Highlighted

Premiere Pro CC extremely slow on Mac

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!! For the past few years my Premiere Pro has been incredibly slow. Well, it's been slow, but recently within the last six months has become so slow it's unuseable. I've tried to look up a fix online, but everyone just talks about the playback. While the playback isn't ideal for me it's liveable. 

What's frustrating to me is the lag of my mouse, moving things on the timeline, adjusting the footage. I cant just use the mouse to scroll because it takes about 30 seconds to even move the footage so that's frustrating because when trying to get placement right I have to constantly guess on the number and if I don't get it right it's another 30 or more seconds do undo. Same with any effect. If it was just waiting for an effect to load or playback that would be liveable, but when it comes to having to adjust certain things it's absolutely impossible. It's become so slow it's almost unuseable. Yes, certain effects are heavier so they make it worse, but even with the lightest effects I can possibly use it still has issues. Even trying to adjust the workspace takes so long to actually register and that's not the footage. 

I'm not going to list the footage I'm using just because it happens with every project and the footage is always different, yet the outcome of it being immensely slow is the same. If it really is needed I can search around and find out what I've used and give you the list of variety, but I dont think it's relevant. 

I just would really like to know why it's doing thing. I think it's my computer in all honesty, but I'm not 100% sure. 

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have 124.53 GB Available (Out of 500 GB) though I don't think space is an issue because I got fed up one day and got rid of everything except Adobe Apps and the footage I needed and it still didn’t work. 

My Memory Pressure is still in the green. Only using 6.32 GB out of 16 GB

Yes, I've cleared the cache files many many times. Yes, I'm using GPU Acceleration. 

It also might have to do with my macOS. I have Ableton on my computer but I don't have access to update it. I get notified that if I update my macOS that Ableton won't work anymore. IF the issue is due to me not updating my OS I will gladly update, as I use PP more than Ableton. However, I've read a lot of people say that updating their OS made Premiere Pro run even slower and if it does that to mine it will become completely unuseable. I currently have macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2

My PP is also completely up to date as well. 

If you need to know anymore information about the situation please just let me know and I will be happy to supply it to you. I just really want to get down to the reason as to why it's not working. And while I believe it's my computer being to old to handle the program, or because I haven't upgraded my OS, I would love to know for sure. 

Thank you so much!! 

TOPICS
Bug, Community Information, General Feedback, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro CC extremely slow on Mac

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!! For the past few years my Premiere Pro has been incredibly slow. Well, it's been slow, but recently within the last six months has become so slow it's unuseable. I've tried to look up a fix online, but everyone just talks about the playback. While the playback isn't ideal for me it's liveable. 

What's frustrating to me is the lag of my mouse, moving things on the timeline, adjusting the footage. I cant just use the mouse to scroll because it takes about 30 seconds to even move the footage so that's frustrating because when trying to get placement right I have to constantly guess on the number and if I don't get it right it's another 30 or more seconds do undo. Same with any effect. If it was just waiting for an effect to load or playback that would be liveable, but when it comes to having to adjust certain things it's absolutely impossible. It's become so slow it's almost unuseable. Yes, certain effects are heavier so they make it worse, but even with the lightest effects I can possibly use it still has issues. Even trying to adjust the workspace takes so long to actually register and that's not the footage. 

I'm not going to list the footage I'm using just because it happens with every project and the footage is always different, yet the outcome of it being immensely slow is the same. If it really is needed I can search around and find out what I've used and give you the list of variety, but I dont think it's relevant. 

I just would really like to know why it's doing thing. I think it's my computer in all honesty, but I'm not 100% sure. 

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have 124.53 GB Available (Out of 500 GB) though I don't think space is an issue because I got fed up one day and got rid of everything except Adobe Apps and the footage I needed and it still didn’t work. 

My Memory Pressure is still in the green. Only using 6.32 GB out of 16 GB

Yes, I've cleared the cache files many many times. Yes, I'm using GPU Acceleration. 

It also might have to do with my macOS. I have Ableton on my computer but I don't have access to update it. I get notified that if I update my macOS that Ableton won't work anymore. IF the issue is due to me not updating my OS I will gladly update, as I use PP more than Ableton. However, I've read a lot of people say that updating their OS made Premiere Pro run even slower and if it does that to mine it will become completely unuseable. I currently have macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2

My PP is also completely up to date as well. 

If you need to know anymore information about the situation please just let me know and I will be happy to supply it to you. I just really want to get down to the reason as to why it's not working. And while I believe it's my computer being to old to handle the program, or because I haven't upgraded my OS, I would love to know for sure. 

Thank you so much!! 

TOPICS
Bug, Community Information, General Feedback, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 22, 2020 0

Have something to add?