Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro freezes after a minute of editing

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've had a problem for the last couple of months which makes Premiere Pro unusable for me. When I make a new project, I can add clips and audio to the timeline for about a minute, before the whole program just freezes and I can't move the timeline cursor, click on any clips on the timeline, nor click on any of the learning, assembly, editing, color etc. tabs. I can however play the timeline by pressing SPACE, but the cursor does not move along correctly when done so.

My PC-Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i5-9400F

GPU: Geforce RTX 2060 SUPER

RAM: 16 GB

Even though I've selected Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) in the Project Settings, the CPU is doing all the work according to the task manager, where 90% of my CPU and 50% of my RAM is used while editing in Premiere Pro, which thus make me think that the problem does not have anything to do with the RAM.

I tried deleting the Media Cache, which didn't fix the problem.

The attached screenshot shows what happens to the Effects tab when the whole program freezes.

Do you guys know why this happens? The problem leaves Premiere Pro unusable, and thus a huge waste of money if I can't fix it.

Kindest regards,

Erlend.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found out know that Premiere Pro only uses 30% of my CPU for the first minute of editing, but when the program first freezes, the CPU usage percentage jumps up to 90%. Thought that might be interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, the software is not useble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me,too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just throwing some ideas out.  Never easy to diagnose these things from a distance.  please tell us the version of premiere yo'ure using and your source properties and sequence settings.  And what kind of drive is your media stored on.  Might be an idea to test your media drive speed.  If it's via a network, try working with media on a local drive.  16 gigs is not a lot of ram particularly if you're working with 4K material or higher.       Do you have any peripherals connected besides the mouse and keyboard?  If so, try disconnecting them.  You might try creating a new user account with administrative privileges and sign in to the new account and see if that makes any difference.  And try disconnecting from the internet either by turning off wifi or pulling the ethernet cable.

Please go thru these ideas in a systematic fashion.  Always easy to go down the rabbit hole because something obvious hasn't be mentioned...  and no way of telling your level of expertise so forgive me if I've stated the obvious somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and of course, try resetting your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone that once ONLY exclusively used Premiere for any video editing I have been searching for a solution to this for years. Nothing has come up. Adobe usually blames it on RAM and CPU, yet the Mac users I've spoken with don't have this problem or they encounter it to a lesser degree. So it's definitely not the hardware. The machine I use pumps out real-time renders in Unreal Engine without speeding up a single fan, yet it practically falls apart when I try to open Premiere, let alone play anything back in it.

I did find a workaround here that has improved my speed, workflow and productivity by nearly 300%!!! I would highly recommend trying this out:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Since I started using this I haven't had ANY issues with Adobe Premiere... Mostly because I uninstalled it and haven't given it a single thought since. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try disabling hardware decoding for NVIDIA in Preferences > Media. Restart the computer. Let us know if that helps, Erlend.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines