• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro will not stop playback

Enthusiast ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro has been working fine... I just changed Preferences/Timeline to allow for a scrolling timeline on playback. After that, I started playback and observed the expected scrolling timeline... however, I cannot stop playback now. My last proj save is about 5 minutes ago... probably okay if I kill the process but would like to avoid that... it's a lengthy sequence so the alternative is to wait like an hour LoL .

Note, I enabled scrolling playback because paging playback was not working... it is usually fine. I'm thinking my long sequence is the problem. I tend to see issues when I get into multi-hour sequences that I sometimes use for reviewing footage into a rough cut.

Any thoughts on how to interrupt this playback? I tried Control-Break but no dice... it appears the Premiere UI is stuck so looks like I won't be able to interrupt it with a UI control or space bar.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Try this:

enable hardware acc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this idea.  I will try it.  Hopefully, it will be a useable work-around.

I had another thought--haven't tried it yet:   Frequently, running and mp4 or mov files through Handbrake can clean up various random appearing glitchy timing and sync issues.  Is it possible that one or more of the clip sources needs "cleaning"?

-Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that seems to have helped me.... WHY IS THAT EVEN A BUGG. In 2022 they still can't fix that?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This starting happening to me to, on Widows 10 with v14.7.  No multicam, but it's a long sequence with a lot of layers.  I adjusted the work area to be just the section I was working on instead of the whole timeline and it seems to have stopped it, at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a long time Premiere Pro user and I keep having this problem. I'm currently on Windows but have had the problem on Mac for 8+ years.

The hardware is more than adequate.

I have tried all the recommended solutions, sometimes with success sometimes without.

• Lock/unlock audio layers
  • Delete all caches
  • Renamed config folder to have Premiere create new ones
  • Used only one display
  • Deactivate hardware acceleration de-/encoding
  • Reset settings during start-up of Premiere (ALT+SHIFT on Windows or OPT+SHIFT on Mac during start-up)

Even done even the pram/vram voodoo non-sense on MacOS 😉 

My current best solution that works most often is the following:

• Remove all time reversed clips.

Even though it solved my current problem, it's time for me to switch to DaVinci Resolve. I can't afford to use a non-functional software just before a deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.

When I ran my imported clips through Handbrake and then reimported them, things seemed to work a lot better.

That implies that it was some kind of timecode hell or something like that.  I'm no video jock, but that solved my problem

-eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't be sure, but I think for me the solution was removing my 2nd display (a large Mac Monitor), because my 2015 MacBookPro could not redraw the screen fast enough.  As soon as I unplugged the 2nd display and everything was confined to my laptop screen, I could start and stop playback using the spacebar.  With that 2nd display plugged in, nada.  Playback continues until it runs out of sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still happening November 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's crazy that this still happens in 2023... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ashley,

I am so sorry that some of you are still experiencing this bug in current versions. Thanks to everyone who wrote helpful posts and commentary. Unfortunately, the Premiere Pro team does not respond in this user-to-user forum, but they do read the Bug Reports and Ideas forums. Please address them there.

For action on this bug, please upvote and make further comments on this bug report. That would be the best thing we can do as a community. As a community manager here, I will also advocate for the issue. My apologies once more if you are affected by this issue.

This thread is locked.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines