Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC (2017) crashes at export

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I've just started a Premiere Pro trial a few days ago and edited a video which I'm unable to export.

The export fails over and over again for the most part at the same point (34%..) The error code is 1609629690.

I'm using a Surface Pro 3 Core i5 running Windows 10. I tried to export at least 30 times with no success while changing parameters etc. As part of the mitigation I tried the following steps: Restarted my Surface Pro, rendered smaller segments in order to identify segments that may be causing this issue, removed suspicious still photos, tried different output types and tried to export based on previews.

I've worked with other editing software before and never had these problems.

Would appreciate any advice.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Goju has not returned since 2016, so this thread has become a proverbial dumping ground for all people having trouble exporting video from Premiere Pro.

A good number of solutions are given to this issue, so unfortunately, there is no one "magic bullet" to solve all export issues. Sorry.

Some things to try if you get an "Error Compiling Movie" error dialog box.

• Delete Media Cache
  • Export to an intermediate codec like Cineform or ProRes instead of H.264

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue goju. I'm running macbook pro 15in 2016. During export the computer crashes, no error message, just pure crash. I'm on a deadline and can't find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  It seems to be a prevalent one when I google but I am not seeing solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by Apple to turn off the OpenCL GPU acceleration, It can be found in Premiere. Go to File-Project settings-General- Video rendering and playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I turn off OpenCL GPU acceleration and do "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" the render time is horrendously slow. This suggestion by Apple is not a fix. Weekly deadlines requires the speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not a real solution and just a work around but until somebody at Adobe gets together with someone at Apple were SOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me when I changed from OpenGPU to "Metal" instead of changing it to Sofware Only (since softwareOnly is slow to the point is not practical) Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I'm on a midnight deadline.  Going to re-do this on my Mac.  Premiere Pro 2017 on Windows 10 keeps crashing on export aprox 1 or so minutes in to it.  The file is only 15 minutes.

So irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I didn't make a ton of deadlines because of this issue. For now it seems stable, is your system still crashing? Also are you on a new Macbook Pro or are you running on a PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a PC. Adobe Premiere Pro 2017 used to crash at the 16%-point of a 4-minute video. I uninstalled and reinstalled both Premiere and Media Exporter and now the crash occurs as soon as an export format is chosen.

You folks are discussing issues that began in December. It's now mid-March and Adobe has done absolutely nothing to rectify a problem that renders their software unusable. Sums up my level of confidence in the alleged Wizards of San Jose. Can I get a partial refund on my Creative Cloud subscription, Adobe?

(I think we all know what Adobe's mercenary-yet-failed programmers will say, should they reply at all.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a pr CC user , i work with pr CS6 , and if CC is not that wonderful more than CS6 , then i can tell you guys a final solution .

No joking , pr is not for all your machines , you have to build a workstation to run it .

Check your hardware configs , i bet they are not workstation products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've occasionally had problems exporting directly through Premiere for inexplicable reasons, and learned to choose 'Queue' instead of 'Export' at the bottom of the Export window. That sends the export job out to Adobe Media Encoder, which seems to be more reliable - if not with it's own occasional hiccups. Plus, you can still use Premiere while Media Encoder handles the render. Although, that will either slow the render to a crawl or make Premiere drag. But it's still nice having that option.

It's something to try, if you can and you haven't already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still at a loss. Even with minimal settings (medium bit rate, 1-pass, medium audio) Media Encoder still crashes. This happens while CPU usage is in the mid-70 percentile, processor temp at 63 degrees centigrade. But analyzing what was encoded in PotPlayer, I came across something strange. Here's the readout. Note the boldface entry...

General

• Complete name: C:\Users\ML\Desktop\TEST 10.9772.121921.m4v
  • Format: AVC
  • Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
  • File size: 30.3 MiB
  • FileExtension_Invalid: avc h264 264

Video

• Format: AVC
  • Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
  • Format profile: Main@L4.1
  • Format settings, CABAC : Yes
  • Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
  • Width: 1 920 pixels
  • Height: 1 080 pixels
  • Display aspect ratio: 16:9
  • Frame rate: 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
  • Standard: NTSC
  • Color space: YUV
  • Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
  • Bit depth: 8 bits
  • Scan type: Progressive
  • Color range: Limited
  • Color primaries: BT.709
  • Transfer characteristics: BT.709
  • Matrix coefficients: BT.709

Is it normal for mp4 source material to be showing up as AVC in the General notes? Does Premiere Pro CC 2017 convert it to MPEG-4 on completion? Is the invalid H.264 extension corrected on completion, or is it possibly an incorrect association setting on my PC? I'm grabbing at straws, I know, but hoping for a solution.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully someone else can speak to the file analysis. It's over my head. But what I find curious from what you report is that your CPU usage isn't pegged at 100% during encode. The only time Premiere or Encoder lingered around 70% during any export on my machine turned out to be a glitch that seemed linked to the Mercury Playback Engine crashing GPU acceleration. Maybe that's something to look at.

In any case, I've been to war with Premiere a lot in five years and I've developed a throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-it method for when nothing makes sense anymore.

Ctrl+C your entire project to the clipboard, close premiere, rename (or if you're sure what you're doing - manually delete) Premiere's 'media cache' and 'media cache files' folders, re-open premiere, create a new project WITHOUT OPENING the original, instantiate the timeline with a clip of the correct resolution and frame rate, then CTRL+P everything back onto the timeline from the clipboard...

Then open Media Encoder and change preferences to "import sequences natively," before going back to premiere to queue for export. If the export fails while using GPU acceleration, try CPU only.

And if all of that doesn't shake something loose, you have to wonder if Premiere just doesn't like a certain clip that's being used in the project -- for whatever reason. And if that's the rub -- then it's down to the much maligned: re-encode source material through Handbrake, "method."

(Note: Premiere hates rendering from giant, high-res images, if anything like that is in use.)

I hope something in there helps, if you can be bothered to run the gambit of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, RotoPawn, but in spite of them, Premiere and Encoder still crash while exporting H.264 and other high-compression formats. I spent two hours on the phone today with Adobe Support, running through every test the long-suffering rep could muster. The problem persists. But this interesting phenom emerged . . .

I have an Intel i7-3770 running at 3.40 GHz, a quad core CPU with with hyperthreading the produces 8 virtual cores. It passed Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool (free online — Google it) with flying colors at temperatures 17° below maximum during rugged stress tests. This CPU and 16 GB of RAM clearly meet Premiere Pro CC and Media Encoder CC requirements. It should work. But during export, Premiere and Encoder are overclocking my CPU by 20%, pushing it to ~4.08 GHz. This baffles Adobe. (My Asus motherboard is not in overclock mode.)

The case has been escalated and I should receive a more expert analysis from Adobe in 60-72 hours. I'll keep this thread posted.

To see if this is your problem, open WIndows Task Manager (Control+Shift+Escape), click the "Performance" tab, then the CPU graph that appears just below the "Processes" tab. There, and below the larger CPU graph that appears to the right, you can see, during export, whether Adobe is ramping up your processor speed beyond its abilities and literally blowing its little silicon mind.

Here are a few additional things I've tried — in case anyone else has been tinkering. All of them proved inconsequential to H.264 export crashes which Adobe seems to agree are being caused by the brutal demands Premiere and Encoder are placing place on a perfectly fine CPU — which, of course, it should not do.

• RAM · In Premiere and Encoder, I limited other applications' memory to 3GB of my 16GB of RAM in both Premiere and Encoder. My GeForce 750 has 2GB of memory and 10.2GB of available RAM. But memory usage during export generally ran ~35%. Not the issue. .
  • RESOLUTION · The highest-res material in this project is 1920x1080 NTSC clips at 29.97 in .mp4 envelopes — DJI Mavic Pro drone video.
  • EXPORT PREFS · I've tried setting preferences to "Import Sequences Natively," and "Match Sequence Settings," but it didn't make a difference. After selecting H.264 in Format We tried both high and medium bitrates in Preset. Didn't help. Adobe didn't bother with any of the other settings, though I had. H.264 and Match Source - High bitrate should work. 
  • HANDBRAKE · I also crunched the 9-minute source clip through Handbrake, successfully reducing it from a 2.5 GB to 65 Mib .mp4. I tried to export this using H.264 with no edits or effects, but it too crashed both Premiere and Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear you're getting some help.

Be curious to find out what tech support comes back with on such an odd issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating! Trying to export a simple timeline in CC 2017, and it keeps crashing.
The same thing happened to me when I was on 2015, and now this.

When will Adobe resolve this once, and for all.

Adobe, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am so mad at Adobe that i think we should build a Dunk Tank and dunk the engineers every time it crashed at export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S O L V E D !

Well, my problem anyway. I tracked down the builder of my PC who advised me that he had indeed set its BIOS to maximize the output of its i7 hyperthreaded quad-core CPU. Seems Asus has made its motherboard rep on the ability to overclock CPUs for the benefit of gamers, creating numerous settings to enable their need for speed. Unfortunately, apparently frowns on such behavior.

My builder walked me through all of these BIOS settings which I corrected. Sure enough, Premiere Pro and Media Encoder work like champs with CPU use rarely rising above high-80 percentiles. No crashes. And, I've regained the ability to play 1080p video in full resolution from my timeline.

Bottom line: Check your bios, especially if you're pegging your CPU use near, at or over 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear!

I suppose that's why I was surprised to hear your CPU wasn't pegged like mine always is. I'm overclocked to 4Ghz from 3.8; but stable. Funny to find out how things you use everyday behave differently on other machines with small configuration changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since restoring my motherboard to the CPU's native settings, it is far from 100% when exporting. In fact, there is far wider variation in CPU usage, running between 75-88% with only occasional spikes in the low to mid 90s during complex passages. Premiere exports are not noticeably slower. Most importantly, they FINISH, keep the CPU much cooler, and can handle the resolution and depth of the original footage. Something to conspider if you're still having export issues, even if your CPU is only slightly overclocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MLinder,

Can you provide the settings and possibly the walk through for your bios. I'm using 2015, which has been running like a champ up until 3 days ago, during rendering and encoding projects that are longer than 2 minutes crash with out warning and  the system does a hard shut down. I have the Asus x99 motherboard and as far as I know has not been Over Clocked.  Can you also provide the settings of your

GPU?

i7-5820K @3.3GHK

32 gigs of Ram

Asus x99 MB

Asus GTX980 graphics card

Win 7  Prof. Service Pack 1

Thanks,

Vince

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue this week switching between Premiere Pro CC v9.2 & v10.4 on Mac os x 10.9.5

if you can switch your GPU acceleration from OpenCL to CUDA if u have a cudacore nvidia graphics card it will solve the issue

Update the video card driver make sure the Cuda appears in your system preferences

change GPU in project settings to cuda from openCL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably due to the computer hardware, and what your trying to render the video at. Seems obvious, but if you have poor hardware, your computer could crash and the graphics card could get overloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the hardware blame suggestion,

I'm seeing this on 3 computers.

• 32GB RAM, 16GB RAM, 16GB RAM (respectively)
  • GTX 1070 8GB, GTX 1060 8GB, AMD R9 380 4GB (respectively)
  • FX9370 (8 Core, 4.4Ghz), i7 Mobile, i7 desktop (respectively)
  • All 3 operate off of SSDs

Considering there is no apple product on the market that can meet any of those 3 for specifications, and each setup has a completely different specification with heavy use in digital design --- I'd argue we can put blaming the hardware to rest.  Adobe software is "thick" but hardly something requiring major specifications.

I'd like to hear someone from Adobe who can can give us hints or tips or figure out why their software is crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines