• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro and Rush both really choppy and laggy

New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To whomever can help. I have a new computer that is more than powerful enough to handle editing from rush and premiere pro. 

The programs were working fine, and then out of nowhere they started acting really laggy and choppy. The sound and video preview like they are sped up and are really slow. I've reset the preferences, and also uninstalled all adobe programs and then reinstalled. The problem still persists.

I am using a Lenovo Flex 14

Product Flex-14API
Region NA
Country/Region USA
Machine Type 81SS
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700U (4C / 8T, 2.3 / 4.0GHz, 2MB L2 / 4MB L3)
Graphics Integrated AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics
Chipset AMD SoC Platform
Memory 4GB Soldered DDR4-2400 + 16 GB expandable
Storage 512GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe
TOPICS
Audio , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you actually have in that laptop? 4 GB? 20 GB?

If only 4 GB, then your system falls well short of the minimum total RAM requirement.

What's worse, no integrated GPU performs well at all in any video editing software no matter what. You see, Adobe treats any integrated GPU as having less than 2 GB of dedicated RAM. In fact, that integrated Vega 10 graphics is treated by Premiere Pro as having only 1.25 GB of VRAM for the purposes of Premiere Pro. No wonder why the dedicated graphics RAM gets depleted way too soon, forcing Premiere Pro to default to the software-only mode and staying there for the remainder of the given render.

In future versions of both Premiere Pro and Premiere Rush, a separate GPU chip with 4 GB or more of its own VRAM will be required to run either of those two programs at all. Systems with only integrated graphics will not run either program at all in the future.

By the way, the "Radeon Vega 10" that's in that laptop is NOT a discrete GPU at all. It is actually integrated into the Ryzen 7 3700U APU, and as such steals RAM from the main system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same configuration of my laptop and the exact same problem .....

So i would like to know if ur problem is solved or it still persists  ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That I cannot answer since the discussion starter did not specify exactly how much RAM is installed in that laptop. But the base configuration for the 3700U-powered model is 8 GB total RAM (4 GB intergrated on the motherboard plus one 4 GB SODIMM). That's cutting it close for Premiere Pro, especially since the integrated Radeon Vega graphics steals up to 2 GB of that RAM, leaving the user with no more than 6 GB of RAM available to run the OS and programs. This will cause stuttering, especially when the PC is forced to use the installed m.2 SSD for its page file. And big page files naturally take a lot longer to access than small page files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there RjL190365

My laptop has this config 

Ryzen 7 3700U

8 Gb RAM 

512 GB SSD 

1. Vega 10 integrated graphics

No dedicated GPU

so can i expect the premiere pro to ever run smoothly or not .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"so can i expect the premiere pro to ever run smoothly or not ."

With those specs: No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try installing an older version of Premiere... But even then that is no guarantee it will run to your liking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Peru Bob stated, no. No integrated on-CPU graphics is powerful enough for any type of video editing, especially since all integrated graphics steal too much of your system's installed RAM just for itself. In the case of the integrated Vega 10 graphics, it can steal almost all of your system's paltry 8 GB of RAM just for itself, leaving you with virtually no RAM whatsoever remaining for the OS and programs (including Premiere Pro). In fact, the Vega 10 can steal as much as 16 GB of any system's installed RAM! No wonder why lower-end laptops with only integrated graphics are completely unsuitable for video editing of any kind. You will practically need to upgrade such a laptop to 32 GB or more RAM just to avoid choking very badly under pressure - and their performance would still fall far behind an otherwise identical system with a decent discrete GPU. Otherwise, with just 8 GB of total RAM installed and the complete lack of a discrete GPU and discrete graphics RAM, your planned laptop will crash repeatedly due to the lack of sufficient available RAM to run any programs whatsoever whenever the integrated graphics is performing heavy processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines