Premiere pro lagging so bad i cant edit videos

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am lagging so bad on my play back its taken forever to edite videos. I have my memory set to 29 GB set for premiere pro , and have 3 GB left for other applications. My computer spec are AMD Ryzen 4000 3950x with a Asus 2080 supper as a GPU. I am running updated driver for both my CPU and GPU. I am using the GPU accelatrtion for the encoder and i cleared out my unused cache. I change my play back resolution to 1/4 but still hard to edit. Is there somthing that i am messing or is this just how bad premiere pro is at  the moment? I never had any problems editing anything on this rig but i also havent edit anything in months.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere pro lagging so bad i cant edit videos

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am lagging so bad on my play back its taken forever to edite videos. I have my memory set to 29 GB set for premiere pro , and have 3 GB left for other applications. My computer spec are AMD Ryzen 4000 3950x with a Asus 2080 supper as a GPU. I am running updated driver for both my CPU and GPU. I am using the GPU accelatrtion for the encoder and i cleared out my unused cache. I change my play back resolution to 1/4 but still hard to edit. Is there somthing that i am messing or is this just how bad premiere pro is at  the moment? I never had any problems editing anything on this rig but i also havent edit anything in months.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the media you're using on the machine, format/codec, frame-size/rate, what made that media, and what effects are you using?

And what sort of drive is it stored on ... how many on the computer are you using?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The media am using is game recording of a MP4 file at 1920x1080 at 60 fps. Its a 1 TB internal disk drive  that I recored all my streams on. I updated all my driver for my GPU and CPU and did a restart, also premiere is updated too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola buenas tardes, Es muy probable que los driver de tu tarjeta grafica no esten actualizados.
Te sugiero que inicies el programa desde su configuracion inicial (CTRL + ALT + SHIFT  e inicias el programa mientras tienes selecionada dichas teclas) No ovides reiniciar tu pc previamente.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ... that's almost assuredly VFR ... variable frame-rate ... besides being in a long-GOP codec.

Let's start with the VFR ... Premiere, like most pro apps, is really designed to work best with CFR, constant frame rate. It can handle some VFR clips, but not ... all that well. Why?

VFR has a variable number of actual frames per second ... say you're using that 60fps rate, the actual numbers of frames recorded will vary as the app doing the recording sees a need for frames ... so it will run from maybe as few as 56.8fps to as high as 61.2fps, at any one moment through the recording.

Premiere will run with exactly the number of frames per second as set in the sequence settings. So while playing back your clips, it has to choose which frames to not show when there's more than 59.97fps, and it has to create frames where there are less than 59.97fps. On the fly.

This is separate from the other problem ... simply "decoding" long-GOP, which doesn't store a frame for each "frame", but only for each i-frame. And in between those i-frames set between 9-30 or more frames apart, there's only a data set ... a matrix ... of the pixels that 1) have changed since the previous i-frame, 2) will change before the next i-frame, or 3) both.

So for every frame of media, Premiere has to hunt for the proper i-frames and decode/decompress those frames and store to RAM, then go to that matrix and compute the difference between the stored frames and the matrix, and .... create that one frame. Rinse & repeat.

It's a computationally heavy task, totally separate from everything else you may be doing to the clips within Premiere.

Andy has a good video in a couple other threads on playback issues, and it's in a FAQ of this forum FAQ: My Cpu is ... and I recommend viewing it, as he shows how to use the settings now available in Premiere that may help with different gear for getting hardware decoding of H.264 media, as there are new several options in preferences that may help.

For the game media, most of us still recommend converting that to CFR in HandBrake first. In that utility app's Video tab, set the frame-rate to a specific number and check the CFR circle. Then set the compression to near placebo. After figuring it out, you can do mulitple clips and entire folders in batch work say overnight.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0