• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro flips video automatically upside down, how to fix

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very annoying problem which occurs from time to time to me. I've imported media from the go-pro. When viewing them in the source monitor they appear upside down. It only happens to video's taken on the water. It look likes adobe applies some 'intelligence' when importing and decides to rotate the video, probably some wrong horizon detection?

I'm absolutely 100% sure that this particular vids are not actually recorded upside down. When playing back in on windows media player, vlc media player, and even after I  uploaded it to youtube (for testing): they all show the video the right way.

When using ingest settings the proxies are also created upside down, and the proxies also appear upside down in vlc media player. See screenshot of the original media and the proxy created by adobe.

Dragging the into the timeline and than rotate by effect isn't an option. See the image for all the situations.

video flip issues.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the orientation of the picture appear as expected in Go Pro Studio (Go Pro renamed their software, so I am referring to it by the name that I remember).

Unless you want to generate new master files, you’ll have to use Rotation under Motion in the Effect Controls panel.

You can use Copy and Paste Attributes to speed this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update 25-11..

I reinstalled everything. This solved two things:

- PP now showing original media the right way

- PP created proxy files that play back the right way (not upside down) in media players.

Only I got one major problem left, PP still play back the proxy file upside down.. What used to be some of them, now all of them are playing back the wrong way. See below.

Naamloos.png

to make this even more crazy: when i Import the proxy as regular media then it shows well

Naamloos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anybody having the same problem: go to project settings / general change renderere and playback to Software Only instead of CUDA. Will fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flipped Proxy is an issue under investigation and we hope to fix as soon as possible. Until then, the workaround is to set your Renderer to Software Only (as you have already discovered).

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news. The flipped video issue should be fixed in the Premiere Pro 13.0.2 update that was posted last night. Make sure to delete the Media Cache folders before launching Premiere to avoid any cache issues.

More information on 13.0.2:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for fixing this for CC 2019.Is there any way to workaround this issue in Premiere CC2018 as our studio hasn't updated to 2019 yet?

Thanks

Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In older versions like CC2018, a possible workaround is to set your Renderer to Software Only. Go to File menu > Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer: set to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately changing the renderer doesn't work for me.

Cheers

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings! I just upgraded to Premiere Pro CC 2020 and I'm still getting this issue. Setting the render to software only IS NOT fixing the issue. Please help ASAP and thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues.  Premiere Pro 2020 has also now given me two error messages related to drivers.  I'm updated one driver, but the other is Nvidia and requires some more work.

I can no longer render in the editor.  The Red bar has been replaced with yellow and will not turn green. 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I had a MOV file from an iPhone, Used VLC to convert to mp4, and imported that file into Adobe and now the video is upside but plays everywhere else right side up. How do I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inana,

What is the source footage? Have you tried transcoding it?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trent Happel 

I'm still getting this exact issue in Premiere Pro 14.9. Doesn't seem to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above methods do not work for some of the DJI OM4 videos. My Premiere Pro Version 15.0.0, build 41.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I also still have this issue after importing DJI files into version 15.2.0. Build 35. Very annoying and nothing seems to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Anyone know how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here with footage from my new iphone 13 pro max. Looks perfect on the preview, then on render, SOME of the clips get turned upside down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using the latest version of Premiere and I was having this issue with AVI files and in my case it turned out to be due to an AVI codec that I had installed for Ross Xpression (xpvCodec2-10.5_5510). Once I uninstalled the codec the video flipping issue was gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines