Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro Vbr 1 pass

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

In the PR Pro beta 14.2. When exporting using VBR 1 pass the slider for maximum bitrate is missing now. WHY #1? Only TARGET bitrate slider is there. Does this have something to do with the new hardware encoding? If I choose vbr 2 pass, max bitrate slider is there but I can software encode only with vbr 2 pass. WHY #2? Thanks {excited about this new release btw]

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 ... that is a limitation of the hardware accelerated encoding process at this time.

#2 ... because no other app can do accelerated hardware encoding in 2-pass encoding either. I don't think that is possible.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. Maybe you can help once more.

Does that mean that a hardware encode set at VBR 1 pass say.. 24... is actually a CBR of 24? Or is it still VBR with unlimited max bitrate? Will this cofiguration change after the beta? I am slightly confused. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14.2 is not beta anymore: went  live 2 weeks ago.

Make a test export and check the file with Mediainfo: then you will know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@seymourgaming

It's maybe more appropriately defined as VBR with an undefined max bitrate. What the max bitrate is at any given time I'm guessing is determined by the hardware processes themselves, but I have absolutely no idea on the engineering behind that.

Simply put, it's still very much VBR, just without the ability to define a maximum on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Very helpful. I realized the test vids I used were not super motion heavy so I was concerned about stuttering etc. in the future. A "hardware set max bitrate" is great in my book, I just was not sure if that was the case. I am so eager because hardware encoding is a life changing gift from Adobe, For example, a video that would take 1 hour to sofware encode now takes less than 15 MINUTES! With an RTX 2080super, an i7 9700,  and 32 GB of ddr4 to a dedicated SSD.

I will bother you no more. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just exported 2 video files of a 3 hour 40 minute meeting.  One I used CBR and the other I used VBR 1 pass of the same bitrate and both files came out the exact same size with the exact same artifacting on cross dissolves.  This was not the case with the former version where I could choose a max bit rate.  So I'm currently operating on the assumption that VBR 1 pass does literally nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere cross dissolve is not all that great.

Might want to try this one for free:

Impact dissolve - PremierePro.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should clarify.  The cross dissolves were not done in Premiere.  I am taking an uncompressed recording from a switcher (DNxHD), and only doing small edits in Premiere, then exporting through Media Encoder.  We film a lot of these long meetings so I am experimenting with bitrates for the best results with the smallest files that will stream well and take up less server space.  So this is only about quality of the compression, and the lack of quality is most visible in cross dissolve artifacting.  Trying again with "Max render quality" checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Problem and There is no solution For that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines