Premiere pro bad preformance on high end computer

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my computer to a beastt of a pc and the preformane of premiere pro is basiclly the same as my old 4 year computer, there is literally no difference the export times are the same, the playback is as bad as always, effects aren't working, It crashes oftenly. And also when I export It uses like 10% of cpu.

My specs

AMD ryzen 3950x

Nvidia rtx 3080

64gb ram

a fast ssd

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere pro bad preformance on high end computer

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my computer to a beastt of a pc and the preformane of premiere pro is basiclly the same as my old 4 year computer, there is literally no difference the export times are the same, the playback is as bad as always, effects aren't working, It crashes oftenly. And also when I export It uses like 10% of cpu.

My specs

AMD ryzen 3950x

Nvidia rtx 3080

64gb ram

a fast ssd

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one SSD?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One for programms and os, and one for video editing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro can be tricky. It needs to be setup 100% correct. A simple windows update can cause problems. The video below might be helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I wacthed the video but I have It setup like It show in the video

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. I start with the basics. Then driver updates. Last but not least Nvida control panel. The RTX 3000 series will probalby get new drivers steadily for the next couple of months. I am not saying that is the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might look into updating the chipset for the AMD processor.

Is the RAM speed adjusted in the bios? On a similar computer I had to change to a custom profile in the bios.

Make sure you're using the latest studio driver for the video card. It's a brand new GPU so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few kinks that get worked out over time with that.

You didn't say anything about the kind of media you're working with, or what you're doing with it in your project. Hardware is an important factor, but you'd be surprised how often people don't understand the importance of the media they work with. Hardware does not completely negate workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I updated the chipset and adjusted the ram speed to 3200 like It's advertised for my ram and updated to the latest studio driver. I will test if this helped. I'm working with footage from sony a7iii, gopro hero8 and dji mavic air. I'm making a music video with a lot of effects and I know that's quite hard for the computer but still I could manage projects like this on my 4year old computer and there isn't much difference now with tihs new computer that's much better. I will see If your suggestions helped, thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a typical production workflow things like color and VFX are added toward the end of the process when editing speed/efficiency aren't as necessary. You might consider putting in a Global FX Mute toggle so that you don't need to be working with VFX while making editorial decisions.

fxMute.png

All of the footage you're working with is h264 or h265, which is a very poor codec for editing (think of it like having to unzip a file in real-time while you are scrubbing/playing). DJI products have a particularly challenging video stream to decode, from what I've experienced. Add VFX, color, or use multiple streams of any of these things and it'll make them even more difficult to work with. I have a couple of computers similar to the build you have and if I want any kind of speed while editing I'll usually transcode the h264/5 stuff or make proxies into an intermediate codec (good for editing).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

er, I'd be interested to hear your explanation of why my system (i9, 128G RAM and 2x SSD drives, built by an Adobe technician) can't evem play 5 seconds of black and white captions, no effects or even any video, without dropping frames.

h.264 is one of the most common codecs there is. Deal with it Adobe, that's what we pay you for. This used to play fine in previous versions of Premiere, so why all the problems now?

Rather than a Global FX button, we need a Global Reset button to switch back to CC2018, or even CS6 when video used to play fluently...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me, I tried everything and nothing worked, the only solution I had was to restart the whole pc from 0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar problem. Go to task manager and look at how many logical processes are working. For me, only two out of 28 were being used (and maxed out). My solution was to go to Nvidia control panel and in 3D settings make sure Threaded Optimisation is on, both for global and programme settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned It on but It doesn't make a difference. Task manager shows all cores working for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all your cores are working you might have a different problem. But there are other Nvidia settings you could try to change, for example setting Power Management to Maximum Performance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...having said that, Threaded Optimisation only helped with one problem, namely extremely sluggish controls. Now the programme is just about usable. However, video is still choppy and drops frames all over the place - even when playing a simple black and white text caption with no effects or even any video. This would be shocking on any system, let alone my £10k set up with i9, 128G RAM and 2x SSD drives. Instead of a global FX button, we need a global reset button to CS6 when videos used to work...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0