Highlighted

Premiere Pro CC20 media loading issues and artifacting on new MacBook Pro with Catalina

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community, this is the first time I've done this, after many years running Apple and Adobe products across multiple post production environments, which I've configured and supported myself. I consider myself a reasonably advanced user, but the latest upgrade has really got me stumped.

Here is the new machine I'm running, connected to an LG 5K Ultrafine monitor and multiple USB-C drives, plus a Promise Pegasus RAID -

Marshlandia_0-1595907097125.png

I figure it should be a beast, but it's given me nothing but headaches.
Premiere Pro version is 14.3.1. I have de-selected auto-update as I'm a little nervous what might happen...

The issues started as soon as I upgraded the hardware (which came loaded with Catalina).

First off, when opening projects I'd had running flawlessly on my old system, I encountered massive amounts of artifacting and glitching in erstwhile pristine footage, which is a mix of 4K h264 and ProRes 422 HQ material. 

That is when I can open the projects, of course - that sometimes takes up to ten attempts, including multiple full power-off shutdowns in between.

In re-opening my old showreel project (which I re-saved as CC20, of course), I had so many issues with media loading that I had to go back to a full re-build of the project, re-linking and checking every one of thousands of clips for corruption, to check that wasn't an issue. It does work, but only after the many attempts to open/load the project outlined above.

So I can cut, albeit after enduring some pain, as long as I can handle my footage artefacting like crazy in preview (rendered or unrendered - doesn't matter). But now that I'm looking to master out, I can't get a clean export. I've read there is an issue with h264 material (which I find hard to comprehend, given how prevalent it's been these past few years), and that I may have to transcode everything to ProRes. Is that right...? If so, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the upgrade, which was to be able to work with 4K video in realtime, rather than proxies because they chew too much time to encode. Can anyone offer some assistance please?

I've uploaded a sample shot to show what I'm talking about, which was shot at 4096x2160/50fps/h264/.mov on a Panasonic GH5S. Can't work out if it's 8-bit or 10-bit. It's from a project from a year or so ago, and has previosuly been mastered out without issue on my old system. NOTE: the artifacting happens on footage also shot on full-frame cameras, and at various frame rates.

Much appreciated, Marshy (Sydney, Australia).

Further to the above, here is a frame from a rendered clip in the same project I've mentiond, which was shot in native ProRes on a Lumix S1H. Artifacts appear when Lumetri Color grade is applied, it seems...

Marshlandia_0-1595917690387.png

...but when I export it as a JPEG, they are gone:

Ralphy_Artifacts.jpg

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro CC20 media loading issues and artifacting on new MacBook Pro with Catalina

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community, this is the first time I've done this, after many years running Apple and Adobe products across multiple post production environments, which I've configured and supported myself. I consider myself a reasonably advanced user, but the latest upgrade has really got me stumped.

Here is the new machine I'm running, connected to an LG 5K Ultrafine monitor and multiple USB-C drives, plus a Promise Pegasus RAID -

Marshlandia_0-1595907097125.png

I figure it should be a beast, but it's given me nothing but headaches.
Premiere Pro version is 14.3.1. I have de-selected auto-update as I'm a little nervous what might happen...

The issues started as soon as I upgraded the hardware (which came loaded with Catalina).

First off, when opening projects I'd had running flawlessly on my old system, I encountered massive amounts of artifacting and glitching in erstwhile pristine footage, which is a mix of 4K h264 and ProRes 422 HQ material. 

That is when I can open the projects, of course - that sometimes takes up to ten attempts, including multiple full power-off shutdowns in between.

In re-opening my old showreel project (which I re-saved as CC20, of course), I had so many issues with media loading that I had to go back to a full re-build of the project, re-linking and checking every one of thousands of clips for corruption, to check that wasn't an issue. It does work, but only after the many attempts to open/load the project outlined above.

So I can cut, albeit after enduring some pain, as long as I can handle my footage artefacting like crazy in preview (rendered or unrendered - doesn't matter). But now that I'm looking to master out, I can't get a clean export. I've read there is an issue with h264 material (which I find hard to comprehend, given how prevalent it's been these past few years), and that I may have to transcode everything to ProRes. Is that right...? If so, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the upgrade, which was to be able to work with 4K video in realtime, rather than proxies because they chew too much time to encode. Can anyone offer some assistance please?

I've uploaded a sample shot to show what I'm talking about, which was shot at 4096x2160/50fps/h264/.mov on a Panasonic GH5S. Can't work out if it's 8-bit or 10-bit. It's from a project from a year or so ago, and has previosuly been mastered out without issue on my old system. NOTE: the artifacting happens on footage also shot on full-frame cameras, and at various frame rates.

Much appreciated, Marshy (Sydney, Australia).

Further to the above, here is a frame from a rendered clip in the same project I've mentiond, which was shot in native ProRes on a Lumix S1H. Artifacts appear when Lumetri Color grade is applied, it seems...

Marshlandia_0-1595917690387.png

...but when I export it as a JPEG, they are gone:

Ralphy_Artifacts.jpg

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 27, 2020 0

Have something to add?