Premiere Pro imports videos in weird inverted/purple color

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I have absolutely no prior experience with premiere pro and I'm just starting to get into video editing. I just got premiere pro yesterday and I'm trying to mess around with some videos and everytime I import these videos it turns into a purple/inverted color looking video in my workspace like this:

https://s17.postimg.org/zdxmri2r3/premiere_pro_problem.png

My cursor is over the bottom left window in that far right video making it look purple. If my cursor isn't over it, it looks normal.

What's going on here? I tried messing around and exporting a video, which looks like it exported okay (even though I don't know where it exported to but that's irrelevant).

PC specs:

Windows 10
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
64 bit

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: Exporting videos turn out looking horrible as well. This is what the exported video looks like from above:

premiere pro problem2.png

Has a weird green line at the top of the video and video's colors are off and the quality is super low as well

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved ? i am facing same problem here..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked that and made sure my drivers were updated. I noticed that premiere pro works perfectly fine when I don't use Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL). Everything looks fine when I use Mercury Playback Engine Software Only.

Whats the difference between these two? Will I get lower video quality using software only?

Also, I think I figured out why I'm getting these weird colors... I don't think premiere pro supports my graphics card. I just got this laptop and I think the graphics card is a fairly new one

This pic seems to have the details of my laptop's specs

HP-Envy-Ryzen-5-2600U-Vega-Mobile.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sunk47878817, that fixed my problem. I have the exact same laptop and I was having the same problem with Premiere, where the preview turned purple when I paused the video. Setting it to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only fixed the problem. I guess drivers have not yet been fine tuned yet. Would be nice if AMD and Adobe could address this problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIght want to roll back a driver.

Setting MPE to software is not rely a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP has the same laptop as me, it was the first laptop model to come with an AMD Ryzen Mobile APU (CPU+GPU), specifically, the AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Mobile Processor with Raden Vega 8 Graphics. This model was released in October 2017, so I believe AMD has not yet fully optimized drivers for this APU. Heck, I can't even find drivers for my laptop on AMD's website, I could only install drivers through a tool provided by HP. So even if I wanted, I have on way to roll back drivers. And even if I could, I don't think rolling back drivers would help in this instance, given how new this APU is, I think AMD simply hasn't optimized drivers for it yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

svp, I have since returned that HP laptop for a Dell laptop that I think is marketed more for gaming laptops but this thing is an absolute beast. If you're waiting long periods of time while editing, I suggest paying a hundred or a little more bucks on a laptop with a graphics card that premiere would recognize. It's been a night and day difference. This is the laptop I have now: Dell I7567-5650BLK-PUS. I got mine from bestbuy from an open box for like $740 which is a damn good deal for how powerful this laptop is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunk47878817  wrote

Hey guys, I have absolutely no prior experience with premiere pro and I'm just starting to get into video editing. I just got premiere pro yesterday and I'm trying to mess around with some videos and everytime I import these videos it turns into a purple/inverted color looking video in my workspace like this:

https://s17.postimg.org/zdxmri2r3/premiere_pro_problem.png

My cursor is over the bottom left window in that far right video making it look purple. If my cursor isn't over it, it looks normal.

What's going on here? I tried messing around and exporting a video, which looks like it exported okay (even though I don't know where it exported to but that's irrelevant).

PC specs:

Windows 10
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
64 bit

Method 1 (Temp Fix For Adobe Premiere Pro Only)

⦁ Open Adobe Premiere Pro

⦁ Open a project

⦁ Go to File -> Project Settings -> General

⦁ Set Renderer to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"

⦁ Click OK

This Resolves..

⦁ Discoloration while playing back footage. (Adobe Premeire Pro)

Method 2 (Permanent Fix For System)

Download the following files:

⦁ DDU v17.0.9.1.exe (1.15 MB)

⦁ amd-chipset-drivers18.10.c.0601.exe (65.3 MB)

⦁ win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe (477 MB)

Step 1: Scrub AMD drivers from system

⦁ Boot into Safe Mode

⦁ Run DDU v17.0.9.1.exe file

⦁ Follow "recommended" prompts

⦁ Restart PC

Step 2: Install AMD Chipset Drivers

⦁ Install and run amd-chipset-drivers18.10.c.0601.exe file

⦁ Follow prompts to clean install

⦁ Restart PC

Step 3: Install Graphics Driver

⦁ Install and run win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe file (If you get 182 Error, that's fine. Continue with next steps)

⦁ Follow prompts for express install

⦁ Open Device Manager

⦁ Go to Display adapters -> Microsoft Display Adapter (AMD RadeonTM) Vega 8 Graphics, whichever shows)

⦁ Right click -> Update Driver -> Browse computer for driver software

⦁ Click "Let me pick from a list of available..."

⦁ Click Have Disk..

⦁ Open C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\CO331246.inf file

⦁ Scroll down large list to AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics, and click Next

⦁ Install driver and Reboot

Step 4: Install Radeon Adrenalin Edition Settings

⦁ Open Windows Explorer

⦁ Navigate to C:\AMD\.. folder

⦁ Search "ccc2_install" and click on found exe file

⦁ Follow prompts to complete install.

⦁ Done (Restart Optional)

This Resolves..

⦁ Discoloration while playing back footage. (Adobe Premiere Pro)

⦁ Windows crashes with video playback after waking from Sleep State (Windows 10)

⦁ "Application blocked from accessing hardware" bug (Windows 10)

Final Cleanup

Now that everything is stable, another Windows Update may try and rollback all the hard work you've just completed. You'll need to turn that off.

⦁ Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System

⦁ Click on Advanced System Settings

⦁ Under Hardware Tab, click Device Installation Settings

⦁ Change Automatic Installation Settings to No

⦁ Save Changes

From this point on, you will be solely responsible for any Hardware Driver related downloads. I'd recommend a software, like DevID, to accomplish this in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Method 1 already fixed my problem. I am also a new user to Premier Pro and found this worked for me. I have a moderate graphics card for windows that is new but I still had discoloration until I tried your tips. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this problem was fixed by option 1, but for some video effects, it says that my GPU Accelerator needs to be enabled (otherwise the effects don't show and have a red bar across the screen).

Anyone have any other fixes other than option 2 wizardry? Looks a little bit too long for my lazy self : )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same laptop and a partial solution. Add 'channel mix' effect and set it to:

Red-blue=100, Green-green=100, Blue-red=100 and the rest to 0.

This should fix the HW playback. Before export turn off this effect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" fixes the problem but not quite.

Setting off "Display Colour Management" in Edit > Preferences > General is what really seams to fix it.

This problem lies in a weird way that Premiere Pro handles .icc profiles with the GPU.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere was hard-coded to run on pro setup systems ... broadcast systems ... which are carefully set for "clean" pro standards use of Rec.709 media, which is still the vast majority of media in use. On a system set with a properly calibrated and profiled Rec.709 monitor, it works perfectly and as expected. As on mine, I don't have the color management option on nor need it.

Because it is built to assume the user has set up the monitors "correctly" for broadcast standards.

The Display Color Management option was added as both Apple implemented their unique view of Rec.709 standards as they were going to their Retina displays, and some very wide-profile displays were coming into use. This option tells Premiere to look at the ICC profile, then adapt what and how it shows images on the internal monitors according to what it sees in those profiles.

Mac users need to use it, as do quite a few PC people these days. (And once out of Premiere on a Mac, Premiere can't help you with Apple's ... unique ... color managment settings.)

Color management experts ... the ones that teach/advise and build the calibration systems used by pro colorists ... lament the unfortunate and notable limitations of ICC profiles in trying to get simple tonal gamma things correct, let alone volumetric color coverage. But it's the best that most of us users can or will choose to afford.

Resolve was built originally as a grading application, and needed to be usable whether the expected deliverable was for broadcast (Rec.709) or either of the two professional P3 profiles, each of which has a very specific color space/gamma/white-point/brightness standard. Plus it was critical that the color space of the camera media be taken into account in ingesting the media.

So for basic operations for colorists, Resolve had to have more color managment settings available to the user.

And now with HDR coming in, with the wide dynamic range (the real difference of HDR) and also often a wider color range, the Premiere Pro developers are naturally adding more controls, such as the media, timeline, and export color space options we now have. I'm looking forward to getting more display options soon. I hope soon ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines