Highlighted

Premiere Pro not using eGPU to accelerate supported effects

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello experts,

Setup:

• I have a Radeon Vega 64 GPU in a Razer Core X enclosure on a 2019 iMac.
    I am edting 360º footage using all Adobe approved acceleration-supported effects.
  • I have "prefer external GPU" checkbox in get info window for Primere Pro 2020 and Media Encoder 2019.
  • When rendering I am using "Mercury playback engine GPU accelration (Metal)"

Problem:

• When I render out of Premiere/Media Encoder I expect support from the from the eGPU. However,  checking Activity monitor for the GPU history the eGPU is not being engaged.
  • On some screens I even have the message "GPU acceleration needed" 
  • When I scrub I can see a small percentage of activity on the activity monitor for the card.
  • When exporting there is no activity at all. 
  • Tests so far
    I have tested with other software which uses the eGPU perfectly (so the problem is not with the eGPU setup)
  • I have tested using Mac OS Mojave and Catalina, same issue in both (so the problem is not with Mac OS)
  • I have tested in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder (so the problem is not a single piece of software)
  • I have tested scrubbing effects as well as rendering (so it is not a single activity)
  • I tried "Mercury playback engine GPU accelration (Metal)" and "Mercury playback engine GPU accelration (Open CL)" (so it is not a single render engine)

Please advise.

cj

TOPICS
Error or problem, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro not using eGPU to accelerate supported effects

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello experts,

Setup:

• I have a Radeon Vega 64 GPU in a Razer Core X enclosure on a 2019 iMac.
    I am edting 360º footage using all Adobe approved acceleration-supported effects.
  • I have "prefer external GPU" checkbox in get info window for Primere Pro 2020 and Media Encoder 2019.
  • When rendering I am using "Mercury playback engine GPU accelration (Metal)"

Problem:

• When I render out of Premiere/Media Encoder I expect support from the from the eGPU. However,  checking Activity monitor for the GPU history the eGPU is not being engaged.
  • On some screens I even have the message "GPU acceleration needed" 
  • When I scrub I can see a small percentage of activity on the activity monitor for the card.
  • When exporting there is no activity at all. 
  • Tests so far
    I have tested with other software which uses the eGPU perfectly (so the problem is not with the eGPU setup)
  • I have tested using Mac OS Mojave and Catalina, same issue in both (so the problem is not with Mac OS)
  • I have tested in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder (so the problem is not a single piece of software)
  • I have tested scrubbing effects as well as rendering (so it is not a single activity)
  • I tried "Mercury playback engine GPU accelration (Metal)" and "Mercury playback engine GPU accelration (Open CL)" (so it is not a single render engine)

Please advise.

cj

TOPICS
Error or problem, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 12, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which effects are you using on the sequences you've tested?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used:
- VR plane to sphere
- VR projection
- a few Lumetri effects for colour correction

Cj

[personal info deleted]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gosesh - it seems like we have a similar problem. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any responses or solutions welcome. How to get the eGPU to work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2019 1
Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can add a little more color to this discussion, but no answer (I'm interested also).

I notice that when I use metal encoding with PR, my built in discreet processor (Radeon Pro 5500M) is full engaged and the EGPU RX Vega 56 in BlackMagic Pro is practically idle. (see attached).

When I run Geekbench 5 (https://www.geekbench.com/download/mac/), I get the same results they do. That is, when I select to test "metal" performance on the EGPU, I get twice the performance as when I run it on the . build in 5500 graphics.

https://browser.geekbench.com/metal-benchmarks

I notice that there are some old notes around that talk about how to "select preferred graphics" for processing on a mac, but that does not seem to work on on the current OSX version.

egpu.png 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere CC 2019 had no issues w/ my Radeon VII in a Razer eGPU enclosure. I was easily rendering 10-20 min videos in 1080p in less than 10 minutes, even with lots of effects. Premiere CC 2020 and Media Encoder now max out the internal GPU of my MBP (Radeon Pro 560X) and don't touch the eGPU at all. (Yes, I have the "prefer eGPU box" ticked.)  1080p videos now take over an hour to render, even if there's nothing more complex than a key on them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2020 2
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is just failing with EGPU.  Latest MacBook Pro 16, current and only EGPU Apple sells.  Makes no sense that built in egpu works hard and external is idle.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2020 1