Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Playback Lag (4K)

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, 

In premiere pro my mavic air 2 drone footage shot (HEVC 4:2:0 4k60fps/h.265) lags or freezes significantly when trying to playback the footage a little sped up after a few seconds (press L to double the speed) or with color correction applied. My current setup is as follows (see below) but I have a C drive SSD (550mbs read speed) with the OS/premiere pro software installed and all project files, cache etc are on a Samsung 960 EVO 500gbs NVME drive (2200mbs read/1800 write). I've follow so many tutorials many times to try and fix the premiere pro lag but nothing has worked (Example: https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/premiere-pro-lagging-fixes/)

I tested putting my footage on my C drive SSD and the playback is significantly better and smoother than if the video files were on the NVME drive which doesn't make sense to me as it is quadruple the speed. What is happening here as it should be the other way around. I've tested read and write speeds using crystal disk and they are within spec. Each drive is only about 50% full. The task monitor shows very little activity on either drive about 4% usage and processor about 6% usage with GPU at 50% usage. I've tried to show this issue here: https://youtu.be/3SIF3ciynBk

Win 10 PC w/ Premiere Pro 14.5.0 (build 51) - software up to date

Ryzen 7 1700x at 3.8ghz

32gb Ram

GTX 1660 Super 6gb - drivers up to date

C Drive (OS): Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD (500mbs read/write speed)

D Drive: (Project files & Media Cache): Samsung 960 EVO Nvme 500GB (2200 read/1800 write speed)

E: Storage 3tb HDD

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RjL190365  could give the best answer, that's directly in his/her bailiwick.

4K long-GOP files like this are a problem for data-transfer besides hard on the CPU/subsystems for computational needs. Media cache/cache database files are also something that needs SPEED connections.

So with only three drives, one of them apparently a spinning platter, you have compromises to make.

Even with SSD and Nvme for system/programs and cache drives, I keep projects on another SSD and media on a fourth ... all internal. For the 6-core system I'm currently using. I've got a brand new custom Puget system with a 24-core Ryzen, 128Gb of RAM and 2080Ti sitting here but I need a couple free days to get moved to it.

Even then, I'll be running on mutiple drives.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as playing back that stuff, I honestly don't think it's going to be a throughput issue. I don't know what the bitrate is on your drone footage, but for an h265 file I doubt it's even enough to saturate a regular HDD. That being said, it's h265. It's pretty much the worst codec you can use for editing, and unfortunately a lot of newer consumer products shooting 4k are going to use HEVC precicely because you can fit more quality into a lower bitrate. But it's like asking your computer to unzip a file in real-time as you play it back. I've also always noticed that DJI products have a special secret sauce that makes their h264/5 media especially difficult to decode. I absolutely recommend creating proxies to work with that stuff.

The UI issues seems like something else. You might try rolling back to 14.4 or trying the new version 14.6 to see if that helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Thank you for the reply. 

I am trying everything and noticed this. When I 'preview' the file in the source monitor... it plays fine, at FULL, 1/2, 1/4... but when I drag it into the timeline and try to play it, it doesn't play at all at 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc... it only plays fine at FULL in the timeline. This is with no color correction, no luts... the footage is the same as it was in the source monitor. 

The issue: https://youtu.be/lh30CBExbr8

Why does it work fine on one side and not while playing in the timeline? I need to play it back at 1/2 when I add color correction. 

Any info is appreciate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AC,
Sorry. I agree with Phillip. Drone footage? Transcode or create proxies. It will save you time and trouble in the long run.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still why would it preview fine and then lag in the timeline without any effects applied. There must be a bug somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Intel system the SATA ports are handled by the chipset while the M.2 are handled by the CPU.

Hence a long shot; If the CPU are saturated during de-coding your clips on the M.2 drive the CPU will have fewer clock cycles to handle the data transfers on the M.2 drive while the chipset that connects the SATA drive will handle the data transfer without bigger problems.

So i would look at that, how much does the CPU work when playing back from the SATA drive vs the M.2 drive.

No matter what, it has already been mentioned that the proxie workflow is the way to go with that footage. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AerialCinematics Is it possible that you can use the PM feature in this forum to send me one of those files? Zip before. I am interested in testing it here. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to film the cpu usage in playback but i see the window was not recorded. As stated above... OS is on a SSD and the project files/cache was on a 2nd nvme drive.

When previewing on FULL or 1/2 - it works perfectly. 

CPU is 11 to 15% usage

Ram 18gb/32gb usage

GTX 1660 25% usage

When the clip is in the timeline at FULL it works perfectly (same stats as above). But at 1/2 it drops all the frames and does not play anything. 

CPU is 5% usage

Ram 18gb/32gb usage

GTX 1660 5% usage

When moving the drone clip file to the C: drive ssd instead of the project drive (nvme), it works fine on FULL and 1/2 with no problems, even with effects added. 

So the issue I have is... when playing at 1/2, 1/4 etc when the drone clip is on my faster NVME drive, it drops all the frames. 

Any insight as to why this could be, I would appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the footage and answered you but post my results here as well:

Everything seems to work here. No dropped frames in the Source or in the Timeline if i set it to Full, 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8. My NVMe drive is connected to my motherboards native M.2 slot, iow it is not connected to a PCIe card fitted in a PCIe slot. How are your M.2 connected?

My computer:

HP Z4 G4 Workstation (Bought summer 2020)

CPU: Intel Xeon W-2245 3.90GHz (Launch date Q4,19)

RAM: 64GB (2933MHz)

Graphic: Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) (Bought summer 2016)

Nvidia driver: 457.30 Studio Driver

Screen: One display @2560x1440 @60Hz

My results:

-- Samsung 4TB 850 EVO SATA SSD - Source playback --
CPU is 4% to 7% usage
Ram 13.6gb/64gb usage
Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 12GB VRAM 34% usage

-- Samsung 4TB 850 EVO SATA SSD - Timeline playback --
CPU is 5% to 7% usage
Ram 13.0gb/64gb usage
Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 12GB VRAM 34% usage

-----------------------------------------

-- Corsair Force MP510 4TB NVMe - Source playback --
CPU is 4% to 5% usage
Ram 13.1gb/64gb usage
Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 12GB VRAM 33% usage

-- Corsair Force MP510 4TB NVMe - Timeline playback --
CPU is 5% to 6% usage
Ram 13.2gb/64gb usage
Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 12GB VRAM 33% usage

I have used the default settings in the Preferences as well. (See the attached image)

So i don´t really know why you see what you see and agree that it is very odd. If i guess it can be two or three factors that make the difference. My CPU is from Q4 2019 while yours are from Q1 2017. Almost three years difference that in the world of computers can be huge. And generally, Intel seems to score best over AMD in real life situations.

The second component is the graphichs card. My is from Q3 2016 and yours is from Q1 2019 so yours are newer but mine has better overall specs, faster memory, more CUDA cores, etc. Since i have the graphic card do the de-coding of the footage that may explain the difference, or not.

As a test, go to Edit > Preferences > Media and un-check "H.264/HEVC hardware accelerated decoding (requires restart)" and restart Premiere Pro and try again.

But all of the abowe may not be the cause at all. If it were you should see the opposite, iow dropped frame with Full resolution and no dropped frames a 1/2 or lower resolution.

I would go to Adobe video & audio apps (uservoice.com) and log in to file a bug report so the Adobe tech team get it. The more detail you give there, the better. 

Default.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding are not the same. That being said there are certain flavors of H.264 that the GPU cannot encode and decode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My Samsung 960 NVME drive is connected to the 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3) port on my Asrock Killer SLI AC motherboard. The drive runs at 2700mbs Read and 1800 Write speed when testing using CrystalMark. I've wasted alot of time trying to figure it out... doesnt make sense. 

To work around the issue... I've just copied over the drone files to my C: drive and have zero issues. It works flawlessly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines