• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC Project Manager - Not copying all the files!

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last few months, I've been asked to work from home from time to time due to the pandemic.

I have used the Project Manager to copy an edit in progress from our network storage server to my PC's internal hard drive.  It's a really great tool that saves alot of time...sometimes.

A rather large project I am doing color work on - the project manager finished succesfully with no errors.  I got home with my project, fired up PP and opened the project.

To my suprise there was footage in the wrong places on the timeline and some files didn't even copy over.

I had the 'danger bars' on the timeline as well as missing audio.  About 50GB of files didn't make it.

Long story short, we shoot with multiple cameras on multiple days.  Some cameras produce random-like filenames, others use sequential filenames like 'C0001.MXF, C0002.MXF' etc..

But when Premiere copies the files over to your designated save location, it doesn't bother to put them in subfolders.  It places all the footage in the root of your save location.

Guess what happens when you have multiple 'C0001.MXF' filenames.....yup, you only get one.

And the project finds it upon opening up, and places it on the 1st instance on your timeline.

Camera guys like to format the cards on camera, and that reverts the sequence numbers back to C0001.

So you end up with many files with the same filename.

So using this tool for some projects is not safe, you think you might have a backup, or a copy to use to edit... nope.   You only got the 1st file of that duplicate filename.

I would think this could be easily solved with some sort of folder management, if the original file was in a folder named 'Day 1 - Camera A', then why wouldn't it be like that in the copied location?

So now I can't trust the tool to collect only the files I need, I have to copy the whole 500GB of files - even if I only need 100GB of them for the edit.

Can this please be addressed?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi MikeM,
Sorry for the frustration. Some formats tend to not work as well with Project Manager, but these sound like Canon files or similar. Sounds serious. Could you report this issue to the development team so that they can can be notified? You can also upvote this existing bug: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36968569-project-manager-no...

Sorry for the issue. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines