• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Projects take forever to open on NAS when switching computers.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe community,

We are a small post production house and recently got our hands on the QNAP NAS TVSx72XT 6x 10tb on Raid 5 with a 1tb SSD MV.2 970 cache. 

We are working on a big project including 20-40 complex dynamic link comps inside each premiere timeline.
We have blazing fast transfer speeds and super snappy timelines with a 10GB/s connection on all machines. 

However,
Every time an editor needs to open up a project from another editor we are looking at opening times of up to 2-3 hours, sometimes premiere crashes in the process "corrupting" the project with it.

We have tried multiple setups;
Media Cache & Scratch Disk on Internal MV.2 for all editors.
Media Cache & Scratch Disk on the NAS (Deleting Media Cache for all editors before)
Media Cache & Scratch Disk split between NAS & Internal SSDs.

But we still ran into the same issue.

The only way we were able to get the projects files back up and running was to collect all media via project manager from the original editors PC.
Taking up to 4 hours to collect the footage.

(We did use team projects for cutting but sadly dynamic link is not supported making it useless for our workflow)

Can anyone help us out of misery?

We are running Premiere 14.5.0. on all machines.

Thank you so much for help,
Dennis 

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Hey Neil,

Thanks again for taking your time with us.

We have fixed the issue by opening each project on the original editors PC (Opening time up 3 hours)
Then using project manager to collect all the files.

Importing the project manager project files into Productions has been quick and easy.

Now that we have migrated to Premiere Productions everything runs smooth and switching projects is a fraction of a second.

Thank you so much for all your effort.

Best,
Dennis 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked as an editor from my share of servers but let me quickly say that I don't have direct experience with this setup. It obviously doesn't sound right, but let me ask a couple questions even if that helps someone else more network-savvy if they see this.

Are the project files stored locally? I could see that causing a big issue with load times as it may see it as a drive letter change. (I believe in any situation I've been in when working from a server the media cache was local, so I don't necessarily think that's an issue, but again--I yield to the more server-savvy)

I'm also curious about whether or not you have a project without the dynamic linking that you could test to see if that works any better. Any production company or agency I've been at where multiple people are sharing a project has not used dynamic linking outside of to send a shot to AE, but after that the link is broken. It's convenient, but it's an extra layer of stuff to go wrong. It's not my place to change your workflow, that's just what I've seen and worked with as an editor in team/server environements.

The other thing I'm curious about is if you've tried a different version of Premiere, like maybe rolling back to 14.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Phillip,
Thank you so much for taking your time with me!

Answers in red below;

Are the project files stored locally?
No, the project files, footage, assets, music, sfx, after effect project files are all on the server.
Also all our machine have the NAS mounted to the driver letter Q:// to make it easier to relocate footage.

I've been in when working from a server the media cache was local, so I don't necessarily think that's an issue,
Yeah, since putting the media cache on the server didn't help i figured that wouldnt be the issue.

...you have a project without the dynamic linking that you could test to see if that works any better.
We have had similar issues with projects that do not have any dynamic linking, however the margin of error was 1 out of 6 projects. Meaning out of 6 projects without dynamic linking, only 1 had the issue of not being able to open.

It's not my place to change your workflow, that's just what I've seen and worked with as an editor in team/server environements.
Sadly, for this project this was the only feasible way to still do quick changes on all our VFX shots.

about is if you've tried a different version of Premiere, like maybe rolling back to 14.4?
We have experienced same issues on 14.4, thats why we upgraded to 14.5 hoping it would fix the problems

Thanks again for your time,
Dennis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it. I hope we have some server nerds on here that can chime in. Unfortunately I'm usually just an editor on the other side of this kind of thing.

There's a guy on the r/editors subreddit named Bob Zelin that I think sets these kind of things up for a living. I'm sure he's on other forums as well (I don't know about this one). If there was a way to get his eyes on the issue he'd probably have a lot more to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't Team Projects you needed to adopt, but the Productions workflow. I've worked extensively with both.

TP is great for linking people for remote work, but you're still working within a single massive database/cache for the entire project, which Premiere has to load into RAM/cache files to operate. Horribly for massive projects, as you've noted. You can use Linked Projects within TP, but it still has limitations.

Productions works completely differently, and it takes a bit of thinking, including dumping many of your normal practices. But when applied, it's comparatively blazingly fast to load and operate.

In Premiere, create a New Production. Premiere actually creates a new folder on-disc and puts inside that folder the Production file.

And now the major differences begin ... right-click on the Production panel, and Create New Folder ... which again, will be a folder on disc. Create a folder structure for your project, similar to how you created Bins before.

Say you have a Media bin, and within that bin you have sub-bins for Day 1, Day 2.

For a Production then, you would probably have a Media folder, and subfolders for Day 1 and Day 2.

Now the really weird begins!

In the Day 1 folder, right-click Create Project. In that new project, import/ingest ONLY the Day 1 media.

Do the same in the Day 2 folder ... create a Day 2 Media project, with only the Day 2 media.

Do the same for other assets, like Sequences, Audio files, Graphics, Stills, whatnot. Each gets a folder within the larger folder tree, and within folders, its own project file.

What this accomplishes is separate the storage of Premiere's "Master Clip" data into very usable bits, that are all tied together through that Production file uptop. But Premiere only needs access a small part of the total data at any one point. And once you've used it, you never, ever want to go back to single project file operation.

When you open the Production to work, you can access any and all of the project files within that production. It uses the Premiere collaboration tools for mulitple users working within the production, and while one is working with a sequence another can open the sequence but can't change it. But you can open a sequence in-use, copy things as it is showing on your screen, and then add that copied bit to another sequence you're working on.

Drag/drop clips from their 'bin' project to a 'sequences' project, and it does NOT duplicate the Master Clip data within that project ... it just accesses the needed data from the project where that media now 'lives'.

It's how the "Hollywood" unit sets up the major movie and broadcast productions for those clients. And now available for all.

You can also take your current project, add that to a Production, and separate the bits out into a full Production workflow.

• Create a new Production folder.
  • Add the current Premiere Pro project to that production.
  • Create the folders, subfolders and projects, as essentially a duplication of the organization within the current project.
  • Drag/drop assets from the current project to their new homes.
  • When done emptying that project, just delete it.

That is what you need to do. Yea, waiting for HOURS for Premiere to load all that data is painful. But now, totally unnecessary.

Neil

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Productions Workflow for Long Form & Episodic PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, you're effing amazing.  this is why I try and scan this forum every day or so.  always learning new things and learning how to solve problems before they happen on my watch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Neil,

First of all I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I've never heard or read about this before and looks like to be the exact thing we will establish from now on from the start of every production in our house, i will name my firstborn after you. 

Sadly we are close to finishing the final product.
(6 Episodes, 4k Multicamera Setups, 6TB Footage, 10 min each, with extensive dynamic link, motion graphics & vfx)

The major issue we are facing right now is that we still need to go into each Premiere Project (Split by episode)
And do our final touch ups for color, vfx, sound etc.
Due to the problem mentioned above this is not possible in time.

So we are looking now to migrate all 6 Episodes Premiere Project Files into a Premiere Production.

The first episode migrated in seconds,
However once we started to migrate other episodes timelines & footage - Production crashed immediatly. 

Right now we are migrating Episode 4 into Productions without any crashes but the progress bar hasen't moved in 1 hour.
progress.PNG
(Time indicator is still running)

Are we missing a trick to migrate projects faster into Productions or do we have be patient?
Should we remove footage from the original file locations on the NAS?
We deleted scratch disk's & Media Caches on the NAS now, was that the right call to make?
Once the Project migrated into Production will the switch be quicker between editors?

Again, thanks so much for your time, i really appreciate the elaborate help.

Best Regards,
Dennis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the problem is replacing the cache/scratch disk stuff ... I know that can take a long time with massive projects.

When migrating, it's probably wise to take it slowly ... make sure one new project can be opened and looked through. Save the project before creating the next one.  That way, if there is an issue, you know exactly where it starts.

And once this is in full operation in Production, you should be able to switch editors pretty quickly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil,

Thanks again for taking your time with us.

We have fixed the issue by opening each project on the original editors PC (Opening time up 3 hours)
Then using project manager to collect all the files.

Importing the project manager project files into Productions has been quick and easy.

Now that we have migrated to Premiere Productions everything runs smooth and switching projects is a fraction of a second.

Thank you so much for all your effort.

Best,
Dennis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're moving forward much faster now, though ... I wish the migration had been easier.

And thanks so much for posting the process  you needed to use. If their 'manuals' actually included enough information, we users wouldn't need quite so much floundering about asking each other.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool thread!

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines