Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC doesn't export H264 in .MOV anymore with the 12.1 update

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my premiere pro to 12.1

Now when I come to export h624 like all my clients want before the final ProRes, the only extension I can get is .mp4 and many clients' systems wouldn't let you upload .mp4 so you need to have the H264 video files in .MOV extension.

The only way I am making it work now is to export ProRes and converting to H264 with .mov in MPEG Stream.

Any idea how this could be fixed or is it permanent? No more support to H264 with .MOv in Premiere?

Thanks

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Apple no longer supports 32 bit QuickTime. It would be up to Adobe engineering to create its own 64 bit version of the codec (which is actually not that simple, as I understand it). Adobe already has a solution for H.264 delivery in the .mp4 wrapper, so it would be duplicating efforts to create a .mov version of the codec. 2 years has past since this post, and this really has not been a major issue, but people are still viewing it. That is why I responded.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody use mp4 now. Finish the job as usual and use an older version to convert to quicktime as you will lose 10-20minutes

but your quicktime clients will be happy and the mp4 clients will be happy too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's what I do now...I lose 10-20 mins at the tail end of every output.

Thanks.

So weird that they would drop it for the "film and video industry" when all the people requesting the .MOV H264 are those high end studios, and also to upload on systems like PIX you can only have H264 .mov with AAC audio.

I'll keep using MPEG Stream for that I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another alternative that will probably get you by... if you only need mov, export your mp4,

and then just change the extension to mov. You can't do the other way around, because

the mov format supports more codecs, than mp4 supports. But if you make an H.264 mp4,

and rename it to mov, should be good... and no extra time required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. It's been a while since a client asked for a MOV video so when I tried to export and didn't see the options I needed, I thought there was something wrong with my program. I guess I'll just have to do what you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, why is the "correct answer" for this to keep a duplicate, older copy of Media Encoder installed, just for something that is still very industry standard (I'm exporting something to be mixed for Discovery Channel's in-house sound mixers, and it is Sept 21, 2018.)  Some professional clients still need MOV, not MP4.  Given how many crazy codecs are still lying around in Media Encoder's options.... why is keeping MOV such a big deal for Adobe's engineers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaiv,

Will MP4 hold embedded Close Caption for air?

"For air" suggests broadcast TV, and that will mean true closed captions. So the question must be put to the engineers who are airing the video.

This Handbrake guide suggests that some kind of captions can be embedded in mp4, but they are talking about being able to turn off subtitles, as in subtitles vs closed captions on DVD. And that is not the same thing.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

My local TV station requires mov or mp4; however, it also requires closed captioning embeded (not burned). I have to use .scc files due to FCC guidelines, which means I can only embed .scc closed captions into quicktime. My problem is that the quicktime codecs in Premiere are only ProRes, uncompressed, or oldschool DV codecs, which means my file sizes are huge. For a one hour video with .scc, my files are 60+ gigabytes. If I didn't have to embed the .scc file, then I could export as .mp4 with a much smaller file size of 4 to 6 gigs. Do you know if there is another way to export or compress a .mov while keeping the .scc embeded? 

Thanks,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, I see reports that Handbrake is used for this. My quick tests have not worked.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried Handbrake. It will support .srt subtitle but not .scc closed captioning. My local tv will not accept .srt based closed captions because while good for internet, .srt does not qualify as FCC standards for TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export .mov as h264 I see what was the correct answer, who the *$&$^&$ market this as a correct asnwer? No wonder how many as me are swtching to Davinci Resolve, I'm tired of those adobe updates dropping functions, codec and many others things that we need, I'm so frustrated with adobe premiere and adobe products in general. a simple codec that was available before 12.1 update, Why Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple no longer supports 32 bit QuickTime. It would be up to Adobe engineering to create its own 64 bit version of the codec (which is actually not that simple, as I understand it). Adobe already has a solution for H.264 delivery in the .mp4 wrapper, so it would be duplicating efforts to create a .mov version of the codec. 2 years has past since this post, and this really has not been a major issue, but people are still viewing it. That is why I responded.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would someone mind updating me on the best way to export an h.264 encoded .MOV file?

Is exporting a mp4 file (h.264 encoded) from premiere and then converting to .MOV in handbrake the best way?

Thank you!

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines