• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Import: File contains a complex edit list

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got my first Mac and am using Premiere Pro. I'm trying to import some screen recordings from my desktop, and only one will upload. The rest receive an error message that says "File contains a complex edit list", then a window pops up with those three clips' file names and says "We were unable to open the file on disk."

I moved them from the desktop into a folder and have the same problem. Any suggestions? Using Premiere CC 2018.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Premiere Pro does not currently have full support for clips with complex edit lists. The error message is letting you know the reason why the clip could not be imported.

Until full support is added, a possible workaround it to encode the clips in another application. This should then allow Premiere to import the encoded clip.

I also encourage you to add your request to User Voice (to support clips with complex edit lists). Premiere Pro: Hot (3536 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLUS ONE! Two nearly identical files, both from Quicktime screen recordings. First recording imported with no problems, second wouldn’t import (“complex file” error). Changed the extension of the second file from .mov to .mp4. Imported with no problems.

Why this is still an issue more than a year since first being reported, I’d love to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue, I just got my Macbook Pro 16" and took three screen recordings, first two fail to import the last one, no probem. Changed to MP4 and they both imported. Having an issue with the second one though, where the playback is super laggy and stuttery, I remove the video and it's fine. No problems with the first and third one but the second one causes the whole thing to stutter. Very annoying. Brand new computer, 32GB RAM, should have no issues with editing in Premier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this should really be the stickied answer @Trent Happel (its the only suggestion that actually solves the issue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround for Mac users, using the quick time screen recorder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, even the Quicktime Screen Recorder doesn’t work if you’re importing more than one .mov file. Actual solution: Adamchap October 21, 2019 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKED: 

go to files, double click on the video file, click rename, and rename the .MOV to .MP4

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already advised six months ago. Adamchap Oct 29, 2029

YOU’RE welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 11.22.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue, and i tried right-clicking on the file, selecting 'Encode Selected Video Files' and it created a new video which seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are, three years after this initial post and this just happened to me today.  On an almost daily basis I'm importing screen recordings from Quicktime to Media Encoder, then into Premiere for editing - in fact, I did it fifteen hours ago.  And this morning? Premiere refuses to import and Adobe Media Encoder won't recognize the file either.  I mean, clearly I can use some third party application to encode the screen recording, but I do pay for an Adobe subscription and these apps were working yesterday with no problems. The files were all created with the same computer and the same audio inputs - nothing has changed.  I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines