Premiere Pro CC Crashes when changing to certain workspace layouts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to switch to "Assembly" workspace, the entire interface stops responding and I can't do anything until I force quit.

I'm using a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro CC Crashes when changing to certain workspace layouts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to switch to "Assembly" workspace, the entire interface stops responding and I can't do anything until I force quit.

I'm using a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 28, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into the Window/Workspaces menu and select "Reset to saved layout" ... and you may need a second or third 'application'.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 3
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why this worked, but it did. VERY, VERY Random. Helpful, thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this same problem as well. When I switch to the "Color" workspace, the application freezes and within 15 seconds a prompt comes up saying that the program has stopped working. "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

My computer:

Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20 GHz

16 GB RAM

64-bit Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB

adobe crash.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this very same issue and it just started happening on 4-17-2018 (yesterday as of the writing of this post).  I have never had PP crash in this manner.  Please advise.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2018 0
Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is in a post above.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil, I disagree as the post above did not resolve my crashing issue.  I have applied and re-applied the recommended solution above and when I try to switch to my "Color" workspace, PP still crashes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2018 1
Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then try going into the Layouts folder ... normally found in the Users/<username>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro 12.0 folder, maybe in a sub-folder. Mine has additionally Profile-Creative Cloud/Layouts.

Delete that folder, with PrPro closed.

Reboot.

Launch PrPro. That ​should​ fix this. If it doesn't, move on to the "nuclear option".

Download the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool, and use that to do the uninstall and cleanup of Premiere Pro 12. (Ignore the instruction to uninstall first, from many experiences with this "tool".) Also go to the above folder tree and make sure it's been wiped.

Reboot. From the CC desktop app, download/install a fresh copy of PrPro.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil,

I deleted everything inside the Layout folder and it helped. I could switch between workspaces without problems. But next time I opened the Premiere the problem was again. So everytime I delete the Layout folder it works, until I open Premiere next time.

Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2018 0
May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used the Adobe CC Cleaner tool? I think it might be time to try that.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

When you uninstall the Adobe apps, there are still preference & setup files all over the place. Re-installing with those setup files still there means that the apps will still use those preferences, layout, and other folder's info in setting up the app. I think it's time to try clearing out your installation.

1. Using this information, go into where your saved keyboard shortcut list is located if you have one, and copy that file to another folder. User Preferences Location/Setting/Use: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/preferences.html
  2. Go to this link, download the Adobe CC Cleaner tool ... https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html
  3. The instructions say to use this after uninstalling the 'offending' app. This is WRONG for most purposes. In using this in the past, at times it would say there wasn't anything to remove even though the folders were still there, so I had to re-install the app in order to wipe it out with the Cleaner. So ... use the Adobe CC Cleaner tool to both uninstall & wipe PrPro from you computer. Make sure all cache, media cache, cache database files are gone also.
  4. REBOOT.
  5. From the CC desktop app download/install a new copy of PrPro. Reboot.
  6. Launch PrPro and see if it is working better.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it as you wrote. Result: Old projects still crash after changing the workspace. The new project works well. So I imported old project to the new one. It worked for a while, but after several changing workspace, it crashed again.

So I created another new project and I deleted the layout folder with saved workspaces. It works for the moment. I will try to avoid to changing workspace in my old projects.

It is really annoying.

Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2018 0
Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that's .... a royal pain. Wish it were otherwise.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workspaces are great, but they should not cause so many problems. I want to change a workspace according to my needs, but every time I do that, the system crashes after a while, and I need to reset to saved Layout. Adobe should find a solution for that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2018 0
May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a particularly common problem, but a very annoying one nonetheless if ​you​ have the problem.

For recurring workspaces issues, the only answer I've found is to download/run the Adobe CC Cleaner tool, and ​unlike​ the formal instructions, use that to both uninstall and clean up the extraneous files left around by the CC apps. Reboot, download a fresh copy of the app, and see if it works. Might take a couple goes at it.

Neil

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Especially switching to the color workspace, adobe crashes with no error message.

I tried the steps outlined above including cleaning and reinstalling premiere

intel i7 7700k

32GB ram

geforce 1070ti

windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post on the UserVoice system they have listed on the Overview page of this forum. That has been fixed with the 12.1.2 release for the vast majority of users, and they're trying to nail down what is happening on the systems still showing this.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. I'm on

Creative Cloud Version 4.6.0.384

Premiere CC Version 12.12 build 69

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely post on the UserVoice system.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I double checked my work. Found I had two layouts folders - one for snyc settings and one for non-sync. Then once I had that, made a new project, unchecked load workspaces from project. Then they reset and that seemed to fix it.

So very carefully following the instructions here seemed to do it. FAQ: How to fix workspace related issues in Premiere Pro?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. It went back to the same behavior.

Now that I've sunk a few hours into this for no good reason, I also have a video demonstration. adobe premiere cc workspace bug - YouTube

I looked at uservoice...I have to make another account and find my issue.....I'm not paid enough for this. Can you pass this on? I'm over it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just another user. Your same account as this forum is all that you need.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang. All right. Sorry to assume Neil.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: As of CC 2019, I'm no longer having my problem with changing workspaces.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2019 1
Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this back, hopefully ... they've got that nailed down for you now!

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this as well.  I've completely uninstalled PPro and wiped prefs / rebooted / installed / rebooted / opened... created new layouts and boom... crashing again.

This is making PPro pretty much useless.

Workstation specs...

i75960x

64 GB memory

3x GTX 1080 (Nvidia driver 398.82)

Windows 10 Pro (64bit)(1709)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2018 0
Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you uninstall with the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool, or just from the CC app?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't use the CC Cleaner Tool.  Frankly I use Resolve 98% of the time but had to grade in PP for this one particular project I'm on.  I simply stayed in the custom layout (dual display grading setup) and things were stable enough.  I've no time to troubleshoot this I'm afraid.

This is the kind of buggy troubleshooting I've come to expect from Adobe.  Hoping that they start making things more stable / reliable instead of worrying about features.  Let's get the apps stable and then focus on features (my opinion).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2018 0