Premiere Pro v14.7 INCREDIBLY SLOW. Almost UNUSABLE

Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I understand I'm on an older computer. I have a mid 2015 MacBook Pro. But still, it's only 5 years old, it has 16gb RAM, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card. I'm not editing anything crazy. 4K on certain things. Definitely no 6K or 8K. I mainly edit 1080p since my output is web for the most part. I have had consistent issues with Premiere on this computer and it should be more than capable of handling what I'm throwing at it. After Effects works fine. Photoshop is a little laggy but usable. I don't expect M1 speeds. But, after udating to Big Sur, Premiere has basically become unusable. Currently, I am trying to export a 720 to 1080 upres. Sure, I expect a 1.7gb encode would take a bit on my system. Not 12 and a half hours. This video is only 22 minutes long. I have never had issues THIS bad before. I'm not sure if it's a Big Sur problem or a Premiere problem but it seems like it's a Premiere problem. Given I have had issues using it basically since I've had it. Which is years. But here lately it as gotten consistantly worse. 

I host a podcast and am trying to export my latest epsiode. But, I can't because everytime I go to encode it within Premiere, it gets about 10 minutes in and completely crashes my entire system, restarting it. It's about 6gb and I understand, that will take some time. Everytime I do it it usually takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours to encode. But for some reason with this particular file it doesn't want to do it. I have created a new project, copied the sequence over and it still crashes my system. I have had to put the project in After Effects and export it through that just to keep it from not crashing. Which clearly seems to me like a Premiere problem and not my computer. I only have issues with Premiere. 

I also have issues editing videos for my job. Even simple titles with a jpeg completely bog down my computer. I can edit and render a 4K After Effects composition with no problem. Why can't Premiere handle my simple tasks? 

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Export, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro v14.7 INCREDIBLY SLOW. Almost UNUSABLE

Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I understand I'm on an older computer. I have a mid 2015 MacBook Pro. But still, it's only 5 years old, it has 16gb RAM, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card. I'm not editing anything crazy. 4K on certain things. Definitely no 6K or 8K. I mainly edit 1080p since my output is web for the most part. I have had consistent issues with Premiere on this computer and it should be more than capable of handling what I'm throwing at it. After Effects works fine. Photoshop is a little laggy but usable. I don't expect M1 speeds. But, after udating to Big Sur, Premiere has basically become unusable. Currently, I am trying to export a 720 to 1080 upres. Sure, I expect a 1.7gb encode would take a bit on my system. Not 12 and a half hours. This video is only 22 minutes long. I have never had issues THIS bad before. I'm not sure if it's a Big Sur problem or a Premiere problem but it seems like it's a Premiere problem. Given I have had issues using it basically since I've had it. Which is years. But here lately it as gotten consistantly worse. 

I host a podcast and am trying to export my latest epsiode. But, I can't because everytime I go to encode it within Premiere, it gets about 10 minutes in and completely crashes my entire system, restarting it. It's about 6gb and I understand, that will take some time. Everytime I do it it usually takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours to encode. But for some reason with this particular file it doesn't want to do it. I have created a new project, copied the sequence over and it still crashes my system. I have had to put the project in After Effects and export it through that just to keep it from not crashing. Which clearly seems to me like a Premiere problem and not my computer. I only have issues with Premiere. 

I also have issues editing videos for my job. Even simple titles with a jpeg completely bog down my computer. I can edit and render a 4K After Effects composition with no problem. Why can't Premiere handle my simple tasks? 

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Export, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 03, 2021 0

Have something to add?