• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro playback is lagging even if my Computer is a really good one

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah so my Premiere Pro has such a bad Playback that I can't even edit my videos in there, even if there are no Effects or anything else applied, the playback is so bad that it is just showing me a freeze-frame. But the Audio is working tho. I searched the whole Internet for solutions and now I think that my Premiere Pro cant run on lower settings than what I have. I'm even working with Proxys... so here is my Computer information, if this helps: 

Intel® Core™ i5-9600K 6x 3.7 GHz
Alpenföhn Sella
16 GB DDR4 Crucial 2400 MHz (2x 8 GB)
6 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTXâ„¢ 1060 KFA\u00b2 OC 
ASUS TUF Z370-Plus Gaming II (Chipsatz: Z370 / ATX)
512GB SATA III Apacer Panther AS350 SSD

Thanks for your help, best regards Moritz 🙂

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting in the earlier thread because you made two duplicate posts with different titles.

Part of the reason why your playback is lagging is that the GTX 1060 is a weakling of a GPU these days. The Pascal architecture that it is based on has aged poorly in content creation apps.

Second, you have only 16 GB of RAM, and that it is running below what the CPU's memory controller is capable of. The 9th-Gen Intel CPUs natively support DDR4-2666 RAM; however, your existing RAM is rated only for DDR4-2400 operation.

Third (and this is a significant one), that 9th-Gen i5 is a weakling CPU by current standards. It has only 6 cores and 6 threads - and worse, it does not perform appreciably better than a 6th- or 7th-Gen 4-core/8-thread i7 CPU to justify the increased core count and power consumption.

Fourth, your system does not appear to have a second fast internal disk at all. In fact, the only disk that you have listed is a single SATA SSD, and that it's also used as the OS and programs drive. If that's also the disk that you're using for projects and media, you certainly have a major bottleneck there. The OS and its required housekjeeping tasks eat up huge amounts of available disk I/O throughput on that single disk, leaving you vith very little throughput remaining for your video work.

Finally, by default the integrated Intel UHD Graphics is disabled whenever a discrete GPU is used. Unfortunately, NVDEC playback from the GTX 1060 is still noticeably slower (weaker) than QuickSync playback is from even the integrated Intel UHD Graphics of a dual-core Pentium CPU. And in the event that you have the integrated GPU enabled in your motherboard's BIOS, newer Intel IGP drivers completely broke QuickSync capability when used together with a discrete GPU. And (among official releases) only the very latest version, 14.5, has hardware decoding capability and support from anything other than integrated Intel graphics. If you were using an older version of Premiere Pro, all playback using the discrete GPU would have been entirely on the CPU (no hardware acceleration whatsoever for playback). In fact, you might as well have used only one or the other, but not both, when processing video.

Put them all together, and the result is that you simply have an underpowered PC by current standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I know my PC is not a Beast, but Premiere Pro is even running better on my school PCs. And thoser are even worse than mine.. they have 8GB of RAM, the graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, the Prozessor is a Prozessor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 MHz, 4 Cores, 4 logische(r) Prozessor(en), the Pc is running on just one SSD. Pls tell me what to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Premiere is not even using Proxys and is working better than mine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, your system might have a bottleneck somewhere else. Your PC might have had way too many background processes going on.

After all, your school's computers might be running an older version of Premiere Pro that's now no longer legitimately available anywhere any more. If that's the case, then, newer versions of Premiere Pro are now much more demanding on raw hardware performance than older versions were.

So, you cannot fairly compare the systems directly.

And, if your PC is only running on that single SATA SSD, then there's your bottleneck right there. The SATA interface itself cannot perform simultaneous reads and writes to begin with. And with all of the continuous OS housekeeping going on, you're lucky to have even 60 MB/s worth of total disk I/O throughput, let alone 500 MB/s, remaining.

In other words, get a second internal disk - either a SATA SSD or (better still) an m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thank you but do you think this is the only way to solve this problem? And no computers in my school are running the 2020 version. The thing is I don't know really much about Computer Hardware so could you recommend me an SSD from both categories? Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you match frame the clip and play it in the source monitor, you have the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I dont I can acually view it in full quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does that mean? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your audio hardware settings. If it looks correct, try setting the Default Input to - No Input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's already selected... still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I have to finish this project for a client and still don't know what to do. I need help asap! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

unless I'm missing something, you haven't told us your source properties and sequence settings.  you might try installing an earlier version of Premiere and see if that works better with your hardware...  AFAIK, you can still install premiere 2019...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines