• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro freezes and crashes when importing files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue importing media to Premiere Pro CC 2018 as it immediately crashes once import begins.

Before writing this thread, I had a look at several forums and taken the below measures:

• Re-install Premiere Pro CC 2018
  • Moved to Mercury Playback Engine Software only
  • Change project view to list and hover scrubs
  • Proceed to ingest the media either with Apple ProRes or Apple ProRes proxies
  • Checked that none of the files are corrupt

Unfortunately, none of these nor their combination have worked. My MacBook Pro has the following specs:

• MacBook Pro: (15-inch, 2017 Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory:16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about your storage configuration? where is each and everything stored?

Have you tried changing the location of your cache folder?

Have you tried importing one file at a time?

When you say crashes, do you mean freezes? or premiere quits with an error? can you tell us what the error is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian,

Yes storage, cache, doing on at a time all tried.

It freezes the second I try import something, I get the rainbow wheel of death and then I get 'premiere has encountered a serious error'.

New development though, its only doing it was these canon 80D files, but is perfectly happy with sony and audio files.

I've gone through each clip and every one of them is fine so I'm stumped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to know where are Cache files stored, where are media files stored, where are project files stored.

what is the nature of the 80D files?

What do you mean by "Yes storage, cache, doing on at a time all tried." what have you tried exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All files stored on the desktop, but i've attempted moving them to different places as suggested on previous threads.
The 80D files are mp4 files, never had a problem with them before. The sony files are also mp4s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please specify in details where everything is located.
I need to know what you mean by "different places"
Also it is important to know where the Cache files are located.

Also, How are you importing? Drag and drop? right click import, Media browser?

Can you please post a screen recording of the issue. Also, if you will be posting a screen recording, browse to the cache folder to show us where it is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't the cache - my old MacBook still has premiere 2017 and isn't having the same problems so i'll just use that, despite it being a much slower machine. I can't waste anymore time though, this is an impatient client.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KQRach,

Please reinstall CC 2017 and see if the files import there. If they do, it may be that the 80D is creating QuickTime files that are out of compliance. If you can, upload a sample file so I can report this to engineering. Sorry for the frustration.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import hangs and crashes premiere pro from the file menu only.  The program doesn't scan the drives. If this is a tip for the people in support and fixing this annoying bug, what seems to fix it is redefining the work drive in preferences. I'm on a custom PC running win10 latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was also having the same problem with premiere. I'm no expert but what worked for me was not importing the files through premiere but opening my file explorer separately and dragging them into the project.

Hope this helps someone because I was having this issue for ages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled TrendMicro AV and restarted Premiere Pro... The import worked fine from then on; no more crashing. Not sure what it was doing but no other fix worked for me. Perhaps I got lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how does one disable TrendMicro AV?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think am having the same issue. When I drag the .MOV files from my downloads folder to my Premiere Pro project timeline, my laptop restarts almost immediately. These are videos that I took on my iPhone 11 Pro that I want to edit in Premiere Pro...

I am working on a brand new laptop with 2TB of space. 
Laptop specs: 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines