• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

premiere pro: how to make the play head return to initial play position in windows 8

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using windows 8. please tell me how to make the play head return to it's initial play position in premiere pro. an example of what i would like to happen would be if i pushed the space bar to play from the source monitor or the timeline with the play head at 10 seconds, let it play for 3 seconds, hit pause, then hit play again to start playing from 10 seconds. currently it will always play from 13 seconds with no fixed play position, in this example. obviously all numbers used in the previous example are arbitrary. i am aware that i can hit enter to jump to the beginning of the entire project but that is not what i want. i am also aware that i can use "mark in" or "add marker" and then use shortcuts to jump back to them as a way to set play position but this is extremely inefficient and impractical when trying to quickly preview the project or clip over and over from the same play position to monitor changes being done. in fl studio, for instance, if you left click any bar in the playlist's timeline, it will move the play head as well as the play position to the location that was clicked. in fl studio, for example, if i hit play at 10 seconds, let it play for 3 seconds, hit pause, then hit play again, it will start playing from 10 seconds. if i wanted to resume playing from 13 seconds instead, i would simply hold ctrl before pausing. if i wanted to resume playing from the beginning of the entire project, i would simply hold shift before pausing. fl studio is not an adobe product and was merely used as an example to illustrate what it is exactly i am looking for but surely there must be something similar to the basic timeline navigation of fl studio's playlist timeline in adobe premiere pro's timeline that i am unaware of. thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set in and out point on the timeline and play video in to out (you can even make as kbsc for it)

play video in to out.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea by default "i" is "mark in" and "enter" is "play video in to out" but i was hoping there was some way to make it so that i could just hit "space" for "play" and "pause" and have it go back to the initial start position without having to mess with "i", "enter", and "ctrl + shift + i" (to remove "in"). guess i'll just mess with shortcuts for now. thanks for quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the selection tool to select the clips I want to see.

Hit forward slash.

Hit Video in to out or Render in to out.

Ctrl+shift+X removes in to out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the same functionality using the "Play Around" (Shift+K) button and changing the Pre-roll default seconds from 3 to 0 on Preferences > Playback.
I used Sony Vegas in the past and without that missing feature, I was struggling since it affects my workflow a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually put it to 60 seconds and change the shortcut to "space" (usuall play is "shift+k" now). And it's perfect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i mean the preroll is 0, post roll is 60

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding this really, really frustrating. Why, with in and out points, is the play/pause button sending the playhead all the way back to the start of the comp?? This isn't answered - it's a flaw in functionality. No other NLE or DAW I use does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reluctantly commuting from Vegas to Premiere and finding this very annoying too. Vegas gives the simple option to use the space bar as 'pause' or 'stop & return' just like Soundforge. I can't help you out but I can amplify your thoughts in saying that PP is shockingly unefficient and seems like it was programmed by people who never looked at other softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. I've mentioned this to other Adobe users and they say 'Why would you need a function like that?' I gues this is how indoctrinated you can be. i've seen so many techniques taken from Vegas and added to other NLEs in the past. Why not just allow this as a shortcut option? Like you say it seems like the programmers have never looked at other programs and have never edited anything. it's such a waste of time not being able to return to the same place. This one ability is what has stopped me from using Premiere for so long. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I KNOW, RIGHT?! I feel like Vegas has spoiled us all so much in terms of interface and workflow, but without being able to ultimately provide an industry standard product. We are all forced to move to Premiere or Resolve now, and for those of us who really used Vegas for complex stuff, and got used to its lightning fast worflow, it's absolutely excruciating moving to an OBJECTIVELY inferior interface/workflow, even if Premiere has lots of other features. But the actual clip manipulation on the timeline feels INCREDIBLY clunky and counterintuitive. I remember back in 2004 when I decided to leave IMSI Lumiere Video Studio behind, I tried out Premiere and it felt HORRIBLE. A higschool friend told me about Vegas Pro, and I laughed at the name. Yet, that night when I tried it for the first time, I WAS HOOKED. Alas, we are in this situation now. 😥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very simple toggle in After Effects and with one tick in a Preference option one can make this very important tool suit their workflow. And I'm in Premiere 2020 now looking for that selection and googling about where it might be located (so I arrived here). Amazing that such a tool preference is not present (while it exists in AE)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm coming from Vegas too and this is super annoying. Have you or anyone come up with something similar? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the closest thing i found to what we have in vegas is to put ur mouse crosso where ever u want in the timeline and insted of prssing space to play frome that point u have to press ur mouse then space 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to disable timeline autoscroll to make that work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do this by setting pre-roll in edit > preferences> playback to 0,post-roll to something comfortable like 15 seconds or so. Then change the keyboard shortcut function of spacebar from play-stop toggle to play-around. But this also poses a problem where you cant find a hotkey to pause the playhead. It would have been perfect if I found a solution for this too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to this chorus.  I've been seeking the "play-stop at previous start point" function as a holy grail since I was dragged kicking and screaming from Vegas Pro lo these many years.  It seems so simple to create and useful. 

Reading this post I'm recalling all the features of Vegas Pro I miss but I'll refrain from the complain.  But, you really can't save without stopping playback?  Not that important but it bugs me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is your answer. https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-cc-2018-how-to-prevent-autoplay...

Above the box he denotes, there is "at playback end, return to the beginning when restarting playback."

Uncheck BOTH boxes. the one in red that is circled, and the one two above.  I'm over explaining, if you can read they should make sense why they will work.  I hope this helps.  I started using adobe 2 days ago and I immediately wanted to fix this.  Render ONE clip at the end of a project and it forces me to scroll all the way through the timeline, what a waste of out time!  Happy hunting and good fortunes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

our time*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the answer to allowing the playhead to automaticaly return to the last position, like Vegas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see a lot of complicated answers for your simple question.  I found your question because I too am coming from a different NLE and am learning Premiere.  The simplest way to go back to the beginning of the clip is to press the up arrow, or down arrow to go to the end of the clip.  The space bar works as a simple playhead stop/start.  Shift+space bar seems to send the playhead to the beginning of the timeline, like the enter key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines