• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro will not stop playback

Enthusiast ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro has been working fine... I just changed Preferences/Timeline to allow for a scrolling timeline on playback. After that, I started playback and observed the expected scrolling timeline... however, I cannot stop playback now. My last proj save is about 5 minutes ago... probably okay if I kill the process but would like to avoid that... it's a lengthy sequence so the alternative is to wait like an hour LoL .

Note, I enabled scrolling playback because paging playback was not working... it is usually fine. I'm thinking my long sequence is the problem. I tend to see issues when I get into multi-hour sequences that I sometimes use for reviewing footage into a rough cut.

Any thoughts on how to interrupt this playback? I tried Control-Break but no dice... it appears the Premiere UI is stuck so looks like I won't be able to interrupt it with a UI control or space bar.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Try this:

enable hardware acc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like this is a known issue, I'll file a bug...

Mod Note: For action on this bug, please upvote and make further comments on this bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't changed any preferences like you did, but I'm experiencing the same thing.

Hitting pause doesn't work, Hitting space bar doesn't work. I will note that playback does stop about 50% of the time, the other 50% will keep playing despite trying to stop it.

By accident, I found out I could stop playback by manually saving the project (file-save) with my mouse and it stops. Hope that helps. Not ideal, but until the bug is fixed, it's at least a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

studioflux  wrote

I hadn't changed any preferences like you did, but I'm experiencing the same thing.

Hitting pause doesn't work, Hitting space bar doesn't work. I will note that playback does stop about 50% of the time, the other 50% will keep playing despite trying to stop it.

By accident, I found out I could stop playback by manually saving the project (file-save) with my mouse and it stops. Hope that helps. Not ideal, but until the bug is fixed, it's at least a work around.

In my case the entire UI was stuck, mouse could not reach menus or anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Frustrating.  Same problem. Seems to be since latest update.

Shuttle works properly in Composite Monitor mode - But,the shuttle looses focus, and will not properly control the playback most of the time while in Multi-Camera Mode.

Tried all the Knowledge Base work-a-rounds (Screen Resolution and turn smooth scrolling off).  Nothing Works 

PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix for me was 2 things. (For context: I edit on 3 4K screens on PC) and the problem seems to be cause by one of two things. It won't happen if I edit on only one screen PLUS I have to change my monitor settings to 100% scale. I'm referring to the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" line below. Normally I'd have it at 150% so the icons are not so small. I hope that helps!

My quick fix:

Edit on only one monitor

Edit at 100% monitor scale size (PC) - I'm referring to the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" line below.

Turn off smooth scroll (changed to page scroll)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't happen if I edit on only one screen PLUS I have to change my monitor settings to 100% scale.

It happens to me under exactly those conditions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this bug for such a long time. It's absolutely ridiculous, it's STILL happening on CC 2018 with multicam sequences. I have installed everything on SSDs & have very good specs. i7 4790k, 1080ti, 32gb ram, samsung 850s etc. What's wrong with Windows+Premiere? Why does it run so poorly?

My macbook can handle this flawlessly on Final Cut. Embarassing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with Windows+Premiere? Why does it run so poorly?

Generally, it doesn't.  I do see more "Mac issues" in the forums than "Windows issues".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just dragged an audio clip into the timeline and it froze then crashed. Quality product.

Mod note: OT commentary removed. Upvote and make comments on the bug here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not normal.  You can try some troubleshooting.  (Mac's are pricey, and don't perform as well.  So getting what you have working will be worth the time.)

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't true. FCP on macos completely destroys Premiere in performance, even on my high end PC. I own a 15" 2017 macbook pro.

Also, no troubleshooting has worked with this bug. This problem just started happening to me outside of multicamera now too. Great.

The only temporary solution I think I've found is by minimising the audio layers to make them small - it seems to make the freezes slightly shorter and less often. But not by much. But it's very frustrating not being able to see the full waveform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an solution... this is a painful issue when it arises... fortunately I have not seen it often... and I use a lot of multicam from a DSLR. When looking above on this page of posts, I don't see the bug report link... don't forget folks, if you want an issue to have visibility right to the team, file a bug with good steps... if you have a small sample project that reproduces the issue that can be gold for the team.

Here is the link...

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

...even though Adobe sometimes sees posts on this forum, it's not a hard and fast rule that every issue will be picked up and auto-filed into a bug... that's why filing a bug is important. And you can file multiple bugs for the same issue if you end up finding more information... if I make one report but find out something new, or see a new pattern, I'll file the same bug again with the new info citing it's a duplicate in the new report (which is not required, just what I do). I keep text files for open issues so I don't have to rewrite the same info... just copy/paste and add new details. The more diag info Adobe has the greater chance your issue has of making on the radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCP on macos completely destroys Premiere in performance

You're comparing different software there, not different operating systems.  Below you will find a comparison of the same software of both Mac and Windows.  The upshot is that the Windows machine performed 3x better at 1/2 the cost.

$2,000 Custom PC vs $4,000 Mac Pro - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here in 2018 lol

and no reply from Adobe.

Mod note: Adobe devs do not repond on this user to user forum. Upvote and make comments on the bug here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also encountering this issue. I haven't done multi-cam editing in a while, so only noticed today that when I press spacebar (play), Premiere Pro 13.0 just gets "stuck" in playback mode with no way of stopping it, except to end the process in Task Manager.

I've turned smooth scroll off for now, and that does seem to help, though I see there are some here who have the option on 'off' and still get the issue.

Just thought I'd throw my voice in here, hoping it gets some love from the devs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over two years later, newest Adobe annual update, and this is still an issue in multicam sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just wanted to say it still happens in 2020...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running latest 14.2.0 build 47. Multicam arranged from 2 Sony a6500 at h.264 1080p50fps clips in 25fps timeline. Project files and media pulling from externa LaCie HDD. Playback at 1/2 speed, high quality playback turned off.

STILL HAPPENS!

Premiere running on Dell XPS15 without external monitor
Intel 7700HQ base 2.8GHz
16GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1050 8gb
Cuda Enabled and also Hardware acceleration enabled, latest drivers and windows updates installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

enable hardware acc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was not a solution for me. Very Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have improved it a small bit for me, but similar issues still occur. Are there any other recommended solutions? Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

October 17, 2020 - still happening.  First time.  I didn't make any changes to preferences; it just started all of a sudden during editing. Rebooted, turned off PC then restarted - didn't help.  Cleared caches - didn't help.  HEEEELLLLPPPPP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Trying to get Premiere to stop playing back when i hit stop....

Premiere Pro

14.6.0 (Build 51)

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Big Sur 11.0.1

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

Memory: 32 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. Just wanted to share my experience.

I had the same issue, a fairly complex sequence with many effects an premiere wouldn't stop playing for over a minute each time! (Max. frustrating when you automatically hit the Spacebar after doing sth. to look at it).

Parts of the sequence worked fine in another project... so i tried to recreate the problem.

Turns out: I had an audio track (musicvideo) underneath the whole sequence, that i had locked... you know, cutting the video without accidentally moving the music...
As soon as i unlocked the audio track, premiere would play the smoothly as—

Maybe that helps some of you... these bugs still drive me crazy in a "professional" program i pay for every month...

Mod note: Edited to remove profanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines