one is normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's yellow - but also just so I'm clear - I'm not talking about playback or rendering in the timeline I'm talking about when exporting the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's yellow - but also just so I'm clear - I'm not talking about playback or rendering in the timeline I'm talking about when exporting the video.

Export = rendering  + encoding. So yes, it's still applies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render at Maximum Depth: Yes

Depth: 16-bpc

Use Maximum Render Quality: Yes

By @Reel Bump

Un-check Render at Maximum Depth and Use Maximum Render Quality unless you know what they do and you know that you really need them. The majority don´t need any of those boxes checked and if they still do it do often cause issues, such as slowdowns.

Read why, how and when here: What are those check boxes doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a re-render with those boxes unchecked - same outcome 99-100% CPU usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Mercury Playback enabled in the Project Settings panel? File/Project Settings/General?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding onto this - Starting a new project I'm receiving the same CPU usage when importing files (Panasonic GH5s 4K V-Log files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of that high CPU usage is that there is absolutely no hardware encoding whatsoever to ProRes. All encoding is software only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's good to know. Although even before the 2021 update I had been exporting ProRes and the CPU usage never went that high.

Overall I think it was something weird going on between the version of PPro and a GPU driver, I've since updated the GPU driver again and the problem has gone away so far thankfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious, what drivers are you using for your NVIDIA gpu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Currently, my laptop is having the same problem as yours but I have tried everything you can but the CPU is still above 90%. I don't know what the fault is. Could you help me???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem, been out of work 5 months now trying to find a fix. CPU Running at 100%, GPU at 0% even with 64GB of ram, a new ROG STRIX Z690-E motherboard, RTX 3090 and a 12th Gen i9... I mean no matter what hardware/settings/version I use, I just simply can't get adobe to run stable. The program even causes BSOD sometimes at random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i solve my problem. one of the clip and images i used is to big like 8000 x 10000 pixel. thats why my broke ass pc cant handle the render. so i change to smaller images and it works fine. hope this help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines