• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Captions are an absolute disaster!

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been unbeleiveably frustrated with captions in Premiere. It is incredibly unintuitive. Nothing centers correctly, sliding the start/end points of captions never works correctly, often times when edits are made I have to restart Premiere to even see the changes.

Simpy typing into Google the words "Premiere Pro" and "captions" brings up hundereds of instances of people struggling with captions. Why has nothing been changed yet? I have the latest version and I am always on a time crunch to get these videos captioned and exported. I am a professional editor and I would expect Adobe of all companies to make professional software function appropriately.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captions need a lot of work. No argument. But a lot has changed, and most releases have one or more caption fixes or additions. But the uses and goals of captions outside PR are complex, and the internal method is challenging. (The edited caption stream is a bunch of xml in the project file, and previews.)

It is especially frustrating that captions are now in such high demand. And the essential feature for PR/Open Captions, burning in, is a problem because there is a fundamental quality hit for captions compared to essential graphics text. Just tested again in 14.3.0. I suspect all the caption operations are tied to a text method that was designed for closed captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a contributing author on a pro colorist's teaching website. So most of  the other authors and members are based in Resolve, some in Baselight or Avid. I used to assume that Premiere was simply not up the the others for captions.

That was not a correct assumption. In every app that I've been "around" the users, there are constant major complaints about captioning. It seems that certain plugins are better for each app, and those that do this daily get the plugin that works for that app and abandon the native captioning tools of the app.

I'm looking at a couple for Premiere myself.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines