• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC Flickers after render--- client not happy

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have been having a very annoying issue with Premiere pro CC 2014 (with the most recent update released in November, it also happened before the update). 

Certain portions of my video will flicker, but it only shows up after the render.  I can watch the video just fine in a sequence and it does not flicker.

I try re-rendering the project and the flicker will appear in a different portion of the video instead.  It is so random and I feel I have no control or ability to fix it

I have provided a video link to show the problem I am having.  This video is from different projects filmed in different lighting and scenarios, and different cameras. All of them have it.  The only thing they all have in common is that i used the RGB curves to bring up the blacks and adjust highlights.

Adobe Flicker on Vimeo

The footage was shot on the Panasonic GH3 and the Panasonic HMC150.  All filmed in 24ps.  I also am outputting the video in 24fps.  The examples in the video I have shown have all been saved in different formats such as h.264 for web, h.264 Blu-ray, and mpeg2-Bluray. It seems that the format does not make a difference it flickers either way.

It is also not lighting as it even happens outside in the sunlight, and if it were light flickering I would experience the issue on my camera while filming or at least see it during editing.  But it only appears after I render. 

I render using the graphics card Cuda engine 

Here are my computer specs

Windows 8

Intel I7 processor

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 ti

8 GB ram

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

I have a similar issue with video flickering but it caused by applying an effect on an ajustment layer. If I apply the effect directly to each piece of video there is no flickering.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost a year since this post and still not fixed.  Will someone at adobe PLEASE HELP! At my wits end here, been browsing forums and web for MONTHS and still can't seem to find a fix.  I tried the suggestions listed here and none worked for me.  I can't believe a problem this large has been ignored by Adobe, what a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NateP,

Almost a year since this post and still not fixed.

I'm not experiencing this issue. Have you filed a bug yet? If not, please do so. I find that nesting a clip and then adding an adjustment layer to the nest can sometimes help work around the issue. This changes the order of render operations that can cause edge flicker. Can you try that?

Also, I would avoid any of the effects in the "Adjust" category. These tend to cause this issue.

I can't believe a problem this large has been ignored by Adobe, what a joke.

This is the troubleshooting forum. If you want to offer feedback to the product team, please file it in that bug report.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a possible approach ... and understand, I've never had the flickering, nor is it a common problem for most users ... you might need to re-think your color-modification/correction workflow. I think Kevin's comments about the "adjust" section being a possible cause of the problem is likely to be a large part of it. I would suggest using the color workspace Lumetri panel as several colorists have studied it, testing it with ramps and such, and decided the color science is far "cleaner" and more reliable there than with the "legacy" color correction tools. At least, use that as a base, adding other tools only for specific needs you can't easily do (or at all) within the Lumetri panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is worth a try - it worked for me!  I had the same problem with mysterious flickering on output from Premiere Pro for certain effects such as ultra key, color correction, etc.   It looked perfect in PP while I was in the program itself just previewing it but always generated flickering when I rendered it.  The work-flow is that you do all your work in Premiere like normal (including dynamic links to AE if needed)  but do your rendering via AE.  Once you are done with your work in PP, then save the file and close PP.  Open AE creating a new blank, empty file, Import the PP file/sequence into AE, create a composition out of this sequence and render it in AE (you can hand it off to Media Encoder from AE).

OK, here are the steps:

1. Create your sequence in PP, preview it to make sure it is correct, but don't render it via PP

2. Close Premiere Pro

3. Open After Effects, creating a new blank, empty file.   Import the Premiere Pro file.  From the pop-up window select only the sequence that you want to render.  In AE, drag this sequence down to create a simple composition.

4. Render this composition from AE.  You can hand it off to Adobe Media Encoder.

That's it!  Hope it works for you.  It definitely worked for me and solved this maddening problem with PP not being able to render effects, ultra key, and other special effects correctly without flickering.  Just do all your work in PP (including dynamic links to AE), save the PP file, Import that file/sequence in AE and render this composition from AE.  I also didn't notice any longer render time via AE verses via PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same flickering problem after trying to render effects in Premiere, be it applied on adjustment layers or directly on clips. I'm using Premiere CC2015, latest update.

I noticed that the flickering goes away after deselecting Mercury Playback Engine GPU acceleration (OpenCL)" and selecting "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only", in the Project Settings. However, rendering becomes slower and some keyframes commanding Mask Opacity simply don't work. I suspect other things might work properly too... Any better idea to eliminate this problem?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My flicker problem is seen when a subtitle layer is added.

No problem when it's played in the timeline, so I exported twice - once with subs, another without. The one with subs flickers, whereas the other doesn't. I'm using Mac OSX 10.11.4, and Premiere Pro CC2015.3. Has anyone experienced this, and/or know how to fix this?

Please let me know if you do!! Thank you so much in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem.

I exported the full video a couple of times with no problem (for different versions)

Now that I added a title (legacy title), the whole video flickers. Even after I deleted the title, the video always flickers now.

I have tried using all 3 different renderers (open CL, Metal and software) all of which still had flickering.

I restarted the program

I am working on a Mac OS Sierra, Version 10.12.6

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dump your cache & media cache database and preview files ... find them in the Project settings panel, close PrPro, then manually delete everything in them.

Reboot, restart PrPro, and see if that helps.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas,

the flicker is still there.

Do you think it has to do with using the Legacy Title tool? Adding that title is when it started.

I have a lot of work to do and don't have time to fuss with the new version. I tried but it is not useful to me at all.

Going forward I will just create the titles in After Effects.

But, the problem is that the flickering won't go away. Even the green screen is flickering which didn't happen until I added the title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just ... bizarre. So sympathetic, that's just totally unusable.

At this point, you might try posting about this on the Hardware forum, see if someone there has an idea. Past trying to manually update or perhaps even roll back a video driver, and of course, using the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool to obliterate PrPro & reload, I'm ... out of ideas.

Neil

https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I greatly appreciate the help!

I'll keep trying.

It's weird, I took the ultra key off the green screen and the flickering went away, put it back on and the flickering is back. Do you have any idea why the green screen was working fine before and now no? Maybe a glitch with the title tool on top of a green screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe? Huh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have this issue when I sued cs6. However now that I use the latest version of Premiere Pro cc I'm having this very same issue. It's bugging me out that an earlier version didn't give me this much trouble. Is there a fix for this issue??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree.  I've been having the same problems with latest version.  Titles often flicker on render.  I've noticed when I have a legacy title and a new method title it happens, or if I cut n paste the text from a word doc into the title tool, it sometimes flickers.  It's hard to diagnose, but it's often enough to really be a pain, and it's time-consuming in a professional setting.  I'm unfortunately tempted to jump off the platform at this point, if it's not resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost like something corrupts with the title tool.  One time I just recreated the same exact title from scratch, and threw the other one out, and it stopped jittering on render.  Other times it was something else.  Bizarre and inconsistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I fill out an issue report? The flickering is an issue with transitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem & Fix (for me)

2020 and this still pops up now and then. I'm working with the same footage and system I always do and, today, on export I had the flicker issue.

I had two instances of Lumetri applied directly to two clips and it was affecting both with flicker on render.  Within the problem Lumetri, I had applied changes in the Basic Correction section. The fix, for me, was to reset that instance of Lumetri and make changes in the Curves section of Lumetri instead of Basic Corrections. Same overall effect but the flicker went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting data ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED 2021.

After 5 years this is still happened. i had a adjustment layer with color correction and suppose to this will be the problem. So i download new PP 2020. I saved my project in PP2019, open it with PP2020, and without rendering, o put on QUEUE to export with Adobe Media Encoder. Problem Solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The year is 2021, my video exports' luminance flickers even without having adjustment layers. I export a video in After Effects just fine, but when I use Premiere export or Media Encoder the colors go crazy. I can't work with AE files, because they come out huge... I've tried several methods to no avail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to give us more specifics about your system, especially the GPU and drivers used, the media, the effects used and how applied, and how you're exporting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Neil, thank you! In the process of collecting info for you, I've actually figured out what is happening. Turns out my Media Player is at fault. My colleague exported the video just fine and I thought my system was at fault and it's time for an upgrade. But when I opened the latest export (which played just fine on a platform) locally on my computer, it was flickering again. Don't know what is the reason for my Media Player Classic to display heavy .avi and .mov files just fine, but when it comes to .mp4 that was rendered through Media Encoder or Premiere Pro it just goes crazy with the colours. 

Zoritsa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So "Render at maximum depth" seemed to be the culprit for me....  I had seen that the there is an flicker option if you right click the selected  images on the timeline and choose "field options" and "Flicker Removal"... But in an extra step in the same swing I shut off render at max depth and render and use max render quality. It dissapeared. So now I am adding them back amongst other tests.... It takes a while but yeah. That should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Mathew, I have the same issue. Its surprising to me that after so many years adobe hasn´t been able to handle this problem. I am editing 4k footage on premiere (about 1 hour long videos) and the footage looks perfect in the premiere timeline. The problem comes when I export the video, there are some parts that start to flicker. It is very frustrating cause I tried to fix the flickering and then export again but now other parts of the video are freezing and flickering. If you have a solution for this please let me know, I am sure its not my computer since I have the Macbook Pro M3 Max which is supposed to handle this a lot more.  Please let me know if you found solutions for this problem. I´ve tried plenty of things suggested in your responses but none seem to work. I guess the only thing I haven´t tried is removing the adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines