Highlighted

Premiere Pro CC 2019 - CAPTION FRUSTRATION!

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm very frustrated.

I'm doing a large project.  Two 2-hour dvds subtitled.

I finished the subtitles and then I exported for dvd.

All my subtltes were supposed to be centered but they're off centered and hanging off the screen on export.

Subtitling has been around for decades!  How in the world can this be an issue!

It took me absolutely forever to caption two 2-hour dvds.  and, now the export is buggy?!?!?  what the ... oh man the hurt!

on top of all this - client decided to insert something in the beginning of my project .. for some stupid reason - i couldn't just simply select a group of captions and move them all at once - NO!  i had to move over 2000 captions piece by piece by piece! .. TWICE!! .. holy mother of joseph .. adobe, why?  why have you done this to us.

pay 1000 engineers right now to just focus on making captions a painless process, please .. this was so excruciating .. it was so awful .. an absolute nightmare .. 

I would hate for someone to go through what i've just gone through .. pure hell ..

to finish this project - i had to export as an mp4 .. burn in the captions .. make a new project - slap the mp4 in the timeline - export again for dvd .. 

I love you adobe - but you gotta fix this mess ..

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Stan Jones | Adobe Community Professional

Yes, captions/subtitles can be painful, but I think we might have been able to give you some workarounds/different workflows. If you are not working with the latest PR version (now 2019.0.2), there have been changes/fixes in most recent versions of PR.

If you did not need to burn all the subtitles in, Encore accepts subtitles as their own track. And formats the position on import, not based on export. Then just set the default to display the captions.

But there should not be a problem with position of burned in captions in the latest PR versions either.

Late client changes are a nightmare. If you have closed captions, you can move them. But I assume you have Open Captions, and they can't be moved in PR. But you can use a third party tool like SubtitleEdit and make the job easier.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro CC 2019 - CAPTION FRUSTRATION!

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm very frustrated.

I'm doing a large project.  Two 2-hour dvds subtitled.

I finished the subtitles and then I exported for dvd.

All my subtltes were supposed to be centered but they're off centered and hanging off the screen on export.

Subtitling has been around for decades!  How in the world can this be an issue!

It took me absolutely forever to caption two 2-hour dvds.  and, now the export is buggy?!?!?  what the ... oh man the hurt!

on top of all this - client decided to insert something in the beginning of my project .. for some stupid reason - i couldn't just simply select a group of captions and move them all at once - NO!  i had to move over 2000 captions piece by piece by piece! .. TWICE!! .. holy mother of joseph .. adobe, why?  why have you done this to us.

pay 1000 engineers right now to just focus on making captions a painless process, please .. this was so excruciating .. it was so awful .. an absolute nightmare .. 

I would hate for someone to go through what i've just gone through .. pure hell ..

to finish this project - i had to export as an mp4 .. burn in the captions .. make a new project - slap the mp4 in the timeline - export again for dvd .. 

I love you adobe - but you gotta fix this mess ..

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Stan Jones | Adobe Community Professional

Yes, captions/subtitles can be painful, but I think we might have been able to give you some workarounds/different workflows. If you are not working with the latest PR version (now 2019.0.2), there have been changes/fixes in most recent versions of PR.

If you did not need to burn all the subtitles in, Encore accepts subtitles as their own track. And formats the position on import, not based on export. Then just set the default to display the captions.

But there should not be a problem with position of burned in captions in the latest PR versions either.

Late client changes are a nightmare. If you have closed captions, you can move them. But I assume you have Open Captions, and they can't be moved in PR. But you can use a third party tool like SubtitleEdit and make the job easier.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 30, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. They're a complete nightmare. It takes ages to make simple changes and it's so buggy. If I try to move some captions or resize them, the whole thing just disappears. Not being able to move all the captions at once is just insane. And the design of the editing box is ridiculous - tiny and not at all intuitive (press an arrow and it goes to the next caption rather than the next line in the current caption!) I feel bad for asking agencies to fix small typos now - knowing how stupidly fiddly it is on the other side!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 1