• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC2015 Mask Tracking not working.

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I've got a little problem, i'm in the color grading part of my project and used a lot of effects with masks and even tracked some details.

The thing is, it doesn't work anymore, like at all. When I create a mask and press the little "track selected mask forward" button (or any other button of this line), nothing happens...

I'm working with 2K and 4K raw mxf footage from the fs7 and Sony's recorder.

I'm on Windows 8.1, with a 2600K @ 4ghz, 12Gb DDR3 and a GTX980TI

CC 2015 is at 9.0.0 (247) build

Am i the only one with this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

I was having this problem and discovered that I had sped the clip up to 125%

Once I put it back to 100%, it tracked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌there is a new update Premiere 2015.0.1 you might want to try. Check out the fixes before install if you wish and sorry I am unable to provide link to fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, I just updated and the problem is still there...

EDIT: I created a new sequence inside the project, with the exact same setting. When I drag & drop the clip that won't track (or any clip since none will be tracked) from the old sequence to the new one and apply an effect with a mask, it will track,  so this is sequence related.

But the settings and clips are exactly the same...

EDIT 2: deleting a few clips will restore the tracking function, but it seems totally random (not related to a buggy clip), some still won't track unless i delete the whole sequence...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌update did not address mask tracking as I read

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2015/07/premiere-9-0-1.html

but did address mask crash

i could mask track with PP CC 2015.0 although it was very slow with cinema dng.

I wonder if deleting all your cache would help as new sequence seems to get you there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox - trackbug.prproj

Here is a link to the project, the bug is still there even if all the medias are offline (tested it on a clean sequence the tracking is supposed to work even if the media is offline), so you won't need anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌wow! That's a good one for me, work offline, work blind, work without knowing what I am tracking.

Sure, I would take it on and then I add to the 'won't need anything else'

- I also need my workstation, then I need my laptop to access drop box and align with an Internet access terminal, then i need time. So, what can I say further?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dummergold, I didn't get your last message, it doesn't matter what you're tracking, but I have to admit i didn't say where the problem was in the sequence so I made this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt1algczd7k1og3/trackbug2.prproj?dl=0

I managed to narrow down the problem, or simplify it since it still doesn't make any sense:

On the link above, there's a buggy project i stripped down of 99% of the clips, with only 1 dpx sequence (Media offline but still tracking should work and show the progress bar) on top of a black video left. On my computer, tracking still doesn't work.

The dpx sequence has a rgb curve with a mask already on, you should just have to press the little tracking buttons to make it work.

The tracking isn't working at the moment BUT, it will work if (the following are exclusive) :

-I delete the black video

-I uncheck 'reverse speed' on the clip (but keep the black video underneath)

-I reduce the lenght of the black video (but still have reverse speed checked)

Maybe you can reproduce the bug at home, if that make sense to you tell me because it doesn't to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how that's possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J. Simon wrote:

I don't see how that's possible.

It's pretty simple, create a sequence, and put the video in the sequence,then make this video offline.

Now you can still put effects on this video even if it's showing the red "media offline" sign.

Now if you decide to use a mask on one of the effects and track what's in the mask, you can, and you'll see the progress bar, even if it's not seeing any movement since the sign isn't moving, this proves that the Mask tracker is working.

Whats happening in my project (the second link), is that the tracker is not working when it should. You can test it by yourself, it doesn't matter if the clip is offline and the tracker only see the red sign letters, it should show the progress bar even if nothing is moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I retrieved my laptop, acquired Wi-Fi, downloaded your dropbox file and in a few hours will move it over to my desktop and see what I can do. I will re-read post at that time to 'make the sense'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I dropped the ball and only downloaded the one dropbox Track Bug project

Opens as

\\?\and path on my computer to Premiere Project 'Track Bug'

Video filter missing : AE. Universe_Glow_Diffuse_Glow

Video filter missing : PR.Neat_Video

And I OK

Adobe Title designer: Missing Font <Doulous SIL> replaced with <CourierNewPSMT>

X 14 warnings of missing font and substitute

Opens in Editing Workspace

Playhead at 00;00;24:17

trying to retrieve Track Bug 2 but failed third attempt with this relic of a machine, If you can guide me with Track Bug 1, that would be good, or it will take me another 24 hours to acquire Track Bug 2 into editing machine if all goes well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dummergold, thanks a lot for you help, I updated the project so there's litteraly nothing except the black video and the dpx sequence, even in the project browser, so no missing stuff and plugins except the dpx sequence.

Dropbox - trackbug2.prproj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Track Bug 1

I go to 00:02:08:15 and choose E-Perfecto focus.mfx

I see a mask

I start the stop watch to record keyframes

I try track select mask forward and nothing

I try track select mask backward and nothing

I see Luma waveform

Secondary color correction

Filter offline (Diffuse Glow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import cinema dng through the media browser and place directly over top said .mfx

I copy the Luma Curve mask from the .mfx and paste on cinema dng above

I don't even start the stop watch, I just click mask track forward (on the cinema dng) and slowly the Tracking window progress is tracking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i think I have it solved for you.

I opened the one MXF in the source monitor and removed the marker

after that, Tracking is available again

cool! hope that helps.

edit: I was only able to work with the original 'Track Bug' sequence and have not accessed the key MXF you have selected, so I only worked with the first one I found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to reproduce the bug within the project on a different MFX without marker

tracking will not function

then after trying a few things, not mentioning to limit confusion, after trying a few things, tracking starts working

tried a few more MFX and developed a 'jump start' to get tracking working, not mentioning to reduce confusion

I keep reverting project

I keep closing out and re-opening

I keep holding down shift and alt (Windows) to clear Premiere Preferences

i keep deleting cache (Premiere cache, Adobe common cache, GPU cache)

I keep trying to start with a 'fresh' project

then I hit another MFX that I am unable to 'jump start' Tracking

clip at 00:03:02:21

video track 3

cannot get Tracking to work

yes, there were no masks, but I added one on Opacity, added two actually

cannot get Tracking to work

turned off the visibility (eyeball) on the top 6 video tracks - no help

turned off the visibility on the bottom two video tracks - Tracking started working

bottom two tracks are your 'black video' and track 2 is nothing I can identify with in off-line mode, just filler identified by grey color, telling me 'ripple delete'

anyway, for me to say 'removing marker' is fix, is wrong as I am unable to replicate on many other MFX without a markers

for me to say it is 'black video' - not sure, did not do anything along those lines with my initial MFX sample, as in left those two tracks below 'as is'

I am still thinking about your Track bug

will travel with my laptop today and hope to be able to stand still at a Wi-Fi long enough to wait for machine to start and acquire your 'Track Bug 2'  sequence sample

Additional content added later:

MFX at 00:03:33:02 video track V3 - cannot get mask track to work on new mask for RGB Curve (very short as sample, clip yes)

- turned off visibity of video track V4 to V10

- tried an 'no go'

- turned off visibility of V2 which is DPX and V1 which is black video

- Tracking started working

can only replicate by turning off visibility of all video tracks except masked video track on V3 - yes, even the blank space tracks of V4 and V5 (that is 'blank space' not Black Video) left blank V11 as is (which is eyeball 'on')

- cannot replicate by deleting mask path keyframes and toggling eyeball and attempting mask track forward, bug is elusive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright Dummergold, thanks a lot for your help, I think it's a bug and the workarounds are pretty random for each clip as you mentionned, pretty annoying.

I'm gonna report it to adobe, sad to see no one from the staff glanced at this problem!

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌you are welcome. The bug needs to be more specific for identification, so is it just the MFX and you have had no other tracking problems with the other media in your sequence? It was only the MFX I was targeting.

I will continue to chase the bug later, with your 'trimmed down' sequence.

I can also try to file a bug report if I can find a better describable work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you are able to proceed with your project. Looks like a good one, just from the amount of work you have into it.

Seems to me if you shut off visibility of all layers, except for the layer you are applying masks to, you should be able to track the .dpx or .mxf

With the Track Bug 2 sequence, the mask would track as long as the black video wasn't over 3.2 times the length of the .dpx clip.

With Track Bug 1 sequence, I had to stop chasing bugs and just turn off all video layers except the mask layer. Sometimes I could get tracking to work over the black video layer, and then I would loose that ability, not knowing what triggered it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem and discovered that I had sped the clip up to 125%

Once I put it back to 100%, it tracked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem, and I keep forgetting why!

It's because I have changed the speed of the video. I change the vid back to 100%, track the mask, and then reapply my speed change. Works fine.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem and tried resetting the speed effects, but the mask still won't track. Are there any other tricks to getting this to work?

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very very simple solution to this issue with masking and cropping (FOR THIS YOU WILL NEED AFTEREFFECTS)

1. Select the clip with your crop or masking effect in Premiere Pro
  2. Right Click and Replace with After Effects Composition(Ofc for this you will need to have a similar version of after effects as you do to Adobe Premiere)

3. After effects would've then replaced your composition in premiere pro and moved the masking effect to the After effects composition where you can freely edit and fine tune that mask which should play out fine in premiere.

You're Welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having this problem just yesterday - clicked the forward arrow to "track" the mask, and got nothing... I did have some effects on the clip (just Lumitri color, actually). My solution was just to duplicate the clip, remove all efffects, and BOOM - tracking worked again. I could then just copy over the mask and tracking data, or just copy over the effects to this new clip.

That being said, premiere did a poor job on the track, but that's a different issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines