Highlighted

Premiere timeline skips backwards a few frames during playback

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example:

https://imgur.com/a/iqnEXzm

I haven't opened this project in 5 months or so (when it was working fine). When I opened it today, in Premiere 12.1.2 (Build 69), it upgraded the project, and seemed fine, except playback skips back. For example, after 10 frames of playback, it skips backwards 5 frames, etc etc, giving the video playback a stutter. You can see the skip back not only in the video, but hear it in the audio, and see the play head skip backwards.

This also occurs when previewing a clip not on the timeline.

Fixed it by following this breadcrumb and disabling my audio input device.

Since the last this worked, I obtained a Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card that when set as the default input audio device, causes this behavior, and at least once caused the video to skip forward instead of backwards.

This seems like a bug you (Adobe) have had since 2016 at least. I can repro this 100%, and fix it with this change. What logs can I give you so we can fix this old bug in your extremely expensive software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere timeline skips backwards a few frames during playback

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example:

https://imgur.com/a/iqnEXzm

I haven't opened this project in 5 months or so (when it was working fine). When I opened it today, in Premiere 12.1.2 (Build 69), it upgraded the project, and seemed fine, except playback skips back. For example, after 10 frames of playback, it skips backwards 5 frames, etc etc, giving the video playback a stutter. You can see the skip back not only in the video, but hear it in the audio, and see the play head skip backwards.

This also occurs when previewing a clip not on the timeline.

Since the last this worked, I obtained a Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card that when set as the default input audio device, causes this behavior, and at least once caused the video to skip forward instead of backwards.

This seems like a bug you (Adobe) have had since 2016 at least. I can repro this 100%, and fix it with this change. What logs can I give you so we can fix this old bug in your extremely expensive software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seemingly fixed this by disabling the audio input in premiere preferences.

If this is a bug, Adobe you gotta fix this asap. I turned down a client meeting yesterday because I didn't want to show them my work skipping all the time. It's not a good look!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened on my killer new editing machine build. First time I opened Pr. I put a 5 second white color matte and it started to jump. Thought I was going to have to return all of the build components.

Thanks for finding the issue.

Hard to believe it's still an issue 4+ years later.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having this issue and stumbled upon this thread.  This fix worked for me as well.  So stupid,  I am not even using audio in on my project. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0