Premiere Pro lagging after a certain amount of footage

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I make videos on youtube at 1080p 60FPS, I've been having this issue were the beginning of my footage plays back very smoothly, but as I get to the end of the footage I'm editing, it gets incredibly laggy, even running at 1/4 quality. The playback is SO bad and I have no idea what is causing it.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB RAM at 3200MHz, and a RTX 2080. I would say that I believe my hard drive is causing the issue, but this is the first time in years that something this bad has happened, so I feel like I can safely rule that out. (3TB at 7200RPM). The drive I use for Premiere is a samsung m.2 NVME.

I really hope that somebody has an explanation or a work around because at this moment I cannot edit AT ALL.

TOPICS
Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro lagging after a certain amount of footage

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I make videos on youtube at 1080p 60FPS, I've been having this issue were the beginning of my footage plays back very smoothly, but as I get to the end of the footage I'm editing, it gets incredibly laggy, even running at 1/4 quality. The playback is SO bad and I have no idea what is causing it.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB RAM at 3200MHz, and a RTX 2080. I would say that I believe my hard drive is causing the issue, but this is the first time in years that something this bad has happened, so I feel like I can safely rule that out. (3TB at 7200RPM). The drive I use for Premiere is a samsung m.2 NVME.

I really hope that somebody has an explanation or a work around because at this moment I cannot edit AT ALL.

TOPICS
Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could be the hard drive.   this may be bad news for you, but EVERY HARD DRIVE WILL FAIL, EVEN SOLID STATE DRIVES.  It's not a question of if, but when.   So the older your drive is, the likelier there may be physical problems.  And as the drive gets full, the performance will diminish.  My understanding is that you should always have at least 10% free space on every drive and 20% on your startup drive.   There are some free utilities available that will measure your hard drive performance.   do some googling.  I think Blackmagic Design has one.   And as your drive gets full, things can get corrupted.  On the mac, diskutility has a first aid feature and I have a third party solution called DiskWarrior.  Don't know if there are equivalents on windows...  but these apps can help repair performance issues.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2020 0
CEnoxxTv LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am almost certain that it is not the hard drive, as it is my primary game
drive as well, but to absolutely confirm I also ran my Samsung magician
drive test, and everything looks pretty good on that end. Obviously I would
like to eventually move everything to SSD but its not currently in the
budget lol. I appreciate your help! Right now my solution has been back
dating it to 14.2, and it has worked amazingly for the time being. I almost
feel as if its a bug with the NVIDIA CUDA playback, but I could be severely
wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0