Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Mac 14.8 wont open - Dual Monitor

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am currently having issues opeing Premiere Pro with a dual screen set up.

Just to explain my hardware set up: iMac 2017 Retina with Adobe Premiere Pro 14.8. I also use a View Sonic 27" dual monitor too. 

• I am having issues opening Premiere Pro into dual screen. When opening Premiere Pro it is showing the holding screen where I am able to see previous projects to open. Once I select a previous project, the clock symbol shows for a long period of time, then it says 'Application is not responding'. I tried then to restart the iMac, still no prevail. 

• Unplugging the dual monitor has helped, however, I first need to restart the iMac and once turned off, I then unplug the dual monitor. It then opens Premiere Pro and the project just fine once restarted by using just the iMac screen.

• Once the iMac has been restarted without the monitor plugged in, I am able to then plug the monitor back in once the project is already open, I am going into preferences and finally into 'Playback' to select the monitor and then it finally works. 

But I don't want to keep unplugging and plugging in. 

Just a couple of extra notes:

• I have uninstalled Premiere Pro and reinstalled.
  • I have also tested if there is an issue within Adobe After Effects. But the program opens just fine. 

I am unsure what is causing this issue, some guidence would be helpful. 

Many thanks,

Tim

Video Editor for Yamaha Music. Adobe Certified Professional in Premiere Pro.
TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similiar problem, but I am using 3 monitors. When I select a project to load, Premiere Pro locks up and I have to force quit.

Restarting Premiere Pro by holding down Option (resetting Preferences) fixes the problem temporarily, but I lose all my custom settings. Premiere will work a time or two, then it will lock up when I try to load a project.

After battling this for a couple of weeks, I discoverd that if I disable my 3rd monitor, everything works great.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Premiere Pro and the Creative Cloud Desktop App but nothing has helped.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 8.53.29 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry, what version of Premiere are you running?  There were issues reported with early versions of premiere 14 with multiple monitors...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you're having issues too, I am actually using High Sierra. This is only because my company have programs that don't work with Big Sur. Must be an issue with Adobe. Especially if After Effects' is responding correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what's causing the issue but you might try an earlier version of Premiere 2020.  There were reports of problems with multiple monitors a few versions back but haven't seen any posted with the latest couple of versions.

As a relatively quick troubleshooting step, try creating a new account with administrative privileges in your system preferences:  users and groups and log out of your present account and into the new one.  this will check to see if some sort of mac preference got corrupted or if another program you've installed might be the issue...

Do you have any other peripherals connected besides the second monitor and keyboard and mouse?  If so, try disconnecting them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro 14.8.0 (Build 39).

I have no other peripherals connected, no plug-ins either.

How do I create a new account with admin privileges? Does it matter that I'm on a corporate account and do not have control of it?

I also reported the problem here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/1/m-p/11731420?page=1#M321436

I tried removing the current version and re-installing an older version but that didn't help.

There have been issues with multiple monitor setups for years, particularly related to the Workspaces. This problem continues today.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your IT department may have issues with creating a new user...  Go to the apple menu:  system preferences:

users and groups.  You'll need to click the lock icon on the lower left and put in your password to make changes.   Click the + sign on the lower left and choose new account:  administrator and fill in the required info.  then you go to the apple menu: log out:  and choose the new account.  

Wondering if there could also be an issue with the resolution of the 2nd monitor.  Might go to system preferences:  displays and tell us what the options are for the 2nd monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...tell us what the options are for the 2nd monitor"

All 3 monitors are set for "Default for display".

I tried changing the resolution on the 3rd monitor to 1080i and 1080p but made no difference.

I also tried using a different 3rd monitor. It was a different brand and a different HDMI cable. Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. It seems to be software issue. Adobe After Effects work's just fine. Same for Lightroom & Photoshop. 

I do have three SSD drives plugged in, nearly every port is connected. Maybe this could be the issue like you pointed out? 

Thanks again,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, I doubt the external drives would make a difference... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Premiere Pro Version 15.1.0 (Build 48) and the problem still exists.

As you pointed out, After Effects, Lightroom and Photoshop all work fine with dual monitors.

Nearly 3 years since I filed a bug report on this.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines