Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro v14.8.0 timeline renders are crashing my entire system

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my PC build:

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D (Intel LGA1200/Z490/ATX/3xM.2/Dual Thunderbolt 3/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel WiFi 6/Direct 12 Phase Digital Power/Intel 2.5G LAN/Motherboard)

CPUIntel - Core i9-10900K 10thGeneration 10-core - 20-Thread - 3.7 GHz (5.3 GHzTurbo) Socket LGA1200

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition Graphics Card (900-1G180-2515-000)

HARD DRIVE: Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology, Black/Red

SECOND HARD DRIVE: (where I set my caches to render😞 Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology, Black/Red

EXTERNAL DRIVE: (where I store my project and media😞 HFSJ formatted Glyph Atom Raid SSD 4TB which I access through MacDrive 10

Premiere Pro v 14.8.0 (build 39)

I've recently started having issue with rendering my Premiere Pro sequences in the timeline (1080p Apple ProRes 422).  The sequence is about 18 minutes and isn't insanely complex.  There are some nested sequences, but it's not heavy on fx.  I can sometimes fully render the sequence, but most of the time Premeire will freeze at certain points in the render and then my whole system will freeze up.  I can't even force quit Premiere through task manager.  Eventually Windows Explorer freezes up and I have to hard reboot.  I'll return to the project after reboot, and I might get a little bit further in the render, but then it happens again.  This is not occurring at a specific point in the timeline or at unique piece of media/clip, the freeze/crashes are completely random.  After so many hard reboots, my external Glyph drive with the media (not the renders) becomes corrupt and I have to hook it up to my mac to get it "healthy" again.  Then I circle back to my PC and start the merry-go-round all over.  This seems very unsteady and is very concerning that this may corrupt my whole system.  

Things I've tried include: 

1. I've dumped caches.
  2. I've created a new project.
  3. I have rendered five minute sections at a time, so I can save in between.  This will work for a few segements, then it will freeze up again.  Once I do the merry-go-round, that segement it froze at will render, but then a few segments down the line it will freeze again.
  4. I have changed the Video Rendering and Playback to Software Only from (GPU), but the results are the same.

Any advice?

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so you're working with a macformatted drive on a windows machine?  maybe that's at least part of the problem.  I work on macformatted drives on a windows machine all the time using paragons hfs for windows with the occasional glitch but nothing like what you describe.  

https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/hfs-windows/

Maybe you should try copying your media over to a windows formatted drive...  certainly worth a shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange thing is, I worked for months on this same drive without this issue.  It makes me think it's something to do with the length of my timeline or the nested sequences.  Plus, I'm rendering to my second internal drive, so the caches are actually going there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

could be, but drives do fail and the fact that you keep having to "fix" it on the mac, suggests that there's something going wrong with either windows or the drive.   How much empty space do you have on the drive?  You should have a minimum of 10% free space on all drives (and 20% on your startup drive) and more free space is probably better.  I hope you have your media backed up and if not, I'd back it up to a windows formatted drive...  you might try exfat which is supposedly cross-platform but my experience with it has not been perfect...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines