Highlighted

Premiere Pro video audio not working

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a video project I've had on hand that I wanted to give the professional touch to, so I'm presently utilizing the trial period of Premiere Pro before choosing if I should purchase the full program. However, while trying to add videos with audio to the prject, they have no audio. They play fine in the preview window but if I try to import it to the timeline it drops the audio track and I cannot add it seperately. 
I've cleared the data cache twice and still the same thing happens, I cannot bring the audio with the video. I would like to know why this isn't working beacuse Adobe has always to me seemed higher quality editing tools on the market. But the fact even bog standard Windows Movie Maker never has this issue and Adobe wants $25 a month for Premiere to not bring video and audio together automatically? Not a great way to entice a potential customer.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R_Neil_Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

Typically this is because you don't have the Source target set. To add media to a timeline, you need at least one video track and one audio track target set ... or you're telling Premiere to not add the audio or video, whichever is the track type you've not targeted.

See the below image ... set targets are the blue boxes. If you have gray ones, they're not targeted.

Neil

Source Patching.PNG

Topics

Audio, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro video audio not working

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a video project I've had on hand that I wanted to give the professional touch to, so I'm presently utilizing the trial period of Premiere Pro before choosing if I should purchase the full program. However, while trying to add videos with audio to the prject, they have no audio. They play fine in the preview window but if I try to import it to the timeline it drops the audio track and I cannot add it seperately. 
I've cleared the data cache twice and still the same thing happens, I cannot bring the audio with the video. I would like to know why this isn't working beacuse Adobe has always to me seemed higher quality editing tools on the market. But the fact even bog standard Windows Movie Maker never has this issue and Adobe wants $25 a month for Premiere to not bring video and audio together automatically? Not a great way to entice a potential customer.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R_Neil_Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

Typically this is because you don't have the Source target set. To add media to a timeline, you need at least one video track and one audio track target set ... or you're telling Premiere to not add the audio or video, whichever is the track type you've not targeted.

See the below image ... set targets are the blue boxes. If you have gray ones, they're not targeted.

Neil

Source Patching.PNG

Topics

Audio, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Source Patching.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it, thank you. I'm still a little irritated all the research I did before on this problem, none of them even mentioned the fact you have to manually activate each channel first. But still, this fixed that issue so I am grateful for the assistance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a ton of things like that in all these complex video-post apps. Learning by yourself (as I have had to do, being a one-man shop in a small town) means you find every flipping one. Sigh.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a clip in the source monitor first then the tracks get automatically source patched.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bardic,
Where did you look for info because this is something that should be taught to you first thing? You Tube?

If you are a dragger: Think of it as "Select or load into Source Monitor, Target the Timeline, then Drag, Drop." Premiere Pro does not know which track you intend to edit it to so you have to tell it so. Not everyone drags drops, as a faster way to edit is with keyboard shortcuts so you see why that is a necessity.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines