• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS4 eats my C: drive in Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Premiere Pro CS4 this last weekend 11-12 April 2009.

I have a Quadcore 3.0GHz with 8Gb of RAM, a 150Gb C: drive fo rthe op sys Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1 and programs, a 500Go D: drive for general data and a K: drive 2Tb RAID0 volume useable about 1.8Gb.

My C: drive was healthy after installation of Premiere Pro with tens of gigabytes free at least. Then I started experimenting with building projects. I put my files on a mix of the D: and K: drives especially the AVCHD video assets on the K:.

While importing these AVCHD assets I eventually got a message from Vista that the C: drive was full and I did a clean up and that gave approximetely 30Gb free, I went back to importing, in a couple of hours the 30Gb was gone, this can only be Premiere Pro CS4 eating the C: drive and never returning what it takes. This of course is a disaster precisely because it is my op sys drive and Vista will periodically want to make new restore points especially before applying downloaded updates from Microsoft. I ahve run also chkdsk and defragmenter with no effect. I think Premiere Pro is using some sort of secret work files on the C: drive somewhere and that they just accumulate, of course this would be a bug.

Support Center does not appear to let me open web support issues even though we are in the 90-day bug fix period and I have registered the product with the product key so that is another bug that gets in the way of fixing the first.

Any ideas please?

Thanks!

Peter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Well thanks for the suggestion, but no the problem was allocation of .PEK and .CFA files to the C: drive by default and that at least in my environment those were invisible and could not be reclaimed. I since restored from a backup to the point just after installation of PrPro, then went into Edit->Preferences->General->Media and set the two files therein to be on the RAID0 drive along with the imported AVCHD assets, now when I imported the assets C: drive remains normal and the .CFA and .PEK fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the good explanation.  I presume that shutting off the use of restore points solves that problem--which I have done.  I can't resist commenting that the Restore Points design for Vista is just plain stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system restore size can only be manipulated thru the VSSAdmin tool, with this you can bot view what your current usage is and also why your current "maximum" disk space is available for "restore" points, as I mention it can be set to "unbounded" and have no limit. I think 3-5 % of the drive C total is about right since this will allow you about five points (depending) with the new overwriting the old.

don solomon wrote:

Thanks for the good explanation.  I presume that shutting off the use of restore points solves that problem--which I have done.  I can't resist commenting that the Restore Points design for Vista is just plain stupid.

TMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not shut off restore points. The problem was resolved by setting explicitly the location of the Media files.

Message du 28/04/09 02:38

De : "don solomon"

A : "JONES Peter"

Copie à :

Objet : Premiere Pro CS4 eats my C: drive in Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Thanks for the good explanation. I presume that shutting off the use of restore points solves that problem--which I have done. I can't resist commenting that the Restore Points design for Vista is just plain stupid.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks for the suggestion, but no the problem was allocation of .PEK and .CFA files to the C: drive by default and that at least in my environment those were invisible and could not be reclaimed. I since restored from a backup to the point just after installation of PrPro, then went into Edit->Preferences->General->Media and set the two files therein to be on the RAID0 drive along with the imported AVCHD assets, now when I imported the assets C: drive remains normal and the .CFA and .PEK files appear in the same folder as the imported assets. And I think that each of the subsystems of PrPro have their own Media file settings to be set also, but those are not proving to be big consumers of space. Anyway having now completed a large part of project setup I am moving forward with other lessons from the Adobe 'classroom in a book'.

Message du 28/04/09 02:14

De : "tmsatterfeld"

Copie à :

Greetings, it sounds to me like your space s being taken up by an ever increasing number of restore points being created. In Vista, unlike XP there is no simply GUI with which to adjust your max allowable space to be used to create restore points. Instead you must launch a command line and set a limit through the VSSAdmin as is is the Volume Shadow Copy which takes the snapshots, you can only find out as well has limit the amount of space allowed for these snapshots through the command line to the VSSAdmn. If your system is set to "Unbounded" there is no limit and it can eat your entire drive away until you get a drive low warning. Since you cannot "See" restore" points or there size, this may be your problem. TMS

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I had the same problem and reading all this large discussion helped me very much...

Well, just another question... after moving all the cache files from C: to another HD, how can i delete them from C:/? Is there a way to show the folders? Or they automatically disappear when you change the destination folder?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one known way to me.

Use your prior Vista backup disk in conjunction with your Vista DVD-ROM to restore from backup with a C: reformat.

So long as you have a good backup made by Vista from before the disk eating episode then you are OK and it takes much less than an hour.

Message du 13/05/09 02:48

De : "menego11"

Copie à :

Wow! I had the same problem and reading all this large discussion helped me very much...

Well, just another question... after moving all the cache files from C: to another HD, how can i delete them from C:/? Is there a way to show the folders?

Thanks

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Man, I just ran across this issue on Windows 7.  I noticed I only had 1 gig left on a 300 gig drive.

I could not figure out what was going on, so I searched for large files and guess what, there was 200 gig of

adobe file in the media cache folder.  This is nuts it does not clean itself up.  So, I just deleted them all.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines