Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro wont play sound through headphones

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

im having trouble getting premiere to play any kind of audio through a pair of regular earphones plugged into the earphone jack on the computer. every other program will play sound through the earphones which makes me think its not the computer or the earphones but a setting problem on premiere. is there something i need to change so that i can get it playing through some ear buds?

TOPICS
Audio , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Have you gone to the application Preferences and checked Audio Hardware settings? Check what Default Output is set to! You can get there by going to

Mac: Premiere Pro (menu) -> Preferences -> Audio Hardware

Windows: Edit (menu) -> Preferences -> Audio Hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

This should be fixed in 14.1. If it is not fixed in 14.1 for you, please let me know and I'll let the team know.

For those that have filed a bug or feature request for the last several years, I wanted to thank you. It's been quite a grind, but as a community, we finally got it done.

Sometimes it's those long, hard fought battles that are the most satisfying when we finally prevail!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you gone to the application Preferences and checked Audio Hardware settings? Check what Default Output is set to! You can get there by going to

Mac: Premiere Pro (menu) -> Preferences -> Audio Hardware

Windows: Edit (menu) -> Preferences -> Audio Hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and the fact that i had to plug them into the speaker jack instead of the jack on the front of the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that, and have had to do that every freakin time I go between one or the other. An you have provided a solution, but it is a solution to a problem that has no reason to exists. Also, prior to the 2015 update this wasn't even a problem because programmers used common sense: Audio Hardware Changes in Premiere Pro CC2015

There is apparently a petition going on hoping to fix this issue (it's actually a bug request which Adobe staff claims is the only way to get Adobe to listen): Fix the Default audio output for iMac Pro – Adobe video & audio apps I have no idea if these things work but might be worth lending your voice to.

it's just a real poor job of design and forethought here folks, and a waste of time for users having to go into and out of menus every single time they put in an audio jack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched from my editing laptop to my editing desktop after figuring out how to record live to my timeline with a voice over through my mic.  Plugged in my headphones and everything on my computer (all sounds)  is playing through my headphones just fine except, you guessed it, Premiere Pro.  Honest to God I spend more time on workarounds and fixes for problems with this POS program.  Not a day goes by when I don't have one issue or another.  They need to streamline this bloated piece of crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who have a similar problem, but audio preferences labels their headset and potentially their microphone as (not working) try rebooting premiere a couple times, maybe unplug and re plug your headset, this seemed to work fine for me but if you have any other troubles ask adobe support for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn’t have to do this before I used premiere pro for a few years now but recently with my new Mac I have to manually select headphones in preferences if I want to listen to my work without the whole room hearing and then if I don’t have them plugged in it says there’s an error with the audio output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! I have the exact same problem. I used to work with Premiere pro & After effects on a windows and on a macbook ans I had no issue like this one. I bought a macbook pro 2 weeks ago and I struggle with this problem. I work in an open space and my co-worker regularly come to see my work, so it's annoying if I have to change the setting every time I want to let people listen or not... 

I hope you found a solution ! If anyone can help, thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing that, just make sure adobe premiere pro is open then do the following,

right click on the volume " icon " in windows, click " open volume mixer "

you will find premiere icon there, just make sure the volume is not MUTED.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, sir! You are a genius - you finally solved my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have no idea how helpful you've been today my friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Blacksmith01, that was brilliant! Solved my Premiere Pro audio issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... Big Time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I faced this problem for months!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue with a pair of bluetooth headphones. They work fine with everything except Premiere. I have found that if I set the Audio Input to "No Input", that can solve the problem. Might be specific to my headphones (which do have a built-in mic) but this fix could be useful to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the immediate fix to get sound to Airpods while using Premiere Pro 2020 on a 2016 MacBook Pro.

Cheers brandonp48686543!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man!!! Thank you so much! How annoying is this problem! I'm praying Adobe figures this out. It really is such a silly problem. NO reason I have to change anything in the program if my laptop audio is going to my headphones! Thanks again for telling me about the "no input" works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this was the true SOLUTION to this annoying problem. Defineately a bug that needs fixed! Here we are in Nov 2020 and IT'S STILL NOT FIXED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are genius!!! thanks man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mate!! So I have the Seinhesser PXC550 noise cancelling headphones and the annoying this is it has this feature that when the microphone is on it adapts the background noise from the outside world which is annoying at the best of times. Everytime I had them working with Premier Pro it kept doing it (thinking I'm using them as a microphone) so I couln't hear my audio clearly as I should from the video and heard all the background noise as well. You have finally fixed my problem! Cheers mate!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post. Just encourted this problem and now it's resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem in Lightroom - slideshow music wont play though the headphones jack - cant see anywhere to alter prefrences - can you help? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in 14.1. If it is not fixed in 14.1 for you, please let me know and I'll let the team know.

For those that have filed a bug or feature request for the last several years, I wanted to thank you. It's been quite a grind, but as a community, we finally got it done.

Sometimes it's those long, hard fought battles that are the most satisfying when we finally prevail!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 14.1 and I still have to manually select my headphones if I want to use them. The computer is a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines