Highlighted

Premiere to Davinci RoundTrip Linkning

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to keep it short. It's a bit complicated... 

I've developed my own workflow to roundtrip color correction from Premiere to Resolve and back. I render out all graded footage in Resolve at the source resolution, offline original media then relink all source files via timecode and tape name to the graded footage. This brings in the raw graded footage without any effects baked in, allowing me to pick up where I left off editing without having to reapply effects or anything. This is what I believe to be your standard "Round Trip" concept and it works like a dream! Except.....

My issue lies when a single clip is used for multiple instances. No, not duplicated frames, just multiple instances cut from the same clip at different moments. 

When I relink footage, despite my best efforts, the later instances of a single clip will always link back to the first clip with the original source name. 

I have tried duplicating the source file in the project bin, replacing the clip in the timeline with the duplicated file, renaming the duplicates to an original name, renaming duplicate files "tape names" and all sorts of other configurations. 

I'm at a loss. It's so close to being perfect. How can I solve the issue of creating unique files from clips with multimple instances?

TOPICS
Editing, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere to Davinci RoundTrip Linkning

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to keep it short. It's a bit complicated... 

I've developed my own workflow to roundtrip color correction from Premiere to Resolve and back. I render out all graded footage in Resolve at the source resolution, offline original media then relink all source files via timecode and tape name to the graded footage. This brings in the raw graded footage without any effects baked in, allowing me to pick up where I left off editing without having to reapply effects or anything. This is what I believe to be your standard "Round Trip" concept and it works like a dream! Except.....

My issue lies when a single clip is used for multiple instances. No, not duplicated frames, just multiple instances cut from the same clip at different moments. 

When I relink footage, despite my best efforts, the later instances of a single clip will always link back to the first clip with the original source name. 

I have tried duplicating the source file in the project bin, replacing the clip in the timeline with the duplicated file, renaming the duplicates to an original name, renaming duplicate files "tape names" and all sorts of other configurations. 

I'm at a loss. It's so close to being perfect. How can I solve the issue of creating unique files from clips with multimple instances?

TOPICS
Editing, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 14, 2020 0

Have something to add?