Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2019 can't import .mp4 file

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-01 om 17.07.21.png

As you can see from the image, the file doesn't import correctly. The first couple of seconds are as they should be but after that I get a green image. The audio still works. There's a red bar over the timeline as well. How can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Could you try two things:

1) Switch your Renderer to Software Only. Go to File menu > Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. If that fixes the issue, try updating or rolling back to another driver to see if that fixes the issues with GPU Renderer.

2) If that does not resolve the issue, try turning off hardware acceleration. Go to Premiere Pro Preferences > Media > uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration decoding (requires restart)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Hi Community,

You may be confused if you are arriving here via search. This post is a different issue than for "importing" a clip into the timeline (and either audio or video didn't follow). As a quick fix, click the V1 and A1 boxes at the far left of the Timeline, then drag once more.

Why is this happening? See this post: can't drag video to the timeline

A quick anecdote about the nomenclature of editing might be in order, as using proper terminology is very important in video editing and m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change extension to mpg and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After HOURS of trying everything I could find, this simple fix was IT! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one really works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i do that???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this solved it! I backed up my file (made a copy) just in case but Premiere imported it like a champ!

Weird, my other .MP4 files from a DJI device had no problem importing. Just this one specific file.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!!! The rename can do the fix - Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a magic , thanks thanks 💪🏻😍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing - For Windows Internet Explorer press the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, and then do CTRL-V to paste the screen print from the clipboard into a forum message

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

- when you analyze your file in MediaInfo and post a screen shot in the forum, do so in TREE view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try two things:

1) Switch your Renderer to Software Only. Go to File menu > Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. If that fixes the issue, try updating or rolling back to another driver to see if that fixes the issues with GPU Renderer.

2) If that does not resolve the issue, try turning off hardware acceleration. Go to Premiere Pro Preferences > Media > uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration decoding (requires restart)." Then Save, Quit Premiere Pro, delete your Media Cache folders, launch Premiere Pro and import your files again.

More information on Media Cache: FAQ: How to clean (delete or trash) media cache files?

If none of that helps, could you please send us some sample files for investigation?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trent beat me to the punch. What he said!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm running Adobe Premiere CC that I downloaded a couple of days ago. I'm trying to import MP4 files made by screen recording video from PowerPoint on an iPad Pro 12.9. The file is 30 MB. I can import the video but dragging over to the timeline gets me full audio but only the first image from the video, no feed. I can't select the Renderer Mercury option like Trent suggests because it's in grey. There's nothing I can click. I turned off hardware acceleration to no avail. Can anyone help? I'm just a chemistry teacher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similiar problem, where only audio worked.
My fix: On the video/audio timeline, to the left of the lock icons, there will be a highlighted V1 on the video portion and A1 on the audio portion. For some reason, if the V1/A1 are not on the actual V1/A1 lanes when importing mp4, it won't load. To reiterate, it only loads for me with the V1/A1 lanes selected.
I don't know if it will work for you since I'm on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI last 4 posts are a different issue then the original question.

Original question is a gpu issue

Last 4 post are a fix to an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as I coud not import a .mp4 movie either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bow to you! After trying numerous other ideas, highlighting both A1 and V1 before dragging the video into the timeline worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your helpful message.

On the video/audio timeline, to the left of the lock icons, there will be a highlighted V1 on the video portion and A1 on the audio portion. For some reason, if the V1/A1 are not on the actual V1/A1 lanes when importing mp4, it won't load.

Your source patching was not set up correctly. See this post: can't drag into timeline premiere cc for the proper technique. FYI: source patching has nothing to do with importing, it is an editing operation, an Overwrite edit.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gbcuesta,

Sorry.

I can import the video but dragging it over to the timeline gets me full audio but only the first image from the video, no feed.

You do not have an import problem; you have an editing problem. Your source patching is not set up correctly for success. See this post: can't drag into timeline premiere cc for the proper technique. You'll be better off once you get this info internalized, I think. It's very simple, so don't worry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here I tried every single solution I read over the Internet.

what is very strange is in my very first project composing I inserted an MP$ file .. but when the problem exists the same mp4 file that is already inserted It failed to be inserted agin. I could playback it and render it but I can't insert it again even if I rename it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a source patching issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so

here is what exactly I did

open premier > new project > drag and drop an mp4 file then again I drop another mp4 file but it refuses to import it but it's only dropping the soundtrack.

so I decided to make a new project to import the second mp4 file using the same workflow then copy-paste it into my main project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what i said you need to source patch if you want to drop it again in the timeline.

Post screenshot of timeline when unable to drag and drop.

unknow files.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix click on the permiere like your going to open it. Hold alt button. It will ask if its ok to reset press ok let it reset and boom your back up and going....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hani,

Thanks for writing in.

open premier > new project > drag and drop an mp4 file then again I drop another mp4 file but it refuses to import it but it's only dropping the soundtrack.

Yours is not an import problem, it is an editing problem. Your source patching is not set up correctly. See this post: can't drag into timeline premiere cc for the proper technique in setting you your V1 and A1 source patching properly for editing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines