Highlighted

Premiere Pro comes to a crawl trying to work on 10 days of footage

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is what I'm trying to do, I have about 10 days worth of footage, 25 files, 162GB at 1280x720 resolution. I'm not sure what the problem is, my video files are in .m4v, I've tried encoding them differently with Adobe Media Encoder, but I'm not sure what is the most optimized video format I should be using?

This is the problem, as soon as I start importing the videos into Premiere Pro, PP will come to a crawl and start consuming all my RAM. I have 32GB of RAM. After awhile it will calm down, but as soon as I start adding to the timeline or try doing anything, RAM usage spikes to 99% again. Making it impossible to do anything.

This has been a very frustrating experience. Can someone shed some light on what I maybe doing wrong?

My goal is to condense all this footage into <5-10 minutes. It's our gym floor being sanded and repainted. I think it will make a very cool video, but I've been struggling!

TOPICS
Editing, Formats, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro comes to a crawl trying to work on 10 days of footage

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is what I'm trying to do, I have about 10 days worth of footage, 25 files, 162GB at 1280x720 resolution. I'm not sure what the problem is, my video files are in .m4v, I've tried encoding them differently with Adobe Media Encoder, but I'm not sure what is the most optimized video format I should be using?

This is the problem, as soon as I start importing the videos into Premiere Pro, PP will come to a crawl and start consuming all my RAM. I have 32GB of RAM. After awhile it will calm down, but as soon as I start adding to the timeline or try doing anything, RAM usage spikes to 99% again. Making it impossible to do anything.

This has been a very frustrating experience. Can someone shed some light on what I maybe doing wrong?

My goal is to condense all this footage into <5-10 minutes. It's our gym floor being sanded and repainted. I think it will make a very cool video, but I've been struggling!

TOPICS
Editing, Formats, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 18, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spartan,

Sounds frustrating. What you might try is creating a new project. Then, import some of that same footage into it. How's it working? If well, then import the legacy project into the new one to see if that might repair the issues. Report back after trying this. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, thanks for the fast response. I have tried that. I have also tried moving the video files from my OS drive (1TB NVMe SSD) to a secondary drive (2TB NVMe SSD), along with starting a new project file on that drive with the same results.

I've also tried it with 1 video file (20 hours of footage) and I get the same issues with RAM spiking to 99% usuage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0