• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC doesn't support MKV anymore?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, everybody!

I recently updated Premier Pro CC to the version 13.1.3 (Build 44) and... all of the sudden, it no longer supports .MKV files. I've worked with this type of file for quite a while now, but right after the update, it won't let me use it. Is this intentional or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Intentional: Adobe dropped support.

(Did not know they official supported the codec).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intentional: Adobe dropped support.

(Did not know they official supported the codec).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been supported for a while, but... not anymore, it seems. And you're absolutely right, it says so in Adobe's help section... a dumb move not checking that out first. Why did they do this though? I hope they give us a good reason...

Thank you kindly for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's why:

Adobe simply did not want to alienate users of legacy uncompressed or less-compressed or less-efficiently-compressed codecs such as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, both of which are still in wide use. At the same time, Adobe wanted to add support for all the modern commonly-used compressed camera codecs. Unfortunately, no company - Adobe included -  can have 'em both ways (at least without compromising stability). So, Adobe is dropping certain lossy-compressed codec support of formats that have been used primarily for transcodes (and not for originally shot camera files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365 I'm not sure, but what does mpeg have to do with anything? Am I missing something? How does support for MKV alienate anyone? Please explain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You missed RJL's main point: they can't code for unlimited number of codecs, and maintain performance and stability. So they are continuing support for some codecs that have still a large use in their pro base, and discontinuing lesser-used codecs. MKV is definitely a 'niche' use codec, no matter how good it may be.

As noted also, they never "officially" supported MKV ... it was a quasi-supported status for one release. Is this a royal pain for those of you working with MKV? Sure. No question.

However ... the fact remains it is a niche codec, and not one of the main user-base codecs. I looked it up once, and for certain things, it clearly is a very useful codec. It's never been used widely however. And there's nothing about it that can't be done or accomplished with another format/codec.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"they can't code for unlimited number of codecs, and maintain performance and stability."
Source? Where did Adobe say that they removed MKV support due to performance/compatibility problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV is not a CODEC.  It's a container format, like AVI, and MOV.  MKV can contain CODECS that Premiere already supports, and MKV is open source.  Not supporting is it lame IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround you can remux .mkv files in a mp4/mov container. It's much better way than transcoding:

Re: problem with mkv format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Basil for that reminder.

I'll say what was indicated above a bit differently:

When Adobe added mkv "support" (in the 2018.1.1 release), it was not announced and was "undocumented." This is a bit oversimplified, but my take is that simple mkv files worked, and more complex ones often did not. mkv is a container, and it could hold many streams.

I'm sure we'll see further debate on whether users want mkv supported and why Adobe removed the limited support that was added. Since it was undocumented, I appreciate the clear statement that it was removed on purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I was able to restore my subclips and original clips by pointing them to the remuxed version of the main clip. However, I can't seem to get my sequences back. When I tried to point the sequence to the remuxed clip, it didn't show me any of my edits and rather just showed it as one continuous video and audio clip. I tried to import the sequence from a previous autosave, but that only partially worked, and of course the audio and video were not shown as edited, but as offline. Tried to link them to the remuxed, and same issue as before.

Is there a way to get my sequences back from previous projects (and my current project) that used mkv files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its one long clip:

insert nest.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just rolled back to 13.1

any reasons against it?  i had to do the same with After effects. all my linked comps where fudged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the middle of a very large project and was not aware that this was happening.

Once this project is finished, will be talking with Department heads to move everyone to another video editing program. This has happened too many times.

Appreciate everyone here providing a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck going anywhere else. I would advise turning off auto-update though. The fact that it is on by default is the bane of my existence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need everyone to please upvote this so that we can get this codec back
Restore MKV Format Support – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a silly decision. MKV wasn't harming anyone?

This is ridiculous, was so useful for using clips from random sources in videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worst decision ever, cost me so much time to fix in the middle of an important release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration, however, NEVER update in the middle of an important project and ALWAYS keep the previous version of Premiere on your system.   I'm on a mac and it's very simple to create a clone of your startup drive before you do any serious update in OS or crucial app so you can restore your system to a working state if things go south.   Not sure how to accomplish this on windows, but I'm sure there's a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently working on a project where the team is using the later version of Premiere, tried to import smoe MKV files of a video shoortage... guess what... wasted a lot of precious time to sort this out. Already rewuested the program manager that the current work could be done on any other Video editing software and the team doesnt use Shareed Projects Workflows. It would save him mony on the longer run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I found out that VLC is able to help me out of here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't get it adobe. Just let creators work with what they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines