• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Import Creates Duplicate Media

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our workflow involves 3 different editors working on 4 different machines (the lead editor has a machine at the office and at home) with 4 different copies of the media (the exact same folder structure, files, etc).  The lead editor maintains a master project, the other two editors work in copies of that master in sequences that are then to be imported into the master each week.  Premiere has had import issues as long as I remember, but our most recent issue is that when importing individual sequences from the secondary projects, the media in that sequence is duplicated in the project despite the fact that its connected to the exact same files that already exist in the project.  Every time we make sure to open a project and connect all media on the same machine as the master project to make sure that it's pointed at the same files.  We have experimented with turning the clip XMP metadata setting on and off, and even made copies of all of the media after changing that setting to assure that all of the footage had the proper ID tags.  This is one thing that I desperately miss about FCP7. 

Anybody else having similar issues? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  Working on shared storage with a few editors.  The import either does not work at all (nothing is imported) or when it does it duplicates the media.  Tried all the various ways of importing, Enabled write XMP ID to files on import, and anything else I found online.

Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was secretly hoping someone would respond with a very simple setting that I hadn't thought of, but my research has revealed that a lot of people are having similar issues. 

Ernesto, I get different results when I drag a sequence from Media Browser (progress bar runs for a while, nothing happens) than when i right click and select "Import" also, which is strange.  Whenever I do get it to import the sequence, it duplicates media.  Even if i import a sequence from a previous version of the same project, it duplicates.  This is definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed.  Here's another thread about the same issue.  Pls. file a bug report, Feature Request/Bug Report Form .  Hoping it get's resolved in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link for the other thread.  Import Sequence not working after Oct 17 update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After years of using Final Cut Pro 7, I finally made the switch to Premiere Pro CC. I am adjusting for the most part, but cannot wrap my head around this problem of Premiere duplicating media once I import it into my project. Is there any action I can do that will prevent this duplication of media? Such action will needlessly consume available storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION:  with no help from Adobe, but having talked with several expert users, here's how to fix it.  EVERYTHING must be imported thru the Media Browser.  All your original footage, and sequences from other project files.  In Preferences>Media the 'allow duplicate media on import" must be checked.

Once you've started your project this way, it will import sequences thru the Media Browser without duplicating folders.  note that all the media in the timeline has to be in your project in the same folder structure.  This is pretty simple with source footage, but can get dicey if each editor has different music, graphics, etc.

When you want to import the sequence, you highlight the project file in the browser and let dynamic link read it (just like when you do a regular import).  When you see the sequence you want, you can right click to import.  No dups will be made.

I've only found two problems to far.  1) the timeline will be unlinked, but that's an easy fix to relink.  2) you can only import one thing at a time from the browser, although it can be a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also yet to attempt this (because it is too late for my current project I am having this issue on)...

But I recommend that for anyone who knows there will be multiple editors passing the project between them, check the preference "Write XMP ID to files on import" BEFORE you import ANYTHING.

That's in the Media tab within Preferences.

Also, a note...plan on consolidating the project often (once a week or so).

Make a new Master project, and then let everyone make a new copy of that to work from.

If you are using anything like Nested or Multicam clips...be ABSOLUTELY sure not to change them in the least unless you are in the brand new consolidated Master Project (before anyone makes their new copies).

I'm currently attempting this workflow...between 3 editors...

In a week or two...I'll know how successful it was and try to report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doc, I did several tests today, and the Write XMP was not necessary to make this work.  It's all in the MB import.  and having allow dup media checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How complicated was the project you were testing it on?

How much footage? How many sequences? Anything nested or multi-cammed?

In general...I'm just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since, as far as I can tell, you have to start the project my importing thru the browser, I created very small test projects.  The giant project that lead me to this journey can't do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear that. Me too.

I'd be curious, in the future, if a bigger project gives you any trouble.

Please circle back around if you get the chance to give an update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this thread.  The writer has a way of fixing it on existing projects.  I have not tested this.

Re: Solving Duplicate Master Clips AFTER they have been edited into timelines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually tried BOTH solutions proposed there:

1.To relink all files in the project with the sequence you're trying to port over

and

2. To create a brand new project and import the entire old project with duplicate clips.

My issues persisted...

My duplicate Multicam Clips were still created and did not go away, respectively.

As well as a few stragglers of regular audio and video clips (those I would care a lot less about-less work to fix).

I basically had to brute force the work and replace all instances that the new duplicate clip was being used...and then delete.

HOPEFULLY...after doing all that, my new workflow will eliminate the need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying CHECK "allow dupe media'   athe guys below and the Adobe support line is saying UNCHECK that box.

Is it really working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, you leave all dupe media unchecked. What I was saying was I didn’t find any of the XMP choices to make a difference. It’s all in the import via Media Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! 

This way of relinking the new project file BEFORE importing shared sequences is a great idea, thanks 

-- will try soon.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the fix fo this. Importing sequences between projects with the same media being referenced.

In preferences have Write XMP ID to files on import checked.

Uncheck - Allow duplicate media during project import.

When you want to import a sequence to the following.

In a project (different from the one you that has the sequence you will import)

Use the media browser tab.

Find the project. Click into it.

Find the sequence you want to import.

Right click on that sequence > import.

Seems to come into the project with no duplicate media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has plagued many for some time now including our studio. We have multiple workstations and editors on projects some times and noticed that this was randomly happening. We searched for the solution to why it would happen on some projects but not others, and why only some people were having this issue. 

I can verify that your Project Window directory and bins need to be the same to eliminate this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am just going to follow up here...

I have been doing this with mostly successful results lately, using multiple external hard drives to allow multiple editors to work on the same project (the largest one being a feature length documentary currently timed out at an egregiously long 3.5 hours).

Good practice techniques:

1. Make sure that in 'Premiere Pro>Preferences>Media' you have "Write XMP ID to files on Import" checked BEFORE you begin your project, before you import ANY footage
  2. Import EVERYTHING through the Media Browser window, as opposed to the drag-and-drop technique
  3. Triple check that the folder structure on each external hard drive is exactly matching
  4. Have one Master Project and one Master Hard Drive - only import the other editors' work into this project
  5. Each new bit of work every editor does should be in a duplicate sequence in their own Editor Bin in the Project Window
    (This ensures that they won't unintentionally mess with any old sequences that need to remain exactly the same in each        instance of the project and makes combining projects MUCH easier)
  6. Don't wait too long before consolidating the project, making the consolidated project the new Master Project (in my case named "2019.06.27_ThisProject_Consolidated6")
  7. Copy over the other editor's project to your Master Drive
  8. Eject the other editor's hard drive
  9. Open the other editor's project by itself from the Master Drive (with the Master Project closed) and reconnect all files to the corresponding files on the Master Drive and save
  10. Close this project and open the Master Project
  11. By either using 'File>Import' or 'Right click (in Project Window)>Import', double click the other editor's project
  12. Select "Import Selected Sequences" (Feel free to leave "Create folder for imported items" checked (for easy spotting just in case, but make sure "Allow importing duplicate media" is NOT checked)
  13. After this window loads up the other editor's project, select the editor's newly edited sequence (do this one sequence at a time)
  14. The sequence alone should now have been imported your project, linking correctly to the footage on the Master Drive and (hopefully) the only instance of its clips within your project
  15. Occasionally, a random duplicate clip will slip through...
    (I 'undo>redo' a couple times while watching my Project Window to be sure nothing new appears)
  16. Double check this process by opening up the new sequence, right clicking on a few different clips and selecting "Reveal in Project" - this should bring up the correct (and only) instance of the clip in your Project Window
  17. Save, of course
  18. Make sure that any new footage that has put onto the Master Hard Drive since the last consolidation is copied over to each editor's drives in the correct corresponding folder location
  19. Copy the new Master Project to each editor's drives and have them rename it to prevent future confusion (in my case "2019.06.27_ThisProject_Consolidated7_INT", with INT being the editor's initials)

I hope this helps anyone dealing who has dealt with these issues and helps prevent them in the future!

Done incorrectly, it can cause QUITE a headache down the line - the bigger the project, the worse the headache...

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the biggest things to help for those working in a post-house with a common NAS or other network server is to use the Shared Projects process and project form.

Rather than each person copying the project files and such onto their machines using the master project with other editors "invited" to use ge project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not yet had the opportunity the test out the Shared Project workflow.

To clarify, my above workflow is meant for those WITHOUT access to a communal server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a sequence from one project to another, do the following:

0. Important: Between the two projects, the folder structures on the root of the project in Premiere should be the same

1. Select the sequence you'll want to "move"

2. File > Export > Selection as a Premiere project...

3. Save this "exported project" somewhere that you'll eventually delete (to avoid confusion later on). This exported project is a simplified project that does not contain anything not on the sequence you selected.

4. Now open the project you want to import the exported project into, and go to Import and select this new "exported project" you just made.

5. Select "Import entire project", everything else unchecked.

6. Premiere will auto-sort everything correctly. Any similar footage will not be duplicated as long as duplicate media in preferences is turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This seemed to work for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > project settings> ingest setting> UNCHECK the box that says "ingest" it will gray out the "copy on ingest" ability

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines