• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere stuck when importing AE files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new empty project. Whenever I try to import an After Effects file, either by dragging it in, or using File>Import, Premiere freezes and I have to force quit. It always freezes on the "import files" dialogue (see screenshot), and never gives me an option to choose a composition to import.

Importing any other type of file works fine. I have tried emptying the cache of both programs and restarting with no luck. Any tips would be appreciated. This just started happening today. Thanks!Screenshot (115).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

1. Make sure you have the same version of both programs.  Dynamic Link won't work between 2017 and 2015.

2. Use the Media Browser to navigate to the AE project file and import from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Make sure you have the same version of both programs.  Dynamic Link won't work between 2017 and 2015.

2. Use the Media Browser to navigate to the AE project file and import from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it turns out that Premiere had saved my workspace as a dual monitor workspace, so with importing a file, the dialogue box showed up on the second monitor, even though I only had one at this time. So if anyone encounters this problem, it could have to do with switching from two monitors to one, and Premiere is remembering your dual monitor layout.

However your tip of using the media browser is a great fail-safe if anyone has this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use two monitors and I haven't switched. So now I am stuck on this. Seems like I can hit ESCAPE to cancel the import but never complete it. I tried to reset my workspaces but that didn't help. How do you get out of this cul-de-sac? Media browser just lands me in the same pickle.

Edit: I was helped by Adobe Support on this case. You need to close the applications first, then

1. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

2. Rename the folder "Adobe" to "Adobe.old" or delete it

3. Go to C:\Users\<username>\Documents

4. Rename the folder Adobe to "Adobe.old" or delete it.

Then restart the software and try to import again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't help 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I solved this problem. But it's a little different.

end all the programs.

1. C:\Users\ <User name> \AppData\Roaming\Adobe

2. Rename the folder "Premiere Pro" to "Premiere Pro.old" or delete it

3. Go to C:\Users\ <User name> \Documents\Adobe

4. Rename the folder "Premiere Pro" to "Premiere Pro.old" or delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the speed of your machine and the complexity of your AE project, it could be normal for unusually high import times.

Third-party effects used in AE might also be a source of confusion for Premiere.

You could troubleshoot by turning off layers in AE that you think might be problematic / resource-heavy, and then try importing into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have this issue on 2015.2 too. It was working when i was using a dual monitor. But now it just does not seem to work. Freezes right in import area just as same as the screenshot above. I am not able to use higher versions because my laptop is too old for it, barely handling this 2015.2. But I can't believe this issue is still on 2017.

I could use the Media Browser method but that only allows me to select only one composition in the AE project. I couldnt find anything to just import the whole AE file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem right now, it just started happening with a group of videos that i am creating. The files worked fine for the last 2 weeks. Now that the videos are due (today) and approved after i make 1 more edit. I can not get the files to open with the after-effects links and Premier will not allow me to relink the media, import the media, or drag in the media.

The after effect files were imported in last week and have worked fine up until this morning.

I am on the most up to date on both programs.

please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. 
Pr/ AE 2021. Macbook Air, M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing After Effects projects is impossible. 
Not by draggin and dropping.
Not by using Media Browser.
Not by importing.
Not by using Adobe Dynamic Link > import After Effects composition.

I love Adobe for the possibilities but things like this overshadow the awesomenes. I spend a LOT of time trying to find workarounds to do stuff that should just work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extra info: it works in Premiere Pro Beta. I can save the project and open in again in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines