• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro not creating preview / pre-render files anymore?

Engaged ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. So I've used Premiere Pro for a long time and today is the first day I've ever had this problem. That little thin line above my sequence is red and it's not changing, and when I playback everything just stutters. I've never had this problem before. I've read what I can find online and I sort of understand the issues at play, but why for the first time in a couple years am I having this problem? The only thing I can think of is that I point Premiere's 'media cache' to a new directory, which I guess means it has to make new preview files there, but why isn't it doing it automatically at the time of playback like it always had in the past? I've never needed to 'pre-render' a sequence before today.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Premiere Pro has never had automatic preview generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I assumed this would be an easy answer but apparently not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering a section of sequence for playback purposes varies widely by what the media is ... H.264/ long-GOP from DSLR/drone/M4-3 cameras being a chief issue, of course, but it all counts ... the type of media, any effects used, the ability of the system to both move & process data, all that stuff has an effect. If you've got another app working in the background, or just holding on to resources, that would have an effect.

So ... what's your OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM ... your drives in use, what are they and how connected ... and what media are you using, created by what, and what effects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I just don't understand why it's never been a problem before, nothing has changed.

AVCHD from a Canon C-100 dragged and dropped to automatically create a sequence.

No effects

No background apps

Macbook 13" 2012

Mac OS Sierra (again nothing's changed here)

2.9Ghz i7

16gb

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I don't think I have vRam

External SSD 250gb for Cache

But again, none of this has changed, and in fact I have often run very demanding programs in the background with no problems. But all of a sudden Premiere isn't auto generating previews and that bar is just red all the time. It makes no sense??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which preview codec you're using, but I might suggest say changing your preview to Cineform 10-bit YUV or as you're on a Mac, you could go ProRes. Maybe you are using ProRes.

Crack your preferences and project settings for where your previews, media cache and cache database,files are stored.

Close PrPro. Manually delete all previews & cache files.

Reboot.

Start PrPro and see if you can generate previews now.

Btw, is this across several projects including new ones, or only on one project? And are they projects started in your current version or converted from an earlier version?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That little thin line above my sequence is red and it's not changing

You understand it won't turn green automatically, right?  You have to manually initiate the render.  In and Out points can affect what's rendered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always did it automatically in the past  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro has never had automatic preview generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are referring to the pre rendered temp files it creates, previusely generaed by pressing enter (which fills the bar with green color and allow for better, smooth viewing while working, especially with effects)

Go to Sequence--> Render in to out

Of course after creating your in and out points in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having kind of the same problem. i was using cc2015.3 and when taking the canon 7D files to a dslr 1080p 25fps sequence they always appeared in yellow. i switched to cc2019 and now they always appear in red. since i don't want to have to render everything before even starting to work on it i need to know what may be causing this kind of problem... does anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere now requires a bit more hardware than it did four years ago or so. And the bar is a "cautionary" device. How does the playback work?

And what is your hardware there?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thanks for answering.

as far as playback is concerned it plays perfect, it's just a little troublesome to have everything marked red since i can't know to which i have applied effects and to which i haven't.

my computer goes as follow:

intel i5-3330 

asus P8B75-M

ram 12gb

gpu ati radeon 5700

you think that may be the cause ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be better hardware of course. Honestly many of my sequences have red sections and I don't pay attention to them unless playback has trouble.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i hab the same problem for a bit now and i cost a lot of time. i fixed it by changing the renderer in the gneral project setting. i switched to the gpu eccelerated render and it works as before. I think it might have changed the render in an update or something? I went to: file --> project settings ---> general --> renderer = Mercury GPU accelerated version 

I hope this will help.

Kind Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Red line above the timeline where there always used to be a yellow line. The reason the answer below is not correct, is they are assuming warpigs666 and I are speaking about fully rendering the timeline, which of course you have to manually accomplish, and will result in a green line above the timeline. The yellow line used to be an automatic sort of provisional playback situation, and that is what has seemed to have disappeared. If someone has figured out the answer to the question above, please let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it by changing the Render for the Preview to GPu accelerated Version. I went to: file --> project settings ---> general --> renderer = Mercury GPU accelerated version. 

I Hope it helps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines