• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2018 Freeze/Long Delay on click "File" Menu

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encounter a strange problem.  Every time I start a new project in Premiere Pro 2018, import just 1 clip or JPEG file, put it on Source window.  After that, when I press "File" menu, everything freeze.  The App is not crashed, it just took a very long time to drop File menu.  If I select any Sub-menu in it, it choke again.  To verify this problem, I make a fresh install Windows 10 and fresh Premiere CC only installation.  The problem still occur.  I also try to use Cleaner Tool to uninstall everything and install it again.  It does not change anything.

To trace it, I install Windows Performance Recorder (WPR) and try to analyze it.  Following is the analytic result I get from WPR.  I did not include disk activity since I hardly see any disk IO in it.

Premiere Pro Analytic 1.PNG

It seemed it was choked in some MSG check.  However, the strange things are I have 2 computer with almost identical setup.

Computer 1: Xeon E3-1231 v3, GA-H97M-DH, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Computer 2: i5-6500, Asrock H170 Pro, 32GB 2133Mhz DDR4

Only Computer 1 experience this problem.  Computer 2 everything goes fine.  I also use Process Monitor to see what happen after I click "File Menu".  Strange thing is I saw a lot FASTIO_LOCK and Unlock operation.  However, this change to lockfile and unlockfile in computer 2 and my fresh installation.

I think there should be some serious design flaws in Premiere CC which pass your QC or unit test.  Could you please release some update?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

I solve it finally.  I change Preference -> Device Control from "DV/HDV Device Control" to "None" then everything went back to normal.

It looks like premiere is waiting for device response and put everything in halt.  It looks like a one time setting.  Once you change it, even new project will back to default "DV/HDV", the system still OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KCDN,

I recommend that you contact Adobe support directly for 1-1 assistance on this vexing issue: Contact Customer Care

Please let us know what happens or if you need additional assistance.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solve it finally.  I change Preference -> Device Control from "DV/HDV Device Control" to "None" then everything went back to normal.

It looks like premiere is waiting for device response and put everything in halt.  It looks like a one time setting.  Once you change it, even new project will back to default "DV/HDV", the system still OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! So annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you happen to find this fault 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO MUCH for saving my hair from being pulled out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! That was sooooo annoying! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thanks for this, it has been bugging me for months and this solved it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!! Finally a solution to this annoying problem!! Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome !!! Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

I'm on CC 2021 and having this issue.  It was driving me NUTS!  Thank you for solving. Worked for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this! Much needed, been driving me nuts for a couple weeks now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just worked for me in the 2022 version, thanks a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the issue I was having in the latest version here in 2022. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy crap, thank you! I kept trying to access the file menu to export my video, but it would ignore me and then suddnely show and disappear. So Adobe never though to put up a progress bar or indicator of any kind? Or maybe not enable this feature until/unless we wanted it? Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you edit htis if it's locked up though? I can't make that change at all. Couldn't find it in the registry either. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on file or edit menu button at the top, and let it sit there for
a couple minutes until the drop-down menu appears. Patience is the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don' tthink so, mine locks up so I have to close the program down, I waited and waited and to no avail. This also happens when accessing the Preferences options as well. Other than that the timeline and everything else works as it should. I suspect a windows update and Adobe not playing ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later and the same problem and solution are still a big help. No clue how you sorted that, but it did the trick for me as well. I didn't get a full crash but a notable lag for the program to respond. Ugh....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! I've been searching for a solution to this problem for months...this worked immediately!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIFESAVER, THANKS!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this. Just built a new editing rig and couldn't figure out why it was practically crashing EVERY time i clicked "File"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines