Highlighted

Premiere Pro CC 2018 playback stop working after a while

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

Actually I've started editing some videos on my Surface Book with the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2018, and I'm facing a very annoying bug.
Checking this forum I've seen other users are having the same or similar problem.

Description of the problem:
After a while using Premiere and randomly when editing a project and I click play on Program/Source monitor the play icon become the usual stop button and it stays like that. I can't revert it to play button.
Timeline doesn't play at all, it shows the last video frame. The software is working correctly, I can move the play head, select clips, but Source and Program monitor looks like frozen.

When this problem shows I can't close Premiere as usual. I've to force closing using Windows Task Manager.
The project is started from scratch.

Some further infos below:
PC: Surface Book, i5 6300U, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD520, GPU Nvidia Geforce, Toshiba 256GB SSD, 13,5" 3000x2000 display
Pr Pro version: version 12.0.0 (build 224)
Multimedia cache: on main SSD, with "if possible store cache files near the original footage" option enabled (so it creates the cache on the external SSD specified below);
Footage: Actually is on an external SSD, a Samsung T3 512GB USB3 portable drive;
Codec of footage: H264 in MOV Quicktime container (original Canon DSLR MP4 clips);

Effects on clips: none

Memory settings: 6.5GB dedicated to Adobe apps on a total of 8GB.
GPU: Cuda acceleration enabled, Nvidia Geforce Custom GPU from Nvidia for Microsoft Surface Book (Maxwell architecture). Actually is vital for me using the GPU acceleration, I can't work with just the software rendering performance.GPU Driver version: 23.21.13.8813, obtainable via Windows Update or Microsoft Surface website (I've installed from MS website). Updated the drivers Yesterday, I had the same issue even with the previous driver version;

Windows 10 x64: build 16299.98, latest updates installed (checked few minutes ago)
Other infos: Windows Defender AV disabled, no Others softwares running, just Premiere Pro

Thanks in advance who helps me troubleshoot this problem.

Added further info on Premiere CC settings.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro CC 2018 playback stop working after a while

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

Actually I've started editing some videos on my Surface Book with the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2018, and I'm facing a very annoying bug.
Checking this forum I've seen other users are having the same or similar problem.

Description of the problem:
After a while using Premiere and randomly when editing a project and I click play on Program/Source monitor the play icon become the usual stop button and it stays like that. I can't revert it to play button.
Timeline doesn't play at all, it shows the last video frame. The software is working correctly, I can move the play head, select clips, but Source and Program monitor looks like frozen.

When this problem shows I can't close Premiere as usual. I've to force closing using Windows Task Manager.
The project is started from scratch.

Some further infos below:
PC: Surface Book, i5 6300U, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD520, GPU Nvidia Geforce, Toshiba 256GB SSD, 13,5" 3000x2000 display
Pr Pro version: version 12.0.0 (build 224)
Multimedia cache: on main SSD, with "if possible store cache files near the original footage" option enabled (so it creates the cache on the external SSD specified below);
Footage: Actually is on an external SSD, a Samsung T3 512GB USB3 portable drive;
Codec of footage: H264 in MOV Quicktime container (original Canon DSLR MP4 clips);

Effects on clips: none

Memory settings: 6.5GB dedicated to Adobe apps on a total of 8GB.
GPU: Cuda acceleration enabled, Nvidia Geforce Custom GPU from Nvidia for Microsoft Surface Book (Maxwell architecture). Actually is vital for me using the GPU acceleration, I can't work with just the software rendering performance.GPU Driver version: 23.21.13.8813, obtainable via Windows Update or Microsoft Surface website (I've installed from MS website). Updated the drivers Yesterday, I had the same issue even with the previous driver version;

Windows 10 x64: build 16299.98, latest updates installed (checked few minutes ago)
Other infos: Windows Defender AV disabled, no Others softwares running, just Premiere Pro

Thanks in advance who helps me troubleshoot this problem.

Added further info on Premiere CC settings.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 09, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have identical trouble.

I've cleaned up all comfoming and audio pick files, I've redesigned and reinstalled pro premiere, I updated the graphics card drivers. It still does not work 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I'm sad that you are facing the same trouble.
Seems to be a bug of this version of Premiere. There are many users complaining.
Actually I'm trying to isolate the potential source of the problem.
In my case could be Lumetri or the autosave option in Premiere. The problem showed right after few seconds the project autosaved.
Also, I've deleted all the cache files in the dedicated Premiere Pro folder (with the path set in cache preferences menu).
Till now it's about 45 minutes the issue didn't show.
Finger crossed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for the message.

For me, the audio comfoming and pick files did not help me.

Can you describe and describe what cache files you have cleared? Where is it on the adobe premier menu?

I read a lot a lot now. This problem has many users. Several people have helped reset the Premiere settings. It is done so that when you start Premiere we hold the Alt button. We will need to reset the entire layout and keyboard shortcuts later. A lot of work... 😞

I will just try this way.

Thank you for your message.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing the cache in the appdata folder, didn't helped me too. The issue came back after some minutes.

Actually I've cleared Premiere settings and plugin cache, first using the ALT key and then ALT+SHIFT key for plugin cache cleaning, and I've worked with no issue for about 2 hours.
Yes, unfortunately you lose all the layou and kb shortuct.
One solution is importing the preset file for keyboard layout.
Maybe could be some settings corruption from upgrading the suite from CC 2017.
I'll try it today again, I've a lot of work to do, so I'll try it hard.

Yes, I'm reading the same issue on the web too for some users.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and others as well. I couldn't work at all - Premiere keeps crashing all the time to do just simple things like moving objetc in the timeline. I had a project that I saved like, 8 versions after constantly crashes. I also read that a lot of people are having similar problems and Adobe responds that is something wrong with the computer, plug-ins, video cards or the kind of files you are using etc - I noticed that PC and Mac user are both having problems with the new version.

Well, the only solution that I came across it was the simplest one - I reinstalled the 2017 version - it is running smoothly with no crashes.

I just cannot understand why Adobe keeps puting the blame on the users and their equipment, when it is clear as water that they messed up this time with a new version that is full of bugs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 2
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to video editing, been a graphic designer, my new job asked me to do this and I figured oh this shouldn't be that hard to learn I know my way around Adobe and I've help in video editing sessions before. NOPE, the newest Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 12.01 version is literally killing me and apparently many other users, glad I'm not the only one.  I've downloaded it to both a PC and Mac. Mine is doing the same thing, I was working on my first video and I was watching all the tutorials, following those steps, it was going great the program was working until it wasn't. On the PC the program kept crashing, probably did the project 15 times, tried to make simple edits, color change or audio changes and it would just shut down. Then the audio started going mute and/or cutting in and out. So then I tried it on my MacBook pro, it's only crashed once or twice so far. However, the audio and video playback in the Program monitor is still messed up on both the PC and Mac. The Audio cuts in and out now the video is getting pixelated and I can't edit the audio when it sounds terrible because I can't tell if what I'm doing is fixing anything. Strange thing is it exports fine thus far, but as far as editing the audio I'm kind of at a halt because I can't do anything.

I tried doing some things suggested in the different responses but I'm not having any success. Downloaded the previous 2018 version but it didn't fix anything, then I downloaded the 2017 version, but it won't let me open my project it in the 2017 version (I really don't want to start over again) and the 2018 version won't let me save as a lower version. Help, Please!

I'm doing the most basic video; a continuous shot, overlaying some photos and working with the audio from the native video file, it's not a complicated project but it's driving me insane, it should not take this long to do that. Also being my first video, I realize that next time I probably need to mic them, bc the video audio is picking up background talking/noise, I used some of the effects (essential sound dialogue and the Adaptive Noise Reduction) but you can still hear them, does anyone have some quick fixes other than reshooting as far as reducing the background voices/noise? Next time I will mic them or overlay the track on the video.

Update: it's now exporting glitchy files, the video picture is getting jumpy and pixelated and it wasn't before...help. however the audio is exporting okay..what the heck is going on ADOBE!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've cleared the settings to keep Alt running, and it's fine for now. I hope that the trouble will not come back because personalization of the program has taken me again for 4 hours.

I am embarrassed that Adobe does not really have technical support for people who pay for using software every month. The only support is the forum where we guess how to solve the problem from other users.

No wonder that more and more people are giving up on Adobe and buying Final Cut.

From thursday, my assemblies are not working and these are real losses for my company.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the problem came back again after clearing the preferences and plugin cache, today.
This is a very annoying bug and Adobe should fix this as soon as possible, it happens very often and ruins any workflow and mind sanity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. Restarting Premiere helps for few minutes, then randomly stops. Usually at 4:30. Music plays but I can't see videos and images beyond 4:30

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is losing their damn minds or something. 2018 Premiere (on my office iMac) has this audio issue where I have to Shift/CTRL/OPT and click open and do this SEVERAL TIMES for the sudio to play like normal. SOMETIMES is does this in the middle of an edit where things were working just fine then BOOM, no audio.

DAMMIT! Ever since the Cloud, my workflow has been disrupted almost constantly by these wierd bugs everywhere. The CS's never REALLY had major issues like this for me. Sure, maybe a color picker didn't work (CS5.5) but dang man.... I really don't want to go to FInal Cut X (for various reasons) but I see the Final Cut editors here at work just happily editing away...

Just sayin. Get your act together, Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2018 2