Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro subtitles : font panel nowhere to be seen

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm trying to change the font of my subtitles in Premiere Pro and that option is nowhere to be found (screenshot attached). I can't find "opacity" either, although both are shown in online tutorials.

Have you got any idea? I'm a absolute beginner with that software and I can't seem to find an answer on the Internet. They say there is an "option" button in the subtitles panel but there isn't.
Please help me!!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may depend on the type of CC you are doing. Not all have font options. I think CEA-608/708 are preset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer!

I'm using "Adobe for teams" with an all-inclusive package "All Creative Cloud" (20 softwares).

What type of CC would I need to have font options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant Closed Caption for CC, not creative cloud, I should have caught that :). There are CEA-608/708 or teletext, open subtitling, etc. when adding captions. some are locked some are flexible (fonts, etc.). I think CEA are locked and then are "interpreted" but the video service (broadcast, online, etc.). Not 100% but it has been my experience.Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.12.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spider is correct. Your caption stream is closed caption 608. The caption font/style can be selected by the end user, so you have no choices.

Use Open Captions, and you will have the choices you want. However, not all fonts are supported.

What is your end use?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to both of you!
The end use is a video for social media (FB, TW, IN).

I'll give Open Captions a try 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As they say, "The devil is in the details...."

Open Captions were designed to be "burned in" and not turned on or off. You can export them as a caption file, but that doesn't mean that the playback platorm (Youtube, Vimeo, etc) will respect your choices.

Different playback platforms may recommend different caption file types. And any styling (font style, position on screen) you add in PR may not be exported, or if exported may not be read correctly by the particular playback platform, and/or the playback platform may allow the user to change any of it (the font you so carefully selelcted) in ways you can't predict. So test your workflow all the way through before you get too far.

A third party tool, such as the free SubtitleEdit, may be useful for converting one file type to another.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for your explanations.

I was not aware my editorial choices might not be respected by the end platforms. It is actually kind of appalling...

I will do as you suggest and test my workflow all the way through - and have a glance at SubtitleEdit.

Thanks a lot for your time, have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines