Highlighted

Premiere Pro deleted all of my original video files for good. Over 18 hours of editing and priceless footage I cant just re record.

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, today I rendered my project using premiere pro. When I watched the final video after export, half of it says media offline. I tried to re link the media only to find that half of my original footage has been permanently deleted off my hard drive.

I haven't deleted any of it myself, its not in my recycle bin it's just gone. Ive tried using an old autosave to fix the problem but the media is still offline, because my files have miraculously disappeared.

What's going on????? Has anybody else had a similar problem and fixed it? I am beyond angry. It is priceless footage that cant be re created WTF!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro deleted all of my original video files for good. Over 18 hours of editing and priceless footage I cant just re record.

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, today I rendered my project using premiere pro. When I watched the final video after export, half of it says media offline. I tried to re link the media only to find that half of my original footage has been permanently deleted off my hard drive.

I haven't deleted any of it myself, its not in my recycle bin it's just gone. Ive tried using an old autosave to fix the problem but the media is still offline, because my files have miraculously disappeared.

What's going on????? Has anybody else had a similar problem and fixed it? I am beyond angry. It is priceless footage that cant be re created WTF!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was one short release of Premiere that could actually under certain circumstances delete files ... that was a couple years back.

Which version ... number-dot-number like "13.1.2 build 9" ... are you using?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys.. I am using Windows 10. Premiere Pro Version 13.1.2 (Build 9)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this, losing files is the worst. I've been using PPRO on 13.1.2 on 2 different Windows 10 machines every day for a while without issues, so not sure Premiere is the culprit. I know Windows 10 had an issue of deleting files a little while back. looks like it was 1809, and I think there was a way to restore them if What release of Windows 10 are you on? (you can see this by searching for "About my PC" in the start menu search. From that article it says you can call Microsoft for support at: 1-800-MICROSOFT

I believe the files that were deleted were in the User folder. Were your files in the user folder or on an external hard drive?

You could also try searching your whole computer for those file names in case they got moved somehow.

Finally, you could try some sort of data recovery program on the hard disk the files were on: The Best Data Recovery Software | PCMag.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying about using it everyday with no issues.. I am using Windows 10 home Version 1809. Although I think premiere pro must be the culprit in this case. I havent even turned my computer off since this morning and some of the files that were deleted, was footage I recorded today.

The footage was spread across multiple different folders because it was recorded on different dates and different devices etc... I dont know whether I might have pressed a random keyboard shortcut or something, thats my buest guess if its not a software issue. But yes, most of them would have been within the user folder.

Ive already tried searching my drives with file names had no success, my next step is data recovery but it doesn't look promising.

Thanks for the replies though, I really appreciate it !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, that's not good. Going forward I'd try to put your stuff on a different/new hard drive. I have had some mysterious recent folders absolutely vanish before, though hard to diagnose, my first guess if it's not the OS would be a drive error. You could try Error Checking the drive by going into Properties > Tools on your hard drive.

Also, I know it's too late for the stuff that's already missing, but definitely get a backup service like Crashplan or Backblaze. They're super cheap these days and can save a lot of headaches.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

Can you try a search of the media files using the filetype suffix, like ".mov" etc.?

Is it possible a media drive is ejected?

Is it possible a media drive is damaged?

Do you not have any hard backups of your media anywhere?

Ironically, I just wrote a blog post about backing up footage.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, I just wrote a blog post about backing up footage.

It still amazes me how many users dont realize how important that is and only start making backups after the fact.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2019 2
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about your issue.  I want to add some extra information to what Kevin M has said.

There is no code in Premiere Pro that would remove those files from your computer.

Files may be removed are via the Media Cache preferences and only very specific files generated by the application such as cfa and pek files and only if this preference is enabled.

Reg Santo Tomas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 1