Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC crashes when I try to change the file name before export

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This issue recently started happening - Premiere Pro CC crashes when I try to change the file name before an export. Premiere runs smoothly at every part of the edit until I come to exporting a file either directly or through media encoder. I can get as far as changing all export settings but as soon as I click the filename to change it, I get an error message (attached).

Never had this before, not installed anything new on my system, running windows 10, decent specs etc.

All adobe software is up to date also.

Any ideas on this? This is my first posting so sorry if I have missed anything off that will help you guys!

Cheers in advance,

Joeerror message.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I just found a suggestion that worked. Changing the render settings to "Mercury Engine Playback Software Only" solves the problem. I'm not sure of the impact this will have, but I'm not making many big projects, so that's okay.

I also don't know the cause - maybe I don't have the correct graphics drivers or something, but for now, this fixes my issue

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joes,

Never seen this kind of issue.

Do you have enough room in the target location?

Did you try exporting to a different location?

Please test this in a new project and let me know if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kulpreet,

Thanks for replying to me. There is enough room in the target location and I have changed the location a couple of times to check this. I have also tested this in a new project and I am still having the same issues!

Anymore suggestions,

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please close all the Adobe applications.

Go to the following locations:

• C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Adobe
  • C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

In all the locations, rename the 'Adobe' folder to 'OldAdobe'

Launch Premiere, accept the License Agreement and see if it works.

Note: You will lose your customized workspaces and keyboard shortcuts.

You might need to kill some Adobe processes from the Task manager.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kulpreet,

I will try these and get back to you - thanks again for your help!

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have the exact same problem.

CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neils,

I have the exact same problem.

Sorry to hear that, did you try all of the above mentioned steps?

Please click on the "I have the same question" tab at the top.

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I just found a suggestion that worked. Changing the render settings to "Mercury Engine Playback Software Only" solves the problem. I'm not sure of the impact this will have, but I'm not making many big projects, so that's okay.

I also don't know the cause - maybe I don't have the correct graphics drivers or something, but for now, this fixes my issue

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/kulpreet+singh  wrote

Hey Neils,

I have the exact same problem.

Sorry to hear that, did you try all of the above mentioned steps?

Please click on the "I have the same question" tab at the top.

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

This thread should not have been marked as "answered."  Not even close.  That Adobe has a severe bug crashing Premiere upon simply initiating the prompt to enter a new filename/location, is not resolved by the suggestion to severely downgrade the Premiere application's functionality, to software-only rendering.  That has nothing to do with Adobe's bug (obviously).  And yes, I've cleared my preferences, which did nothing to solve this ongoing problem.

Just because you don't see it in frequently in these forums, doesn't mean the problem isn't a huge nuisance.  We have to force-close Premiere and start over, but sometimes it causes loss of the most recent version since auto-save.

This problem ​needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as reported.  Some days I am able to work on exports with no issues. Other days I have to change the filename and/or location inside of Media Encoder instead of in the export dialog box.  Please give us a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fix by any means, but a workaround, if you need to get stuff done and since they amazingly haven't fixed this yet as of 2020- 

I just let it save under whatever filename it wants and wherever. I pay attention to what name and where it saved it, then I just go to that folder and rename it and move the file where I want. Stupid, but it beats wasting hours dealing with this foolishness. Get it fixed already! The "Mercury Engine Playback Software Only" fix is bogus, it takes away all your hardware acceleration! Suddenly a 20 minute render is 7 hours! Ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This how I have been "solving" it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem as well. This problem seems to come and go. The last time I had the issue was a few months ago, and I cleared off some HD space and it went away. No such luck this time around. This problem is really persistent.

I'm on Windows 10 (latest version as of 1/20/18), i7 laptop, 16 GB RAM, GTX 880M (latest drivers). This happens on multiple different projects, multiple sequences, etc. No idea how to make this very frustrating problem go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started having the same issues. Very bizzare. Any update? Its a huge problem as i export multiple edits for clients to sign off on and obviously need to change file names etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my voice here, same problem. Doesn't always happen but still consistently about once a day. After a program crash and end task, it typically works fine until the next computer restart. After that it could go either way.

Followed the same troubleshooting steps, not working, and disabling Mercury for rendering is not an option for me.

CC 12.1.1, tons of hard drive space, on multiple drives, fully updated drivers etc. i7 4930k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080. Bug report submiiiiittedddd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Win10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue in version 12.1. It's very annoying because it happens about 9/10 times I try and export. I still can't figure out what is causing it to happen as it happens with CUDA and without.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RNKN  wrote

Having this issue in version 12.1. It's very annoying because it happens about 9/10 times I try and export. I still can't figure out what is causing it to happen as it happens with CUDA and without.

I'm shocked that after persistent and constant bug reports on this, Adobe has totally, totally ignored the issue for years.  It's a huge problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's really terrible. The way I actually ended up fixing this crap was just buying another damn computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, sometimes if you run Premiere as an administrator, that sometimes fixed the problem, but 30% of the time it didn't, and you wouldn't know until it crashed on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find this bug in the list.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1767 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Can someone provide a link?

This is a very old thread, and the workaround works for some and not others.

I only found one other thread (with little followup by the poster), and I'm not sure what descriptions may be used.

Premiere completely crashes when trying to change output name in export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Stan+Jones  wrote

I can't find this bug in the list.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1767 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Can someone provide a link?

This is a very old thread, and the workaround works for some and not others.

I only found one other thread (with little followup by the poster), and I'm not sure what descriptions may be used.

Premiere completely crashes when trying to change output name in export 

The proposed "workaround" has certainly never been either a solution, or even remotely related to the bug.

It's impossible that CUDA acceleration versus software-only via Mercury Playback Engine has anything to do with the dialog box/file system locking up after merely clicking the blue link to rename/relocate a destination file.

Instead of resisting the issue or naming it "old," Adobe needs to finally fix it.

The link you offered to "Hot ideas" or whatever, is not the official repository of bugs.  Staff are ignoring bugs anyway, identified from many sources.  That said, you overlooked this:  Crashing when renaming and selection destination of finishes project. – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link.

I agree that a workaround is not a fix and does not disprove a bug. And a workaround is no good for someone for whom it doesn't work.

There is a lot of evidence that staff are actively working on bugs, even though some do not get addressed. I sure hope there is a fix for this one in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JustinWoo  wrote

Yeah, it's really terrible. The way I actually ended up fixing this crap was just buying another damn computer.

Well, hold on - let's not mischaracterize the issue.  This is not solved by buying a new computer; it's a ​software​ bug that Adobe refuses to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines